• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you had one of those all tricked out, it wouldn’t be any good as a farm buggy.

THATS TRUE! It would also cost a hell of a lot more, lol.

Next time I do want to try disconnecting the sway bar though. I need to try it on some stuff around the property to see how it acts and make sure it won’t get too much body roll.
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've been wanting to do a TGT meet there forever. Between the shooting range and 4x4 trails, plenty of yee yee for anyone. I'm in the same boat as you. Just an old 96 ram used to go down the river sometimes. Did more trails than I probably should have, but we survived. Glad you had fun.
    View attachment 325751 View attachment 325752 View attachment 325753

That’s awesome.

I mentioned to my wife several times that I could probably get my truck down some of the trails, but she’s nearly 30 now and we were 3 hours from home. Not a place I wanted to take the chance of breaking anything!

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    That’s awesome.

I mentioned to my wife several times that I could probably get my truck down some of the trails, but she’s nearly 30 now and we were 3 hours from home. Not a place I wanted to take the chance of breaking anything!
    We did the north pole along the back and drove down a creek bed splitting trees the whole way. I totally get the fear of breaking far from home. I figured loading and unloading torque would break axles and falling off ledges with the wheels turned was asking for tie rod damage, so I kept it slow and smart. Hit me up next time you go, I'm on the way in Temple. I bought a bad ass portable compressor and an inverter generator in case it's needed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    We did the north pole along the back and drove down a creek bed splitting trees the whole way. I totally get the fear of breaking far from home. I figured loading and unloading torque would break axles and falling off ledges with the wheels turned was asking for tie rod damage, so I kept it slow and smart. Hit me up next time you go, I'm on the way in Temple. I bought a bad ass portable compressor and an inverter generator in case it's needed.

We took the back way in through Gatesville and Lampasas. I’m on 35 every day for work and prefer the scenery going the back way. Though the hills probably burn a lot more gas.

I need to get the AC fixed in my truck or wait for cooler weather before we make another trip. It’s always leaked down over a weak or so and I just charge it before a long trip. But this time the wiring that goes to the low pressure switch got really hot when I jumped it to get it to pull down so the can would empty. No idea what’s going on with it, but it shouldn’t do that, lol.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I mentioned it and no one cared so it died

I’m jonesing to get off the beaten path, but with The Boy being so young, and another in the oven, it just isn’t in the cards for my foreseeable future.

I can’t wait until they’re old enough to do this stuff with me. I’m thinking once they’re potty trained, that’ll be the point where we can start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I need to get the AC fixed in my truck or wait for cooler weather before we make another trip. It’s always leaked down over a weak or so and I just charge it before a long trip. But this time the wiring that goes to the low pressure switch got really hot when I jumped it to get it to pull down so the can would empty. No idea what’s going on with it, but it shouldn’t do that, lol.
    From my experience, a slow leak commonly ends up being caused by stale o-rings. If you had a rock through the condenser, the leak would usually not be so slow. Time to replace the o-rings or at least do a dye leak check.
    Wiring got hot? If you have an old truck with the pressure switches driving the compressor clutch directly, could the clutch solenoid be burning up? I would check its resistance and amperage against the manufacturer spec.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    From my experience, a slow leak commonly ends up being caused by stale o-rings. If you had a rock through the condenser, the leak would usually not be so slow. Time to replace the o-rings or at least do a dye leak check.
    Wiring got hot? If you have an old truck with the pressure switches driving the compressor clutch directly, could the clutch solenoid be burning up? I would check its resistance and amperage against the manufacturer spec.

It’s the wiring for the low pressure switch. It leaks at the low side charge port. I changed the Schrader valve but it still slowly leaks so it much be scratched or something where the o ring seals.

But yeah, the plug at the low pressure switch gets HOT. Whether plugged in to the switch, or jumped for charging the system. I see what you mean about the clutch though. It’s a ‘94, I’ll have to look in to it, the wiring diagrams I have don’t even show the low pressure switch. I’ve got some all-data diagrams I downloaded a while back, but I don’t think I grabbed any for the A/C system. And my Chilton manual doesn’t show the switch. So far directly driving the compressors is the best reasoning I’ve hear so far, I’ll have to see if the high pressure switch shows the same signs of heating.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I think you nailed it, THANKS!

