• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Looking into have a natural gas generator installed at my parents' home.
    The choices are Generac, Cummins, and Kohler.
    What are your recommendations?
    It depends. If money is no concern, then Cummins or Kohler. Do they have, or in the future may have medical conditions that need constant power? Cummins or Kohler. Are they somewhere with frequent power disruptions? Cummins or Kohler. See the pattern?
    As an electrician I installed and serviced several different sets. Generacs are ok. And in my experience generally fail pretty immediately, or last fairly well. In fact my mother in law has a 20kw generac that has been pretty trouble free. But for peace of mind for anyone that I cared about that I wasn't able to immediately help myself, it would be Cummins or Kohler.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    In an industrial setting (e.g., units probably twice as big as the typical home installation), we never had a Generac fail. Just perform the annual maintenance. But that experience is probably not as big a sample size as I's.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    In an industrial setting (e.g., units probably twice as big as the typical home installation), we never had a Generac fail. Just perform the annual maintenance. But that experience is probably not as big a sample size as I's.
    The generac commercial series are abit of a different animal. But they also put you into a price point that's Cummins or Kohler territory..
    The biggest take away is, don't cheap out on a backup generator unless you have the ability to fix it/nurse it along your self as needed. If it's for something important, buy what works..

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    We installed a 30kw generac commercial unit for a farmers house. It was a Fiat (iirc) straight 4 or 6. It ran 30 min before dumping all its coolant then going into shutdown. I don't think I ever heard what the issue was, and that generac themselves came out to sort it out.
    There was another unit similar, that we didn't install that we looked at. It was a few years old, and would not start, then lock itself into overcrank and not even try. I don't think I ever saw the conclusion of that one either.
    That's not a knock on generac per se. But I was going to say i'd never seen a generic commercial model fail till I remembered these..

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Oh man people will get straight up religious about generator brands, all while knowing nothing about them beyond the name on the side and what they regurgitate from other shit online. Ask them to change the oil and they don't even know they use oil. So ... Get ready :)

There's two major classes of standby generator: Air cooled 3,600 RPM gaseous, and water cooled 1,800 RPM gaseous or diesel. The former mostly use two cylinder engines around 1 liter total displacement, and require much more frequent attention and maintenance. The water cooled units will be 4 or more cylinder engines, often sourced from well proven automotive history and now built under license by dedicated commercial power manufacturers. The alternators themselves aren't manufactured by the names on the side of the box, so that doesn't tell a full story either. But again, there's two major types of alternator - regular brushed, or self-excited / brushless. Ideally you'd want the second option from each category, but you're going to pay for it both in cost and in physical size.

Since most people go with smaller air-cooled 3,600 rpm generators, the choice would fall more to figuring out who is going to maintain it, who is going to fix it if something goes wrong, and other logistical questions. These things aren't rocket science at all. Just an engine coupled to an alternator with a controller making it all work. They all have roughly the same track record on reliability, and you'll see people point out some pretty clear errors. Like Generac had a bad batch of engines they had built on contract a couple years back, where the pushrods came through the rockers. Or the alternators they bought that were scoring the slip rings and burning up brushes almost immediately. Didn't stop me from buying a 26kW Generac though, and it's been solid for me. Ran my house well for just shy of 6 days through Beryl. One thing people don't often know with the air cooled units is they can't run non-stop for an extended duration. You HAVE to shut them down every day or so to check and top up the oil. The larger automotive engine based units can run for at least a week straight with no problem. Many of the small engines also have flat tappets and require a valve lash check and adjustment every now and again.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I've had great luck with a bunch of surplus military MEP units, run on diesel fuel that can be stored longer. Parts are plentiful and they are built well.

Top Bottom