• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danderso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2020
    Fannin Co
    I've got these nice setups for daytime and night, I have the motivation, but hell if I can find anywhere that has hogs and allows me to go hunt them. I know they're around, I find them smeared all over the road here every day. Some as big as I am even!
    Does anyone have a lead on any decent places to go in or near Fannin county Texas? Perhaps open to bringing along someone who's never had the chance to go before?
    DK Firearms

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Just doesn't work that easy.

You gotta earn trust to access private land. Again Not easy.
    Though It can be done.

Asking a forum is like asking for free money or for someones girl friend.

Look up public land hunts. They are few and far between but they exist though it's mostly deer but pigs are everywhere.

Danderso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2020
    Fannin Co
    Just doesn't work that easy.

You gotta earn trust to access private land. Again Not easy.
    Though It can be done.

Asking a forum is like asking for free money or for someones girl friend.

Look up public land hunts. They are few and far between but they exist though it's mostly deer but pigs are everywhere.
    If you never ask you can never be told yes. If there's no interest that's fine, I'm not looking for handouts. In my experience it's at least worth asking if anyone would teach a new hunter.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    ....worth asking if anyone would teach a new hunter."

This too is asking for a freebie.

What might you have to compensate the teacher?

I know the time investment and commitment to teach a new hunter how to be an overall competent hunter is no small task for the teacher...it's isn't just aiming and shooting...

No, I'm not being unkind - What can you trade in return for being taught?

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Check out the Caddo National Grasslands, it is in Fannin county. It has been several years since I hunted there so I don't know the about the hog situation now. It will require you to get a Texas Public Hunting Permit.

Danderso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2020
    Fannin Co
    Hunting won't last more than a few generations if it becomes purely a financial transaction. It's already a quagmire to get involved in with no real in roads. Hunting is already well on its way to becoming a sport only a select few can afford. That said what I have to offer isn't cash or equipment but just a reliable hand to get things done and a willing to learn student that isn't mired in knowing better.

I see Caddo National Grasslands. It's at least worth a look if nothing else.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "It's already a quagmire to get involved in with no real in roads."

OK, why bother then?

Also, I didn't mention cash or equipment.

Maybe you're an expert in tying flies and can teach it in return for being taught how to hunt.

Or, perhaps you have some expertise in any number of other pursuits you can trade in teaching what YOU know.

"That said what I have to offer isn't cash or equipment but just a reliable hand to get things done"

This statement would be fine if: You were a good friend or relative, but you don't offer much on your side of this request.

If you want something, but aren't willing to be generous on your side of things, that equation doesn't hunt here...

Danderso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2020
    Fannin Co
    "that equation doesn't hunt here..."
    Neither do I apparently.

"OK, why bother then?"
    Because the road is obscure and seems to have exclusivity toll booth along it I shouldn't even bother?

So far the impression I've gotten is "what's in it for me?" Which I find disappointing. I don't take without some sort of reciprocation, but treating it like a bartering or financial transaction leaves way too much of a gatekeepers taste in my mouth to be interested.
    On my end, I have no clue how good any teacher would be beforehand. If it's any good I'd happily offer some ammunition or parts, work on their rifle, clean it, anything of the sort. Why would I offer that for some unknown quality when one of the first things I'm asked comes down to "what's in it for me?"

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "So far the impression I've gotten is "what's in it for me?"

And this gem of a paragraph: "On my end, I have no clue how good any teacher would be beforehand. If it's any good I'd happily offer some ammunition or parts, work on their rifle, clean it, anything of the sort. Why would I offer that for some unknown quality when one of the first things I'm asked comes down to "what's in it for me?"

Wow!

Thanks for the wonderfully silly satire...

First, you want free stuff, but hey, that free stuff might not be up to par, (I see you have high standards when you want 'free stuff', but ok, if it is any good, you happily offer 'some ammunition...'

Stop, Stop yer killin me, my ribs are aching with the laughte from what you've posted...it's a rich vein of silly.

