• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Who are y’all using?
    We like USAA, but their rates were nowhere near competitive.

We’re with Nationwide.
    They’re the lowest my broker offers.
    I didn’t personally shop around, but my broker reps a ton of companies so I take their word for it.
    Target Sports

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Price of materials went up. Cost of doing business went up (gas, insurance, employees), general inflation, etc. On top of that think of modern houses being built in the last 10 years. Everything is open floor plan. If your dishwasher fails and damages the wood floor in the kitchen, many insurance companies are forced by the policy to pay for the floor in the kitchen, laundry room, dining room, bathroom, living room, 4 bedrooms, mud room, bonus room, 6 closets, plus baseboards, paint the walls, move the furniture out, pay for a hotel for 2 weeks, and meals for a family of 5. Oh and then its found out the floors go under the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, so those too have to be replaced. A simple failed dishwasher turns into a $50,000 claim. I work as an insurance adjuster and I've paid for so many claims just like that scenario. On top of that there are companies like ServPro and Servicemaster that charge $5000 and up to "dry" these damaged materials, ward off mold, and mess up your house for a couple weeks before repairs begin.

I'm not myopic for the companies I have personally worked for, and I always tell people to disregard those who have never had an actual claim for damages to their home because "every time I call them to chat about my policy they're just so nice!" doesn't count. Just about everyone in North Texas will have a claim for roof damage some time during their homeowner experience. Adjusters have bad days just like everyone else, but whats important is having a decent carrier that will generally take care of you, admit fault and correct mistakes when they happen, and get you on your way again. Shopping around thinking you're saving $400 a year only to find out when you have a claim their adjusters are poorly trained and over worked, and the policy is kinda crap for getting you covered. Even the company I work for is doing some unfavorable stuff with some covered perils, but the stories I hear from contractors say its much worse at the "I saved a bunch of money with xyz" carrier. Theres usually a reason they're priced lower, and not because they want you to have more spending cash.
    The price of materials peaked and has gone down.

I once believed "stay with the insurance company that takes care of you". Until I found out that really none of them do anymore.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Yep, you are just a number to them. I foolishly thought the same thing. Had cars and house with Farmers for 20 years and never checked them against anyone else due to the history I had with them. About 13 or 14 years ago, they jacked up my rates due to whatever disaster happened that year and they had to spread out the cost of the payouts even though I wasn’t directly affected by whatever the disaster was. I shopped around and discovered I was getting screwed on both home and auto through them. I switched and haven’t even considered them since that time.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Yep, you are just a number to them. I foolishly thought the same thing. Had cars and house with Farmers for 20 years and never checked them against anyone else due to the history I had with them. About 13 or 14 years ago, they jacked up my rates due to whatever disaster happened that year and they had to spread out the cost of the payouts even though I wasn’t directly affected by whatever the disaster was. I shopped around and discovered I was getting screwed on both home and auto through them. I switched and haven’t even considered them since that time.
    I had similar experience with State Farm. Dropped them on auto and home policies and went to USAA. Saved enough in lower premiums to add earthquake and flood insurance.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I had similar experience with State Farm. Dropped them on auto and home policies and went to USAA. Saved enough in lower premiums to add earthquake and flood insurance.

Keep an eye on USAA....when we switched to Germania, we saved almost $500/year. They're a LITTLE higher on the cars, but not having to renew policies every 6 months and remembering to put the new card in the glove box was worth it!

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom