Holosun 507K on a full size / double stack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    *Disclaimer - yes, I know Holosun is Chinesium. I try to avoid Chinesium where I can, but I don't have Trijicon cash right now, and the Holosun sights are getting solid reviews that put them on-par, or better, than the Trijicon counterparts. That said...

I got a killer deal on a 507K. I'd been discussing the topic of pistol RDS with a cousin, and I'd gotten confused on the 507C and K - forgetting the K model is smaller foot print and intended for single stack slim line guns. I've heard in passing on video reviews, and read a bit on other forums that some folks do run these on bigger guns, but cannot find first-hand info on anyone doing so.

I've been slowly modifying my gen 1 M&P 9mm into what I think would be the ideal carry gun. I used to think the M&P 2.0 Compact would be perfect, as it was a G19 size M&P, but after getting one of the first editions of it, I found myself gravitating back to the gen 1 simply because the gen 1 has the beavertail tang that makes for a flatter shooting, more pleasantly recoiling gun. Its not to say the 2.0 is uncontrollable, but it is a snappier gun than I'd figured it would be, and it showcases well how much even the snubby beavertail the Gen 1 full size guns have does in keeping the muzzle from climbing. I wound up chopping the grip of my Gen 1 down to accept the Gen 2 15-round mags, and the barrel length between the 2.0 Compact and the Gen 1 full size is 1/4 inch.

I want to add a pistol red dot to the gun - dot sights are easier for me to pick up, especially when I don't have my glasses on than my iron sights. I used to be a huge "iron-sights all the way" guy, but that's changed as i move less-than comfortably into middle age. Now I am much more appreciative of electronic sights and magnified optics.

To add a sight to my M&P, I"ll have to send the slide off to get milled, or get a 2nd slide that is already optics ready. To use the 507K, I think I'll have to get the slide milled just for it. There are advantages to the K sight over the C the two biggest being:

The 507K when set into a milled slide allows standard-height sights to co-witness, no need to swap to suppressor sights.

Its smaller footprint lends better to concealing it over the larger C sight.

The drawbacks, are that it has a smaller window, and I have been unable to find any accounts as to how the 507K handles the recoil of a full size gun. My simple brain tells me the sight should be subject to less extreme forces than on a micro-pistol, since the smaller guns have a lot more felt-recoil.

Of course I could just send the slide off from my wifey's Shield 2.0 for milling and give her the 507K, and get a 507C for my gun. She might also benefit from a dot sight over the irons, as she's less experienced with pistols. She does fairly well with my dot-equipped ARs. She's not super likely to be carrying much, even with permit-less carry going into effect in ~21 days, so I might wind up carrying that gun on days when carrying the larger gun is less comfortable, or when I need more concealment.

Has anyone run a 507K or similar micro-red dot on a full size or compact double stack gun?
    Guns International

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Cliff Notes:

Has anyone run a 507K or similar micro-red dot on a full size or compact double stack gun?

The 507K will work fine. I run several 507C's in 3-gun, USPSA, and training courses. They all work very well. If you have doubts get a spare to keep in the rotation. Holosun 507's have replaced my RMR as my primary RDS of choice for carry and competition.

FWIW, I'm gonna make a bold statement here and say my irons are pretty much useless to me on my RDS equipped carry guns at this point. I haven't used them since I transitioned to dots. I can turn the dot off and get solid repeatable A zone hits out to 10 yards using the optic window or the top of the optic frame as a reference. Your shots will be a bit low but the RDS body itself can be used as a big iron sight if the dot goes down.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    C3pHKz3.jpg

U73kFv1.jpg

Got the sight in the mail today. I compared it to the width of my M&P slide - it's just a tad narrower than the slide, which will be just fine. Its plenty tall as well. The only thing that might be an issue - the roll pin that holds the extractor in is going to wind up being replaced with a shorter piece, as the front right corner of the sight sits over where the pin is located. Only other option would be deleting the rear iron sight and running the dot only. I don't know if there's enough space to cut a new sight dovetail and run a Glock rear sight in place of the factory Smith & Wesson rear.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Ok- to throw a wrench in the works- what about the new Leupold? It’ll tap right into that rear site dovetail. There’s a recent delta point micro thread that was pretty informative.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Ok- to throw a wrench in the works- what about the new Leupold? It’ll tap right into that rear site dovetail. There’s a recent delta point micro thread that was pretty informative.

Yeah, I started that thread :laughing:

I got this 507 on one hell of a bargain, and its reviews are solid among people who actually use them, not just the no-bad-reviews shills. The Leupold sight might find its way onto another one of my pistols at some point.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I run a 507K on my RIA BBR 3.10. The rear sight milled into the 507k body works for me in my install. I chose to sac the factory rear sight. No regrets.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I run a 507K on my RIA BBR 3.10. The rear sight milled into the 507k body works for me in my install. I chose to sac the factory rear sight. No regrets.
    That's good to know. When I compare the milled in sight to the factory height rear, its the same height and pretty much same gap. Not much vertical rise to it, but whatever. Irons become backup sights at that point anyway.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Got the gun back from the smith today. I've spent about 20 minutes doing dry practice with it, drawing and acquiring the dot. Didn't take long to get to a point of not hunting for it. The dot definitely shows you when you're doing something wrong, I also didn't realize how much tremor I've got in my wrists until mounting it!

jhO2SUL.jpg

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Initially when I talked to the shop, they said they would have to remove the rear sight, mount the dot at the rear, and the plan was to cut a Glock dovetail in front of the RDS. I've been waiting on AmeriGlo to get back to me about which rear sight would best work with the factory front - I get the gun back and they did what I initially asked, which was to mount the dot forward and mill down the roll pin that holds the extractor in. Initially they said they couldn't do that. I was surprised to get the gun back and see that they could, indeed keep the factory rear in fact.

Top Bottom