Thanks, you've made my day!!

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I lived in Fannin for 20 years until 5 years ago. In general, you want to be friends with someone with a large amount of acreage. There are a few guides/outfitters in Fannin that pay landowners then charge you. Unfortunately, you are still too close to DFW so they charge DFW rates.

Never hit a hog but I've totaled 2 vehicles hitting livestock on Hwy 78 in the dark.

Danderso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2020
    Fannin Co
    Mocking a new hunter is not really a way to get anyone else involved. If an answer is no then outright say it, but mocking is just uncalled for. Wanting free stuff was not even part of the equation here but hey if you want to make me out to be a communist by all means. I've been called worse. I'll have to figure out how to get started on my own. At least that won't be met with insults. I'm unfollowing this thread now and don't expect to be checking up on it anymore. Don't be surprised when in twenty years everyone is wondering why nobody else hunts anymore and the hobby is declining into obscurity.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    It's my baseball and I'm taking it home with me - so there!

Said the guy who thinks 'free stuff' (for him) should be the way the world works...or is just being....playful, not that other word...

hillbilly/gambler is that you?

Back for a bit of fun eh?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Nothing wrong with asking. I let people hunt my 89 acres in Wichita County. And I don't charge them.
    There are apps that one can use apparently to find people that will allow hunting. I am not sure which they are but google may help find one.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Land owners out in my neck of the woods are getting $400ish for a ( one nighter ) hog hunt.

Long gone are the days of free hunting.
    And don’t forget to sign the waiver.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Welcome to Texas.
    Maybe Wyoming or Montana would be a better place to hunt. Oh wait they have the same tactics for hunters all hunters new or seasoned. Property owners don't care they know there's money to be made. If you've never heard the term before it's called Land locked.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Hunting won't last more than a few generations if it becomes purely a financial transaction. It's already a quagmire to get involved in with no real in roads. Hunting is already well on its way to becoming a sport only a select few can afford. That said what I have to offer isn't cash or equipment but just a reliable hand to get things done and a willing to learn student that isn't mired in knowing better.

I see Caddo National Grasslands. It's at least worth a look if nothing else.

I forgot to mention that you can go there and check it out without buying an Annual Public Hunting Permit as long as you are not hunting.

The Bois D'Arc unit is where I used to hunt. And I never explored the Ladonia unit, but it might be worth checking out also.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I missed this one. OP sounds like a transplant. Fannin co is not transplant friendly

Shame I would have taken him hunting too :laughing:

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I missed this one. OP sounds like a transplant. Fannin co is not transplant friendly

Shame I would have taken him hunting too :laughing:
    Came and left in a couple of days. Shame, his opening act was not too smooth, and we were not very easy on him. He should have watched from the cheap seats for a spell, or meet up, like at the gun show next weekend, before he stepped in to the shit, maybe would have gone better.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MTA

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Mocking a new hunter is not really a way to get anyone else involved. If an answer is no then outright say it, but mocking is just uncalled for. Wanting free stuff was not even part of the equation here but hey if you want to make me out to be a communist by all means. I've been called worse. I'll have to figure out how to get started on my own. At least that won't be met with insults. I'm unfollowing this thread now and don't expect to be checking up on it anymore. Don't be surprised when in twenty years everyone is wondering why nobody else hunts anymore and the hobby is declining into obscurity.
    Christ almighty grow the phuck up.

Public land and hunting opportunities in Texas are few. Just like shooting spots, people aren't just gonna hand out the info.

You are taking the responses wrong. Didn't even give your post time enough to be seen by enough people. You might get some good leads if you give it a few weeks.

Hunting in places like Texas and other states with limited public land will always be financial transactions. It's just the way it is. The land owners have a right to use their resource that way. You pay meet peopl and network and might find other opportunities.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I am seriously slacking if I missed this one. Glad someone broke it to him nicely. I wouldn’t have after the first couple of responses.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom