• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    I'm with TX1911. If you were to just cut it flat with the frame or maybe cut it a little longer than flush and round it off even if you still needed to lock it back I think you could jam enough thumb in there to get it up and in the notch to lock it back, or just rip that baby out. Although I'm found of the Lock-rip-rack method, yes it is added movement but I have found there is a higher success rate (could just be me) of getting the mag out of a cluster f**k rather than grabbing the floor plate and ripping it out. Either way I think the idea behind your modification is sound.
    Guns International

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I'm struggling with the same problem... by struggling, I mean it happens about once per match. Dave Sevigny cuts a stock lever down to about half size to reduce thumb interference on his G35. In my line of work, that's what we call a "clue".

I think I'm going to try to push my thumb off the frame a little more. Honestly, my thumbs aren't doing anything with my grip so that should be the easiest fix for me. I'm currently using the OEM extended slide release, and I thought about cutting it down. However, I feel like I'm faster on reloads where I jam the mag and use the extended slide release to chamber the round. This way, I'm getting my left hand back on the gun as the right thumb is releasing the slide. Otherwise, if I use the "hand over the slide" move, then my left hand is pulling the slide back towards my body when it could be getting on the grip.

Ultimately, I'm torn because I don't see myself doing a lot of slide-lock reloads in IDPA.

Side question -- Would it matter to you that doing this modification may move you to IDPA ESP Division? No external modifications are allowed in SSP (except sights and grips).

Let us know what you come up with!
    -Randy

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I go back to my first suggestion. Find a platform that fits your shooting style better. Look, for example, how this S&W is modified to keep your hand from engaging the slide lock from the factory.

Smith%20&%20Wesson%20M&%20P%20Pistol_2_Large.jpg

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Personally, I don't care what class my gun puts me into. For myself at least, I am a firm believer in "training like you fight" and I run what I use as a defensive gun. In the future I will have a separate defense gun that gets used solely for that role, and a separate training gun but both will be setup the same. For me the matches are all about learning what works and what doesn't, refining my gear and weapon setup, and making me a better shooter.

Here's a thought I just had. Don't know if I can make this work as I haven't tried it yet. What about basically bending upward the extended portion of the slide release lever so that it is flipped practically 180 degrees. So the lever would actually be pointing upward and would now sit above the slide. I find that with my grip, the top of my palm is nearly at the top of the frame, or maybe 3-5mm lower, so the slide release would be above this point but still present so it could be used. Maybe this is dumb, and maybe this idea won't work in reality, but what the heck I'm willing to risk buying a new slide release to try it out. ;) I'll post pics and see whether it works, or whether we'll get a laugh at my expense. ;) lol

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If your grip causes your weapon to malfunction, it is your grip that needs fixing not the weapon.

An alternate solution is to find a weapon that puts the controls in different locations so as not to cause this problem.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Convert slide release to left hand operation? Actually I have no idea how you'd do that, but you did say you wanted to do modifications

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So, what did I learn. Well I learned that Glock slide releases cannot be bent (at least not without heat). lol

tn_DSC01983.JPG

Step 2, buy new slide release (or 5 just in case at the rate I'm going!).

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's some pics to demonstrate my grip (sorry the quality sucks):

tn_100_1853.jpg tn_100_1848.jpg

Granted, that's the factory extended lever, though I've had the same problem with the stock one too. Worst case, I can always revert to a stock lever, cut off to maintain slide lock with nothing protruding, and just using the power stroke method.

At some point I plan on buying an M&P, as I like those too. However, I can still see this being sort of an issue on those, as it's really just a symptom of such an aggressive and high grip. Personally, I want better performance and to modify my gear to work more efficiently. Regardless, I'm going to make Glocks work for me as they are too good of a gun and too common of a platform to just throw them out the window. Up to this point, I never even had an issue with my Glock before, but I also didn't have as good of recoil control or as much consistency under rapid fire strings since my support hand grip was backed off a bit and not as aggressive.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I was watching American Guardian and they made a good point that this popular thumbs forward grip is not a grip that can be applied universally to all handguns. A case in point is a revolver. You shoot a snubby revolver with a grip like that or even a medium sized revolver and you can kiss the tip of your thumb bye bye since it will be right at the gas port by the cylinder.

Just food for thought..

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I was going to say that you will probably break the lever, but too late. From the latest picture, you could cut it way short and still be able to access it, but short enough to not engage it.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'd suggest replacing the extended slide stop with a plain factory one.

In your grip, do you have more pressure at the top of the pistol than by the magwell? I have seen people trying to get the support side elbow high/rotated open up their grip at the bottom. Some people even get the first digit of their support side thumb on the slide

Chickenwing

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Central Texas
    Now that you have a broken slide lock, have you tried filing down the rough broken edge and using that one to see if your grip still interferes with the lock? If not, are you able to push in hard enough with your thumb to lock it back with what little is still protruding? Or perhaps like CodyG said, a hand transplant, or if you don't want to opt for the full transplant, perhaps you can cut out the exact spot that is messing with the slidelock. Just hollow out a spot in your palm!

Top Bottom