• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I'm looking for a few lights for AR platform rifles/pistols. What lights are yall running? What do you like or not like about them?
    I'm looking at the surefire dual fuel. I like the idea of using cr123 since most of my rifles have eotechs. I'm also considering g the cloud defensive rein/owl. I like the idea of the owl being one piece. I'm a simple guy. I have several olights but I don't are for the rifle lights.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Screenshot_20220728-052306_Gallery.jpg

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Movie bling? Why do you want your location broadcast to the perp? Got a nice small flashlight I can hold at arm's length as target for bad guy. Nice for outside nite 'varmint' or varmint hunting. Don't know why SWAT or FBI use them as they show up at dawn.
    Off subject, I did a nite pistol shooting test (rural, no moon, 11 PM) with 231 & a flash suppressed powder. 231 won. Surprised how fast my night vision came back. And how well I could see the target from muzzle flash for a second or so.
    Whatever.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Movie bling? Why do you want your location broadcast to the perp? Got a nice small flashlight I can hold at arm's length as target for bad guy. Nice for outside nite 'varmint' or varmint hunting. Don't know why SWAT or FBI use them as they show up at dawn.
    Off subject, I did a nite pistol shooting test (rural, no moon, 11 PM) with 231 & a flash suppressed powder. 231 won. Surprised how fast my night vision came back. And how well I could see the target from muzzle flash for a second or so.
    Whatever.
    Some merit there. Personally, in my house I would not start with the light on. But that is particular to my specific situation. I have pretty good night vision, but some folks do not. Depending on the available light, I might well light up the target just prior to pulling the trigger. At times there simply may not be enough light to identify the target with confidence.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Surefire is great. I like my owl and reign. No experience with the 2.0 versions.

The owl is a tank, but the one piece design means that it isn't as flexible as the reign or surefire as far as mounting is concerned.

Surefire still has better switching and modularity. The owl has an odd setup where if you tap the button quickly, that is constant on. Long press is momentary. The reign has a clicky tail cap that is easy to do momentary on, and a tape switch with 2 buttons, momentary and constant. The switch is kinda bulky. Fernel labs? I think? Makes a 3d printed mlok adapter that is pretty nice.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Surefire is great. I like my owl and reign. No experience with the 2.0 versions.

The owl is a tank, but the one piece design means that it isn't as flexible as the reign or surefire as far as mounting is concerned.

Surefire still has better switching and modularity. The owl has an odd setup where if you tap the button quickly, that is constant on. Long press is momentary. The reign has a clicky tail cap that is easy to do momentary on, and a tape switch with 2 buttons, momentary and constant. The switch is kinda bulky. Fernel labs? I think? Makes a 3d printed mlok adapter that is pretty nice.
    Mine are all Surefire. Have been good for 20 plus years.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Streamlight HL-X mounted on an Impact Weapons SBR picatinny mount with the Arisaka adapter so it’s eliminates the issue of shutting off under recoil. The Arisaka also allows the use of Surefire tail caps so I have a UE cap and ST switch sitting in a Cloud Defensive mount.

Probably should have just paid for a Cloud Defensive, Modelite or Surefire from the get go…

Windrunner50

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    Fort Worth
    Surefire for me (yeah pricey) standard X300 on the handgun, as the Ultra is too bright. The M600 Scout series in various beam/lumen variations are tough to beat, they are very robust, and low maintenance with CR123’s. On the long gun try the clicky rear button versus a remote switch, and see which one suits your style. Then train day, low light, and no light.
    Be aware of limitations, and lighting discipline. Remember to get a holster for the new handgun light combo, and enjoy.
    Stay safe.

Josh85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    DFW
    I've tried a ton of lights and now my go to is the Modlite PLHv2 for shorter guns and Modlite OKW for longer guns, they're amazing, better than anything else i've ever used.

Also selling a Cloud Defensive OWL in black and Cloud Defensive Reign 1.0 in FDE if you're interested.

Bci2nd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2019
    Howe
    What color are your walls? Anything over 500 lumens is really bright in small areas with white walls. If its a house specific weapon, flood is better than spot beam.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Just put a 1500lmn Surefire on my next-to-bed rifle.. 500 is good, certainly good enough if the bad guy is creeping in the dark, but 1000+ will make it hard to see even in daylight, giving you an advantage.

My Streamlight 88066 Pro-Tac has been GREAT, but the Surefire is brighter and smaller.

Buy the brightest NAME BRAND light you can afford. It will last for years and you don't want to go cheap/knock-off only to have it fail when you need it whether a low-light class or a defensive situation.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    I've tried a ton of lights and now my go to is the Modlite PLHv2 for shorter guns and Modlite OKW for longer guns, they're amazing, better than anything else i've ever used.

Also selling a Cloud Defensive OWL in black and Cloud Defensive Reign 1.0 in FDE if you're interested.

Retweet on the Modlight OKW on rifles. That's the way to go.

What color are your walls? Anything over 500 lumens is really bright in small areas with white walls. If its a house specific weapon, flood is better than spot beam.
    This is rather outdated advice here.

Bci2nd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2019
    Howe
    Didnt know enough evolution of our vision system has happened to keep up with modern advances in lighting to accommodate for the sudden introduction of 1k+ lumens in a small room environment to also not blind the user and disrupt their own vision temporarily

Top Bottom