• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which MP5 Variant clone should I go with?

• MP5SD

Votes: 9 31.0%
    • MP5K PDW

Votes: 11 37.9%
    • MP5A2/A3

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm having a tough time. In all seriousness, eventually I will probably end up with all 3 configurations:

800px-MP5SD3.jpg

MP5K-PDW.jpg

H%26KMP5-N.jpg

Whichever I decide, either way they will be SBR's and I will end up getting a can. The way I look at it, if I go the MP5SD route, I kill 2 birds with one stone. Also, don't laugh but, probably the sole reason I want the SD so bad is after seeing them in that crappy old action movie "Navy Seals" with Charlie Sheen when I was a kid. For some reason, ever since then it's been a void that needs to be filled. LOL ;)
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    #3, but put the collapsing stock on it.

BTW, how much does an MP5 cost these days? I need to start saving my pennies for one.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Out of all of them, the MP5k is the most fun to shoot. It's small and fast, I really dig it.

The SD is the most "usefull" though. I can shoot it in the backyard...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I almost forgot, whichever one I go with, there is no hope for a sear in my future as I cannot see dumping $15k for just a sear, at least not for several years, so it's going to be semi auto only. That being the case, that kind of negates some of the cool factor of the PDW IMO, though they are still an awesome configuration.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I love the PDW but I'd have to go with a SD ... after this weekend and the miles I put on my hearing, I can't wait until my can gets here.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    My vote is for the PDW... and get a suppressor. That way you get the most compact package with the option of going quiet with around the same length as the SD...best of both worlds.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you look around, semi auto Mp5 clones can be found in 9mm, .40sw, and 10mm typically from ~$1-1.5k. (the 10mm versions are a little more expensive as they are less common) Some of the nicer ones out there are going to run closer to $2-2.5k+. There are a handful of companies out there, some of which are a mix of some of the other companies components as several of the clone companies have changed names, changed hands, etc. There's Cohaire Arms, Bobcat Weapons, Special Weapons, Vector Arms, and I think one or two others in the $1-1.5k range. Some of the more expensive higher quality ones are Turner Fabrication, Investment Grade Firearms, and a handful of others. On the $1-1.5k clones, quality can be a little hit or miss, and several of the ones out there you'll find are no longer in production. Most of them are compatible with the original H&K components, so replacing things like bolts/bolt carriers, rollers, extractors, etc is usually not too hard (just expensive). The reason the clones get a bad wrap is because occasionally some of them will have out of spec components, and if you have to replace enough of them, you end up hitting ~$1.5-2k fairly easily (bolt/bolt carrier, etc).

The original HK94's or SP89's are not an option for anyone looking for something similar to what I am (fun, somewhat inexpensive NFA gun) as both of those usually start around ~$3.5-4k+ and they are few and far between. If you split the difference, for ~$2-2.5k, some of the higher end companies I mentioned will build you one in one of the typical configurations (certain uncommon configs can be more expensive) using H&K components and actual H&K parts kits, so you end up with a gun about the same high quality as the real deal, and with 90+% of the exact same components.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Saw a 9mm MP5 clone with the long barrel at collectors yesterday 1699.99. But take 250 off of that since collectors hikes there prices quite a bit.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I had #3 built from a de-mil and a receiver flat on my second go around with an MP5. The first time I bought a Coharie arms SW5 and was not impressed at all. The bolt head was a piece of junk and the extractor was like a loose tooth. You'll spend the same amount getting a clone to work right as you will having an HK expert building one. I gave 1200 for the de-mil kit, 200 for a flat 400 for a HK new barrel, and about 600 on misc. parts. But its just about as close as you can get to a new model MP5. You could get a clone and replace the bolt with HK stuff but your still looking at 2400-2800. hkparts dot net, is where I get my parts from when he has them. Save yourself the heartache and get a good one the first time...

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Don't even consider the SD unless you have money to burn. You will have to pay two tax stamps even though it is all one package. Also, the SD suppressor can't be used on anything else.
    Get a PDW and a seperate suppressor like the Ti_rant, Evo 9, Multi-mount or Trident. That way you can shoot the suppressor on other guns as well.

Top Bottom