• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I absolutely love homemade bread. But I have tried several different bread recipes over the years, and just don't have a knack for making bread. My stepmom, when I lived at home, made homemade bread all the time. Several different types actually.

Last Saturday evening, at the restaurant the wife and I have been frequenting for a few months now, we were talking with the cook and she shared a super easy bread recipe that we tried out. And it was super easy and the bread came out great. We tried it out Sunday evening.

12 ozs. of beer. (any beer will work. we used Budweiser since it was in sale at the store.)

1 1/2 cups of self rising flour.

1 tsp. of salt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients well. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Depending upon the size of the loaf pan, might take two of them. Bake for about 30 minutes.
    Capitol Armory ad

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    I absolutely love homemade bread. But I have tried several different bread recipes over the years, and just don't have a knack for making bread. My stepmom, when I lived at home, made homemade bread all the time. Several different types actually.

Last Saturday evening, at the restaurant the wife and I have been frequenting for a few months now, we were talking with the cook and she shared a super easy bread recipe that we tried out. And it was super easy and the bread came out great. We tried it out Sunday evening.

12 ozs. of beer. (any beer will work. we used Budweiser since it was in sale at the store.)

1 tsp. of salt.

Mix all ingredients well. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Depending upon the size of the loaf pan, might take two of them. Bake for about 30 minutes.
    Gonna need some pictures before you eat it next time :)
    Any substitute for the beer?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Gonna need some pictures before you eat it next time :)
    Any substitute for the beer?

I'm just guessing that there wouldn't be, because I think the beer adds the yeast the bread needs to be bread.

Just guessing. Bread uses yeast, to be bread though. And beer contains yeast.

The two loafs we made yesterday, didn't taste like beer at all. The flavor was very similar to sourdough bread.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

1 tsp. of salt.

Interesting. We may have to give this a try. We buy the Rhodes frozen rolls at HEB (when they have them) and they are pretty easy and darn good, too.
    Nothing is better than those fresh, soft rolls right from the oven with some butter on them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Interesting. We may have to give this a try. We buy the Rhodes frozen rolls at HEB (when they have them) and they are pretty easy and darn good, too.
    Nothing is better than those fresh, soft rolls right from the oven with some butter on them.

We have tried those too, and they are great. Same luck though. Can't always find them though. Brookshire's carries them sometimes though.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I find bread baking to be absolutely effort free and takes no time at all.

My wonderful better half bakes it...

I'm lucky enough to be married to a pastry chef/baker.

While she makes baking epic bread look easy, I've found that trying to follow the classical method for making traditional sourdough loaves is anything but easy.

My bread story: For her birthday maybe 20 years ago, part of the surprise is that I'm going to bake epic, traditional sourdough for her. So I buy perhaps the best book on the topic in the world, Bread Alone, by Daniel Leader. Daniel and my wife worked together on many baking projects over a number of years, and she always told me he was a sourdough genius. We used to eat at his bakery regularly, and it certainly tasted that way.

So the book requires that you make a sourdough starter, and care/feed the starter, the longer the better for a more complex character of taste. Some of the most complex sourdough starters in the world have been going for over a century, some for centuries, if you believe the claims. I decided on 6 months.

So for 6 months I'm feeding and maintaining this starter, all in secret, which in and of itself was quite the feat. I'm baking practice loaves when she's out so I get halfway decent at it. About a month out, I'm ordering the last shipment of custom-milled grain for the flour from her favorite mill, and I'm getting ultra-rare pink sea salt from a friend on Kauai, all the pieces moving into place. I ordered this artisan butter from Vermont which was, even back then, like 38 bucks a pound. This is going to be a serious piece of toast.

The big weekend comes. I've got it all worked out, get her out of the house with this friend and that friend, because I need days for the bread to proof and rest and etc, etc, etc. So I spend a while developing the dough by hand, but even Daniel's book says you can cheat and use a KitchenAid or similar to develop the dough for a small part of the time, so I put the dough in the KitchenAid, and turn it on. It starts doing its thing, moving the dough around in a bowl; I've got the timer set for just 2 minutes.

I start to turn towards the refrigerator to put something away, and in that instant, with the KitchenAid and my precious dough in the bowl still in my field of view, a huge cockroach sprints out from nowhere, up into the mixing bowl, and is immediately ground into a million pieces and distributed throughout my precious dough.

And that's the end of my bread story :(

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    A wonderful neighbor / new friend of ours gave us some sourdough starter a couple weeks ago. We made bread with it for the first time last week. Turned out great! This is the recipe we used...

The prep is easy, its just that sourdough takes longer (because of the time you have to let it rise) but its super easy.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    You're right -- I probably would not notice the difference, but my wife is a so-called "supertaster"....she would notice, so in the trash it went!
    Okay, fine, we at TGT missed out. Dang.
    But you did try again, right? IT was a good plan and well executed for the most part. You tried again?

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Okay, fine, we at TGT missed out. Dang.
    But you did try again, right? IT was a good plan and well executed for the most part. You tried again?

Never again! The only good thing that came of it was that

1) there were enough leftover ingredients that my wife was able to make some really good Pain au Levain, and
    2) it serves as an object proof for Steinbeck's truism "the best-laid plans of mice and men..."

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I believe there is as much art as there is science to making good bread. Some people just also have a talent for making great bread. My stepmother was one of them.

I had had homemade bread many times before, but it was usually on some special occasions and such. When My father remarried, we pretty much stopped buying store bought bread! My stepmom cooked at least two loaves a day it seemed! The mixer she used to make bread with, was already an antique when I was a teenager. I'll bet it's close to 100 years old by now.

Top Bottom