• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    I’ve been recovering from the Covid and finally got a chance to go to my place in Buffalo a few weeks ago. I was in no shape to hit the field so me and a were setting in front of the house enjoying the beautiful Texas night sky and scaning every few minutes with my thermal. We had been outside for about an hour joking and carrying on when I spotted a hog slinking across the yard to the pond. Luckily I had my pig gun near by, dropped him at 50 yards. Worst thing was we had to get the 4wheelers out to drag him
    image.jpg
    off. Dam I was wiped out after that...
    image.jpg
    Guns International

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    Can you describe said "pig gun"?
    I am just interested in what folks use for the job.

I’m using a fraken AR in 7.62x39. The upper is a PSA A2 that I cut the A2 front sight post off, Magpul MOE handguard with a extended battery mounted and a Strike ind King Comp. It’s been reliable and deadly accurate out to 200 yards. It’s topped with Sightmark Photon Digital NV scope. I was shooting Honardy 123SST through it but those have dried up so I’m using Silver Bear 124SP which doesn’t group as good as the Honardy but the piggies don’t seem to mind.

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    So, you had it.
    Glad you are better.

Did you isolate yourself from family?
    Thanks it was a Real ball buster!!! I was very lucky and didn’t have the breathing issues but the worst body aches ever! My bones and joints aches and the fever would go away and come back with a vengeance, I had vertigo and my tinnitus is Worse than ever. The symptoms lasted about Seven Weeks! I’m still week with constant fatigue and headaches and shortness of breath and BP issues.
    No Kiddos at home just my Wife the Angel she is. By the Grace of God She didn’t get it. But we wore masks and I slept in the spare bedroom.
    I tell everyone, don’t take this stuff lightly, it’s seriously bad $hit.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Great shot! Those are fun and make you proud. So the question remains - are you a wild hog eater or a wild hog eradicator?
    Why would anyone who aint starving dress out a feral hog in this heat? I have some older friends in Palestine who trapped hogs for years. Caught hogs were transferred to pens on their places. They made good money @ this for years. Half the business was asian from Dallas. They were the only ones I ever seen dress out hogs in the heat. Many times the dead hog was gutted & thrown in the back of a pick up without ice & driven home. The thought of that really scared me. I watched another asian guy dress out & skin 3 shoats on August. Those were put in trash bags & driven away. He had neither cooler nor plans for ice.

Now if I was starving I suppose I would pull the loins off a hog & the meat going straight on the grill. No way in hell would I be dressing them out & processing the meat outside a walk in cooler.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Can you describe said "pig gun"?
    I am just interested in what folks use for the job.

kbaxter60,

ImVho, most ANY CF rifle/carbine is suitable as a hog-killer out to at least 100M. = My older brother (Rick) has killed more feral pigs than I would even want to "haul off" with his little .32-20WCF carbine, which is not much "more gun" than most of our forum members EDC handguns are.
    (Rick is DEADLY with any firearm that he owns & MUCH better as a marksman than I ever was.)

ADDENDA: MY "little brother" Ed (Ed is 70" tall & weighs about 240 muscular pounds) has a British made single-shot "garden gun" in .380 centerfire from 1896 & has taken MANY feral pigs with it, as it makes so little noise. = A group of hogs won't even "look up" if they are more than 25M away from where Ed is concealed, so you can usually take several pigs before they notice that their "friends" are falling over.
    The .380 CF is about the same power as a .38SPL. = It is NO LOUDER than a typical .22 caliber PELLET GUN with it's 25" barrel. = 150 grains of soft lead at about 600FPS into the ear KILLS QUICKLY.
    (Btw, Ed was shooting "paper" at an Izaak Walton range in VA a few years ago, when a BATFE agent showed him his badge & thereafter asked him to see the rifle AND to see "your NFA tax stamp". - After examining the rifle, the BATFE guy said, "You better be glad that that rifle is PRE-1898 as otherwise I would have arrested for having an UNTAXED NFA suppressed weapon.", paused & then said "This rifle is an assassin's dream.")

Fwiw, my PET firearm for most anything that is NOT larger than a big WT is a circa 1954 REMINGTON Model 760 in .300SAV.
    (Because I usually have it in the SUV when I'm "out & about" it takes MANY more "wee piggies:" for the BBQ pit than any other firearm that I own.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    (Btw, Ed was shooting "paper" at an Izaak Walton range in VA a few years ago, when a BATFE agent showed him his badge & thereafter asked him to see the rifle AND to see "your NFA tax stamp". - After examining the rifle, the BATFE guy said, "You better be glad that that rifle is PRE-1898 as otherwise I would have arrested for having an UNTAXED NFA suppressed weapon.", paused & then said "This rifle is an assassin's dream.")

I'd sure like someone to explain this to me.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    ADDENDA: MY "little brother" Ed (Ed is 70" tall & weighs about 240 muscular pounds) has a British made single-shot "garden gun" in .380 centerfire from 1896 & has taken MANY feral pigs with it, as it makes so little noise. = A group of hogs won't even "look up" if they are more than 25M away from where Ed is concealed, so you can usually take several pigs before they notice that their "friends" are falling over.
    The .380 CF is about the same power as a .38SPL. = It is NO LOUDER than a typical .22 caliber PELLET GUN with it's 25" barrel. = 150 grains of soft lead at about 600FPS into the ear KILLS QUICKLY.
    What's the "brand"???

Top Bottom