48f5a92ef231ff2c2a0e06d146f3b104.gif

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The clutch wasn’t engaging when the plug got hot, so it’s either a short along the way or the clutch is bad. Both easy to check.

I may be able to take the Danger Ranger on another adventure sooner than I thought!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Couldn’t stand it so I ran outside and popped the hood. Jumped the battery to the compressor for quick check and it worked fine. Started following the harness back and came across an odd looking bundle of electrical tape I’d never noticed before. Unwrapped it and discovered this
    636115924342c900a56d1b04b7d5f3f6.jpg

I had it in my head that the switches went to some kind of basic module that would activate the compressor on a different circuit. Never occurred to me the switched were just in series with it.

If only I had made this thread before we left, lol

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Couldn’t stand it so I ran outside and popped the hood. Jumped the battery to the compressor for quick check and it worked fine. Started following the harness back and came across an odd looking bundle of electrical tape I’d never noticed before. Unwrapped it and discovered this
    636115924342c900a56d1b04b7d5f3f6.jpg

I had it in my head that the switches went to some kind of basic module that would activate the compressor on a different circuit. Never occurred to me the switched were just in series with it.

If only I had made this thread before we left, lol
    The wires don’t look so good on the other side of that plug either.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The wires don’t look so good on the other side of that plug either.

Yep, one wire is bare, the other has good insulation. Going to cut them and splice it back.

Nice thing about old used trucks, you always find some ridiculous shit someone half assed before you got it. Don’t think the wire at the back side was the issue in this case though since only one is bare. It was wrapped up in the same tape though. Easy to fix either way.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    J/K
    I had a 1990 Suburban and still own a Z28. So yeah, I can make fun of myself too.
    "Hi, my name is BBL and I'm a Cheby owner" ... :D

I agree, fix the wires first and then check the resistance from the low-pressure switch down to the ground. On the dark green/white wire.
    Also check the resistance of the clutch coil itself right there at its connector.
    Compare both readings and compare them to manufacturer spec.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Yep, one wire is bare, the other has good insulation. Going to cut them and splice it back.
    Great find. Glad you had a reason to look and followed up on it. Others might blow it off and they will be wondering about the electrical fire under the hood a few miles later.

Nice thing about old used trucks, you always find some ridiculous shit someone half assed before you got it. Don’t think the wire at the back side was the issue in this case though since only one is bare.
    You don't want to hear what I pulled out of my Z28 when I got it. Especially the two electric fans in the front that were notorious for not cooling (usually not their fault, usually a bad relay or bad wire). IIRC, they had about a dozen splices on them (including orange wire nuts) and they STILL didn't work right. LOL
    That's the "joy" of any used car purchase. You will need to deal with somebody else's "creativity".

It was wrapped up in the same tape though. Easy to fix either way.
    Hey, when you have two bare wires, the best way to protect them is to wrap them in tape. Forget wrapping them individually, that's for chumps! Wrap 'em together and wrap 'em tight! :D

Let us know how it works out.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    It leaks at the low side charge port. I changed the Schrader valve but it still slowly leaks so it much be scratched or something where the o ring seals.
    I cannot remember now whether GM used replaceable valves on the 94 models or whether it was Ford in the 90s.
    If your valve is suspect, see if you can replace it. If not, it might be time for a new/used low-pressure A/C line.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    It's a fun place! Went out there with my parents and cousins a year or two back...we had my Dad's Jeep Rubicon Gladiator and my RZR XP4 Turbo. Endless amounts of fun!!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's a fun place! Went out there with my parents and cousins a year or two back...we had my Dad's Jeep Rubicon Gladiator and my RZR XP4 Turbo. Endless amounts of fun!!

Those RZRs cost as much as a car, it’s crazy. I looked at some low end “Trail” models. Maybe in a few years…not gonna trade my ranger for one because it wouldn’t be worth losing the utility.

I did order a winch for it. May get some grip boards for cheating over the rocks that are really a little too big for it to climb, and considering going to 27” tires over the stock 25s with forward offset A-arms so I don’t have to lift it. Or a 1” lift with some spacers to make it a little wider and more stable.

Just wish there were some fun parks closer to home. There’s a mud park not far away, but older me prefers the puzzle aspect of climbing vs my younger days of just going full send at a mud hole.

Top Bottom