• ...and so much more!
  • S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    So I bought this.

And I want to make it as close to this as possible, without spending a ton of money

I have a hammer on the way. Other than that I've looked for those Rock Island stocks with the escutcheon. They aren't available. I think just the plain checkered wood is going to have to be used. Not sure if those sights are available. The rear sight is close, but not the same.

It seems no one has tried to to do a faux M15. There is no info out there on parts with the exception of a couple of disassembly vids. Ian's being the best.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions?
    Guns International

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    I worked on a few M15 General Officer's Models back in the day. As I recall, the only parts that weren't standard GI parts were the slide, barrel, and the recoil spring guide assembly. They used a long, aluminum match trigger, obviously. I believe that if you can locate a fixed 'National Match' rear sight, that will be the correct rear sight. I suspect that a machine shop at Rock Island Arsenal probably fabricated the front sights. The recoil spring guide incorporated a spring-loaded buffer, and used a plug with a hole in it to fit over the guide. I can't recall any details about it other than that. The parts all had a high polish to them before they were blued, and the grips probably began life as Herrett's checkered walnut grips before they were modified and had the inlays installed. The left hand grip has an oblong brass plate for having the name or other info engraved.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I worked on a few M15 General Officer's Models back in the day. As I recall, the only parts that weren't standard GI parts were the slide, barrel, and the recoil spring guide assembly. They used a long, aluminum match trigger, obviously. I believe that if you can locate a fixed 'National Match' rear sight, that will be the correct rear sight. I suspect that a machine shop at Rock Island Arsenal probably fabricated the front sights. The recoil spring guide incorporated a spring-loaded buffer, and used a plug with a hole in it to fit over the guide. I can't recall any details about it other than that. The parts all had a high polish to them before they were blued, and the grips probably began life as Herrett's checkered walnut grips before they were modified and had the inlays installed. The left hand grip has an oblong brass plate for having the name or other info engraved.

thank you for the info!

I knew it was never going to be exact. I just want to get it as close as possible without a ton of expense.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    It seems no one has tried to to do a faux M15. There is no info out there on parts with the exception of a couple of disassembly vids. Ian's being the best.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions?
    However much money you spend the change the pistol, should you decide to sell it in the future, it will still be a Tisas.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    LOL, resale value isn't even on my "care about" list. :-)

Anyway, I very rarely sell guns. Basically only if I get an duplicate that is in better condition or fits my collection better.

i.e. I just bought a Ruger Mk II Government. I will sell my Ruger Mk II normie now.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma

Question. Did you ever shoot them? What did you think?

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    I never had the opportunity to shoot one. One general, who was an old Bullseye shooter wanted a trigger job on his gun. He told his buddies, and a few more were sent over for trigger jobs. This was 40+ years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy on details.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I never had the opportunity to shoot one. One general, who was an old Bullseye shooter wanted a trigger job on his gun. He told his buddies, and a few more were sent over for trigger jobs. This was 40+ years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy on details.

Cool, I really appreciate the info. There just isn't much out there about these guns.

When one comes up, they auction for around $8000.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Cool, I really appreciate the info. There just isn't much out there about these guns.

When one comes up, they auction for around $8000.

Glad to help; wish I had a better memory about those parts. The grips were either made or modified by the government, I do know that.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    Here are some resources that you might not be aware of:

Nicolaus Associates M15 Pistol Blueprints

The Sight M15 GO Pistol

Modeling of M15 Pistol NOTE: There is one glaring error in this, as it shows the barrel with two locking lugs; the M15 barrel only has one locking lug.

Colt Autos M15 US GOP

One of these sites mentioned that the first 300 pistols used the fixed NM rear sight. After that, they used a commercial cast rear sight. I used to have one of those fixed NM rear sights; if you need one, I'll see if I still have it. Also, if you run an image search on Google for the M15 General Officer's Model, you'll get some good pix of close up details.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Here are some resources that you might not be aware of:

Nicolaus Associates M15 Pistol Blueprints

The Sight M15 GO Pistol

Modeling of M15 Pistol NOTE: There is one glaring error in this, as it shows the barrel with two locking lugs; the M15 barrel only has one locking lug.

Colt Autos M15 US GOP

One of these sites mentioned that the first 300 pistols used the fixed NM rear sight. After that, they used a commercial cast rear sight. I used to have one of those fixed NM rear sights; if you need one, I'll see if I still have it. Also, if you run an image search on Google for the M15 General Officer's Model, you'll get some good pix of close up details.

Thanks for all those. The only one I had seen was the last one.

Awesome finds.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Probably cheaper to buy what you want and sell the Tisas.

You sure about that?

Screenshot 2023-07-16 183131.jpg

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I don't know why you'd change the short hammer for the full size. Usually people go the other way. The only time I ran into a problem with non-standard parts was with a Taurus 1911. Their extractor was an odd length and you had to buy it from Taurus.

I love 1911s, but I don't love the original grip safety. They shouldn't bother to manufacture them anymore without a beavertail. Those pinned-in sights are another issue. They eventually shear off.

Avoid 99% of the 1911 "improvements" that you run across. Most of them don't work as advertised. Make sure the fit is tight and smooth.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I don't know why you'd change the short hammer for the full size. Usually people go the other way. The only time I ran into a problem with non-standard parts was with a Taurus 1911. Their extractor was an odd length and you had to buy it from Taurus.

I love 1911s, but I don't love the original grip safety. They shouldn't bother to manufacture them anymore without a beavertail. Those pinned-in sights are another issue. They eventually shear off.

Avoid 99% of the 1911 "improvements" that you run across. Most of them don't work as advertised. Make sure the fit is tight and smooth.

My goal is to make it as close to an M15 GO pistol as possible.

Top Bottom