• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Just wondering if y’all could give me some recommendations on ammo to have ready for home defense. I have the Ruger AR556. I have been using some inexpensive Federal rounds at the range, and I’m sure they would do well enough for both range and home, but if my families or my life is on the line, I want the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns International

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Personally, I would use a good dear hunting round that is fairly accurate in my rifle. FMJ was not designed to be fatal but to give more humane, less devastating wounds. Hunting rounds are much more effective just like HPs in a pistol. At home defense ranges, anything you can keep in a 2"-3" group at 100 yards would be more than sufficient.
    In a pinch, anything that fires and is fairly accurate would be better than nothing.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I would look specifically for a home defense round like Hornady Critical Defense. They are designed to expand at self defense distances and not over penetrate like hunting rounds.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Although I respect him for his opinion and thank him for his service, I disagree with some of his views. The greater majority of folks are not going to be as trained or have as much experience as he has. I'm sure it works great for him and others that have had the training and experiences he's had, but if we are talking about the average person, I don't think an AR is the best choice.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Personally, I think a .223 is way too much gun for a house/apt. I think a shotgun or a pistol is plenty of firepower and lessens the chance of bullets penetrating walls, etc. Just my two bits.
    While I agree on a pistol being good for indoor use, pistol rounds (at least any decent round) will penetrate walls as well. The .223 tends to tumble after going through the first barrier, so from the test results I have seen it does not penetrate that much more than handgun rounds.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Personally, I think a .223 is way too much gun for a house/apt. I think a shotgun or a pistol is plenty of firepower and lessens the chance of bullets penetrating walls, etc. Just my two bits.

Shotguns and pistols will penetrate more drywall than .223/5.56.

5.56 will still penetrate a lot, but it looses velocity and energy faster than a pistol or shotgun

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Speer gold dot, 75gr. Fed fusion is also ok.

If i couldn't use those 2 loads, id go with IWI razor core in either 69gr ot 77gr

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Are people really comfortable with an AR in situations like this? I guess it just depends on time handling the firearm, whether it's rifle or handgun, I only keep a handgun available for home defense but I should probably look into changing that just for options and just in case... They're pretty much all I shoot, and I could pull my handgun with my eyes closed chamber a round, so it makes sense others are that comfortable/familiar with a rifle as well. I have Remington hollowpoints in mine.

Top Bottom