• deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    HIlarious!

I found two little ones in my bbq smoker a few years ago. Jerky-fied. I guess they lived off the grease, then grew enough they couldn't get out.
    Guns International

Last edited:

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I'm gonna be an ass. Possums only live in Austrailia. We have Opossums.
    semantics.png

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    We had a recently independent baby possum that would chill around the front door looking for bugs. My dad tried to shoo it away and it charged at him. It always left me alone because I left it alone.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My Sister came in all upset because her dogs had killed an opossum. I went out and looked and he was a big boy. Looked none the worse for wear to me. I told her to put the dogs in the house and wait 15 minutes. Sure enough in 15 he was gone. I asked her where she thought the term “ playing opossum “ came from.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I would have completely ignored that instruction.
    Yeah, well, there was some cultural sensitivity attached to that situation. Plus HR ran the plant instead of the managers.

There were always incidents that were so stupid that it was hard to resist laughing about them. Like the guy who managed to injure himself while doing a drug test ("pee-in-a-cup").

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yeah, well, there was some cultural sensitivity attached to that situation. Plus HR ran the plant instead of the managers.

There were always incidents that were so stupid that it was hard to resist laughing about them. Like the guy who managed to injure himself while doing a drug test ("pee-in-a-cup").
    I can see that. But only if you splashed your bosses hot coffee on your wang while giving them their “sample”.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Just don't let one bite you. Their saliva is full of really, really nasty pathogens. Infection is assured and you'll be on heavy duty antibiotics for a couple months.

I chase off the one that cruises across my backyard early in the morning. It's always after my neighbor's chickens. Gardeners like possums because they eat slugs.
    You are thinking of Komodo Dragons.
    Have been nipped plenty of times over my life span as have several dogs and none of what you have described has been required.

As with any animal bite( or any open wound injury), generous amounts of soap and water go a long way to preventing infections.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Once upon a time, in the recording studio by myself, laying down a bass track to a song that was already recorded.

Overdubbing a part like that with only two hands, you gotta punch in at the beginning on an empty track and punch out at the end of the song as it fades out ... IOW, you have to play the entire bass track perfectly in one take, or do it over until you do.

Half way through what felt like it was going to be the best take yet, caught a movement out of the corner of my eye.

A possum had sauntered into the studio from goodness know where, walked up to where I was playing, sat down by my side and proceeded to enjoy the music.

Startled a bit, but too far into a take that felt like a great overdub, I just continued to play. As I held the last note long enough to fade out on, the possum got up and walked out without so much as a Howdy do.

About a week later, in the music venue next door to the studio (Anderson Fair, for those who know Houston), and right in the middle of a performance, a big "rat" under the beer box scared the hell out of the girls behind the bar.

... turned out to be my fan who had previewed my bass overdub.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    You are thinking of Komodo Dragons.
    Have been nipped plenty of times over my life span as have several dogs and none of what you have described has been required.

As with any animal bite( or any open wound injury), generous amounts of soap and water go a long way to preventing infections.
    While I'm well aware of Komodo dragons and their bacteria-ridden bites, I wasn't thinking of them at all. I was thinking of possums, which have exactly the characteristics I described. Same defense/hunting mechanism due to parallel evolution.

Top Bottom