• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6shooterTX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    San Antonio, TX
    Anyone have a Hornady AP rusting in multiple spots where there is no paint? Also a few of their dies are have rust spots as well. I live in a relatively dry area (hill country). It started at about 2 years after purchase and continues to come back even if I get it polished up again.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Anyone have a Hornady AP rusting in multiple spots where there is no paint? Also a few of their dies are have rust spots as well. I live in a relatively dry area (hill country). It started at about 2 years after purchase and continues to come back even if I get it polished up again.

There is iron in there and it oxidizes over time. Lower humidity slows it down but it still happens. Polish it up and apply some oil like you would your firearms. You could even treat some of those surfaces with a little Rust-oleum spray bomb. Some things like the dies I would treat with a coating of oil.

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    I have had the LnL for 10 years...since the Barry ammo run of 2010. I get the surface rust on the powder dispenser mostly...like the linkages, the side of the dispenser cylinder itself. And a little surface rust down around the case feed guide. Doesn't seem to cause any issues.

Attachments

• A416E7ED-CB88-485A-B4C1-F8F29A2F730A.jpeg
      A416E7ED-CB88-485A-B4C1-F8F29A2F730A.jpeg
      15 KB · Views: 354

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I’ll check mine as soon as I get up.

I just got 500 cases in the pin tumbler after decapping and bulge busting.

This is all I can do since my LNL bench is covered with Wolf/Tula for sale. See the sales forum.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Do you have a pool? Or any other reason for storing chlorine powders or tablets? If so, store your pool stuff and your reloading stuff in separate buildings if possible. Those chemicals will initiate rust in a hurry. I learned the hard way.

6shooterTX

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    San Antonio, TX
    Do you have a pool? Or any other reason for storing chlorine powders or tablets? If so, store your pool stuff and your reloading stuff in separate buildings if possible. Those chemicals will initiate rust in a hurry. I learned the hard way.
    No pool or any chemicals in garage. But I do have a water softener about 10 ft away which holds 30+ of salt tablets, but the tank has a lid. Could that be it?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    If you touch any unfinished metal surface,it will rust almost immediately. In general,it doesn't hurt a thing. I've been reloading for over 4 decades,all of my dies are surface rusted on the outside,as well as other reloading tools & presses.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    On the AP paint any bare metal. Remoil works well to help prevent rust. Did both when I used to reload in my garage.

But yeah, it doesn't hurt anything besides the cosmetics.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom