• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I've been selling some reloading equipment for an elderly friend who is loosing his eye sight. I have his RCBS Rockchuckker II press, 505 scale & a Uniflow Powder Measurer & stand I was thinking of keeping for myself but would sell for $250.00. I recently sold a bunch of dies & they like this lot were basicall new & never used. subseashooter Bought the dies & is slated to buy some bullets when we can get together. Hell he might just want this stuff too!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The Lee kit that you specified includes a beam type powder scale. May I share some tips that I've borrowed/stolen over the years?

Beam type scale:
    Don't try to weigh each charge on the scale like they do at the doctor's office. That will wear you out!

Balance/Zero the beam by adjusting the pedestal foot on the forward end. Set your desired weight on the scale and lock it. When you weigh your test charges, the pointer will indicate only minus, perfect, overweight. For example, if you need a 40 grain charge, set the scale to 40.0 grains. Each tested charge will indicate minus, plus or perfect on the pointer. That's all you need. If the charge is wrong, all you need to know is if it's +- or right on. Adjust your measure so it drops perfect charges. Be very careful about air movement from fans or A/C around the scale.

Electronic Scales:
    On electronic scales, take ONE case, place it on the scale and set "zero" or "tare". Weigh each test charge in that same case and it will give you the powder charge weight, only. Don't trust the "tare" setting for too many tests. I use it for 2-3 test weights then reset the "tare", again. Tare settings get unreliable after too many charge weights.

Like the beam scales, don't expose the electronic scale to draft from fans or A/C. Keep those new curly light bulbs away from the scale. My latest scale is from Dillon and they have added shielding to prevent interference from those bulbs. The transformers in the bulbs make my other electronic scales unreliable.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My beam scale will weight to an extreme degree of accuracy. Drop just below weight and trickle up until it's exact.

1/10gr difference with be obvious on a Beam. All my precision rounds are loaded on a beam. I use an electronic scale to get the charge close, but IMO you will never beat the ability to get the consistency of a beam using an electronic scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Sure, using a trickler is a great way to arrive at a perfect charge weight! My point was directed at using the beam type scale on an unknown powder charge weight. At the doctor's office, they put you on the scale, then adjust the balance weights until they arrive at your body weight.

On a beam scale, if you use the scale like the doctor does to find an unknown weight, it will wear you out and frustrate you. It's easier to set the desired weight on the beam and adjust your charge until it zeros. You can use a powder measure, trickler or even a Lee dipper and then modify the charge until it is correct.

I own a couple of tricklers but they have cobwebs in them. I'm not patient enough to use them.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sure, using a trickler is a great way to arrive at a perfect charge weight! My point was directed at using the beam type scale on an unknown powder charge weight. At the doctor's office, they put you on the scale, then adjust the balance weights until they arrive at your body weight.

On a beam scale, if you use the scale like the doctor does to find an unknown weight, it will wear you out and frustrate you. It's easier to set the desired weight on the beam and adjust your charge until it zeros. You can use a powder measure, trickler or even a Lee dipper and then modify the charge until it is correct.

I own a couple of tricklers but they have cobwebs in them. I'm not patient enough to use them.

Flash

OK, i misunderstood. I completely agree with you on this. In fact, I won't touch the weights after mine is set to avoid the possibility of throwing off the calibration (bumping it) or not setting it back just how it started. Maybe a little OCD but makes me feel better.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    So my lymans book I ordered is lost in the mail it said it was delivered on the tracking but it is no where to be found not even at the apartment office or the post office

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Did you use the cheapest shipping option, the one that combines UPS with USPS?

I did that and figured out the the UPS/fedex tracking number will show delivered when it is handed over to USPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Yea that stupid thing fedex to usps. I hate that system I am going to from now on just use higher priced shipping so I don't have issues. Our mailman here is a real jerk I have cought him throwing packages out on to the ground before putting it in the apt mailboxes.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Yeah, I HATE those electronic scales. They "time out" and shut off, typically right when you're in the middle of measuring a charge. And I've noticed they tend to drift a bit. I do need to pick up a decent beam scale. The only advantage of the electronic scales is that they're small. Other than that, I don't like them for measuring charges. Especially if you're trying to meter out a series of rifle charges.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you have no equipment watch Craigslist and other sales sites. People often sell off all their equipment for pretty good deals if you can catch them at the right time.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I recommend multiple manuals for referencing/cross referencing charges but for any type of hunting loads, look no further than the Nosler online data. It is one of the few that reflect load density with respect to powder charge. Something you will care about down the road. Definitely not a rookie item but a must for the precision reloader is a bullet comparator and seating depth gauge.

When we start out I think we are all happy to hear our first couple go bang and spit out a bullet, but eventually you will want precision instruments(nice dial caliper, quality seating dies, a comparator,etc.) to find the true potential of a firearm.

That being said, I started off with a Lee hand press and have moved on to the Lee turret press. I own dies from just about everybody but dillon but the Lee presses themselves have been up to the task for 10 different calibers that I currently do reload.

Remember to budget for components, they add up quickly.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I bought a barreled .300 Whisper upper from SSK Industries along with dies, as he had them so why not. The dies are Hornady. All my reloading equipment is RCBS. I hate those Hornady Dies. Cant say anything about their reloading equipment. I like Hornady bullet.

Top Bottom