Join TexasGunTalk

Here we go!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CodyK, May 10, 2020.

1. CodyK

CodyK Active Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Plan is to get an aftermarket barrel for all my Glocks (already have one for my 17’s) so I can shoot lead out of them. If I get enough .40 brass I’ll get one to shoot that caliber. I loaded up a batch of 44 last night with the H110, and went and shot a few today. Now THAT is fun!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxStetson likes this.
  2. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    I have a S&W629, 8" barrel. I know what you mean.

CodyK likes this.
  3. avvidclif

avvidclif Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I shoot swaged coated lead bullets from my Glocks. I think that warning is the lack of rifling in a Glock may not stabilize the bullet and hurt accuracy.

4. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    No expert here but Glocks have polygonal rifling and the supposed danger is an increase in lead fouling with possible increased pressure in the barrel. I don't know how true this is but I shoot fmj in my Glocks. don't know if the coated bullets are safer than lead.

5. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

That is the issue, and it does actually exist. Proper and very frequent cleaning will supposedly stop it from happening if you insist on shooting cast. Jacketed rounds or an aftermarket barrel are better solutions.

I cannot say with absolute certainty that coated bullets would work, but I cannot see any reason why they wouldn't. Lead fouling of the barrel is the issue, and the coating prevents that from ever happening. You can push coated bullets to pretty high velocities without leading becoming an issue. No common handgun round is ever going to approach these velocities.

I have a gun that absolutely refuses to shoot lead. A single mag leaves the barrel looking like a sewer pipe. Powdercoated bullets fixed that issue.

rotor likes this.
  6. CodyK

CodyK Active Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ve been loading Swamp Poppers in 9mm and .45, which are some sort of polymer coated lead. Supposedly the coating has a higher melting point than the lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor likes this.
  7. lbbf

lbbf Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    Not true. Glocks do have supported chambers. The first gen Glocks didn't have fully supported chambers and did have some trouble with the Glock kaboom but all others are fully supported. I've shot thousands of rounds from my glock, reloaded them and shot again.

8. sergeant69

sergeant69 Active Member

Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    true. the issue has been addressed and resolved years ago. every mfg says don't shoot reloads. its a legal disclaimer lawyer driven thing.

9. lbbf

lbbf Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    CaseSupport2-1.jpg
    Not sure what you are trying to say here. Early glocks did have less chamber support than newer glocks. Glock never did admit a problem but they did increase the chamber support. No semi auto pistol that I know of completely supports the brass. The feed ramps prevent that from happening. Here is a picture showing the change in support. I got the picture from http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/an-...-or-lack-thereof-in-glock-40-caliber-pistols/

10. sergeant69

sergeant69 Active Member

Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i'm agreeing with you about the chamber support being resolved in glocks years ago, as illustrated by the pic you just posted.
    as far as the reloading issue with glocks, theres no issue! they shoot reloads fine. but...try sending any pistol back that is malfunctioning and tell em you are shooting reloads in it and see what they say. or rifle. buddy just has a S&W 500 lock up on him so he called the factory and the first they said was are you shooting reloads in it. he of course said no and they said good/ok sent him a shipping label.