• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PewInTheMornin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2019
    San Antonio
    *Please note - for all of this, your mileage may vary*

I own both a USP 9 and 9c, each with the LEM trigger variant. If you're focused on the DA/SA setup (or can't find an LEM), definitely buy it, shoot it - as someone else suggested, and then upgrade/change the trigger-feel to your preference. Most have stated the DA is not great, which is true, but trust me it's even worse on the LEM variants. However, the LEM is only meant to utilize "true DA" as a second-strike function.

Obviously, I prefer the LEM. But if I owned a DA/SA variant, I too would change the trigger system with a Match Trigger: smoother feel + shorter reset + over travel adjustment - overall pull weight = niiice!

As for ergonomics: The full-size has a grip "length" (frontstrap to back) about the same as a Glock without the finger grooves. But the USP is more oval in the grip profile and feels good in the hand. The grip height has been criticized as "short" for those with med-large to large hands. The texture on the sides of the grips, I feel are adequate, but others say aren't aggressive enough. If the stock mag-release pinches during reloads or is just too small, replace it with the HK45's and you're all set!

Shooting characteristics: There is no denying USPs have a higher bore axis compared to most striker-fired pistols. And with the slide on the USP built initially for the 'umph' of the .40S&W, the reciprocating mass on the 9mm versions (even with the milled-out portions) is greater than its modern striker-fired brethren. So, they're not the "flattest" of shooters.

Mags: Yes, you'll pay five to ten dollars more depending on where you buy. I feel this cost is relative to the initial investment of any USP.

Bottom Line: IMHO one of the most reliable combat pistols ever made. Worth every penny. Out of the box, these pistols are combat/duty ready. I changed the stock sights on my USP9c to Trijicon HDs in orange. On the full size, it came from the factory with Meprolights. For holsters I use G-Code, which are great for both IWB and OWB.

Last thing - Have you bought it yet??

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    *Please note - for all of this, your mileage may vary*

I own both a USP 9 and 9c, each with the LEM trigger variant. If you're focused on the DA/SA setup (or can't find an LEM), definitely buy it, shoot it - as someone else suggested, and then upgrade/change the trigger-feel to your preference. Most have stated the DA is not great, which is true, but trust me it's even worse on the LEM variants. However, the LEM is only meant to utilize "true DA" as a second-strike function.

Obviously, I prefer the LEM. But if I owned a DA/SA variant, I too would change the trigger system with a Match Trigger: smoother feel + shorter reset + over travel adjustment - overall pull weight = niiice!

As for ergonomics: The full-size has a grip "length" (frontstrap to back) about the same as a Glock without the finger grooves. But the USP is more oval in the grip profile and feels good in the hand. The grip height has been criticized as "short" for those with med-large to large hands. The texture on the sides of the grips, I feel are adequate, but others say aren't aggressive enough. If the stock mag-release pinches during reloads or is just too small, replace it with the HK45's and you're all set!

Shooting characteristics: There is no denying USPs have a higher bore axis compared to most striker-fired pistols. And with the slide on the USP built initially for the 'umph' of the .40S&W, the reciprocating mass on the 9mm versions (even with the milled-out portions) is greater than its modern striker-fired brethren. So, they're not the "flattest" of shooters.

Mags: Yes, you'll pay five to ten dollars more depending on where you buy. I feel this cost is relative to the initial investment of any USP.

Bottom Line: IMHO one of the most reliable combat pistols ever made. Worth every penny. Out of the box, these pistols are combat/duty ready. I changed the stock sights on my USP9c to Trijicon HDs in orange. On the full size, it came from the factory with Meprolights. For holsters I use G-Code, which are great for both IWB and OWB.

Last thing - Have you bought it yet??

Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, I have a .40 & .45 Tactical.
    And a .45 compact.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I own the USP 9 Tactical, and a variety of other HK firearms. I can’t say the USP is my favorite, but if I needed a firearm that would work without question then it would be at the top of the list.
    Personally I prefer the VP9 ergonomics. If you remove the must be HK restriction, then a Walther PPQ is my choice. Why?
    I often am requested to bring a variety of pistols for friends to try out. Without exception, the pistol that everyone proves to be the most accurate with is the PPQ.
    I am not saying the others are more accurate, but the consensus is heavily weighted towards the PPQ.

desertshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2019
    Houston
    I own the USP 9 Tactical, and a variety of other HK firearms. I can’t say the USP is my favorite, but if I needed a firearm that would work without question then it would be at the top of the list.
    Personally I prefer the VP9 ergonomics. If you remove the must be HK restriction, then a Walther PPQ is my choice. Why?
    I often am requested to bring a variety of pistols for friends to try out. Without exception, the pistol that everyone proves to be the most accurate with is the PPQ.
    I am not saying the others are more accurate, but the consensus is heavily weighted towards the PPQ.

Do you feel the P99 is in any way better than the PPQ?

desertshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2019
    Houston
    I do not have any history with the P99. However I have a PPQ and Navy PPQ (with threaded barrel). I find it hard to find anything better for 2 to 3 times the price. Although I have a soft spot for the Sphinx SPD.

Thanks for your response. I do think the PPQ trigger is great. It is a world-class gun for sure.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Do you feel the P99 is in any way better than the PPQ?

I have owned several P99s over the years, and I have previously owned a PPQ. I MUCH prefer the P99. I like the DA/SA pull on the P99 - and, the SA pull on the P99 is just pure awesome.

My P99 is my most accurate handgun I own.

As for the original poster - I have owned 10 or 11 HKs over the years. I have owned a couple of USPcs and a couple of the larger USPs. I actually like the P2000 the best out of all HKs, however.

People know I go thru guns like water. This Feb will mark 5 years that my P2000 has been my carry gun. I got the version with 3 mags and night sights already installed... I also have a P2000sk, but I like the fullsize P2000 more...

The P2000 and USPc are very similar. They use the same mags, and the frame is very close between the 2 guns. But, for whatever reason, I shoot the P2000 much better.

The fullsize USP just has a grip that is too big for my hands. And, the only mag failure I have ever had on an HK was on a Hk USP 9mm. They use polymer mags, and they are NOT metal lined. All the other HK mags have metal bodies.

Un6MZcc.jpg

Attachments

• Un6MZcc.jpg
      Un6MZcc.jpg
      133.7 KB · Views: 570

desertshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2019
    Houston
    I have owned several P99s over the years, and I have previously owned a PPQ. I MUCH prefer the P99. I like the DA/SA pull on the P99 - and, the SA pull on the P99 is just pure awesome.

My P99 is my most accurate handgun I own.

As for the original poster - I have owned 10 or 11 HKs over the years. I have owned a couple of USPcs and a couple of the larger USPs. I actually like the P2000 the best out of all HKs, however.

People know I go thru guns like water. This Feb will mark 5 years that my P2000 has been my carry gun. I got the version with 3 mags and night sights already installed... I also have a P2000sk, but I like the fullsize P2000 more...

The P2000 and USPc are very similar. They use the same mags, and the frame is very close between the 2 guns. But, for whatever reason, I shoot the P2000 much better.

The fullsize USP just has a grip that is too big for my hands. And, the only mag failure I have ever had on an HK was on a Hk USP 9mm. They use polymer mags, and they are NOT metal lined. All the other HK mags have metal bodies.

View attachment 195845

Thanks for your input.

yellowg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Pflugerville, Texas
    I have a USP 9mm I’m trying to get rid of because I hate the ergonomics of it. It has a boxy grip to it, and I have a harder time getting a good grip on it.

My absolute favorite is my HK45. Ergos are awesome and I can consistently punch holes out of targets with it. I also have a VP9 and while that has great ergos, it doesn’t really compare to the HK45. VP9 ergos are still better than the USP imo.

I would highly suggest you try a bunch of HKs and other guns to see which one feels the best to you.

And yes, I am an HK fanboy. I would have a MR556 if it didn’t cost $3000 lol.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I carry a USPC in .40. I love the ergonomics. The weapon is soft shooting and accurate. I have large hands and it fits perfectly with the pinky mag extentins.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom