• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    My friend and former Father-in-law found this ring in the San Antonio River, near Mission Concepción, when he was about 8 years old. That was about 1949.

He and a friend were playing in the river and he felt the ring with his toe and reached down to retrieve it. It's still in the family and is the source of intrigue as various explanations of what it "might be" have been offered. Regardless of the ring's provenance, it is valuable to my friend, Tony, as he has had it and valued it for most of his life.
    The side not pictured in the photo appears to be missing some type of ornamentation. Sorry, I did but get a photo of that side of the ring.

Any ideas? Something from the Mexican army from the days of the Alamo? A Spanish soldier's ring from the early days of the missions? A cheap trinket from the early 1900's?

Thanks for any help. I visited my friend recently and he is in poor health and getting old. He showed me the ring again and I told him I would see what I could find with y'all's help.
    Target Sports

Attachments

• IMG_20220622_104617~2.jpg
      IMG_20220622_104617~2.jpg
      120 KB · Views: 73
    • IMG_20220622_104627~3.jpg
      IMG_20220622_104627~3.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 73
    • IMG_20220622_104639~2.jpg
      IMG_20220622_104639~2.jpg
      116.1 KB · Views: 69

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    My friend and former Father-in-law found this ring in the San Antonio River, near Mission Concepción, when he was about 8 years old. That was about 1949.

He and a friend were playing in the river and he felt the ring with his toe and reached down to retrieve it. It's still in the family and is the source of intrigue as various explanations of what it "might be" have been offered. Regardless of the ring's provenance, it is valuable to my friend, Tony, as he has had it and valued it for most of his life.
    The side not pictured in the photo appears to be missing some type of ornamentation. Sorry, I did but get a photo of that side of the ring.

Any ideas? Something from the Mexican army from the days of the Alamo? A Spanish soldier's ring from the early days of the missions? A cheap trinket from the early 1900's?

Thanks for any help. I visited my friend recently and he is in poor health and getting old. He showed me the ring again and I told him I would see what I could find with y'all's help.
    You might even be looking older than 1900's. The Spanish invaded in the 1700's I believe and if it is a family crest I could see it being more of something from Spain.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    You're best bet is to take it to a jeweler; one that you trust if you can find one.
    I suggested that. At Tony's advanced age, he is reluctant to let the ring out of his sight. He has difficulty communicating (multiple strokes) and wears the ring daily.

When he heard I was coming, he summoned one of his daughters (a cosmetologist) to give him a shave and a haircut. When I arrived, he was in his power chair wearing a Stetson and a bolo tie. He cried when he tried to explain his condition, need for the chair, and inability to speak clearly. His mind is sound but he is trapped in a body that does not cooperate. It was a bittersweet visit.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    I suggested that. At Tony's advanced age, he is reluctant to let the ring out of his sight. He has difficulty communicating (multiple strokes) and wears the ring daily.

When he heard I was coming, he summoned one of his daughters (a cosmetologist) to give him a shave and a haircut. When I arrived, he was in his power chair wearing a Stetson and a bolo tie. He cried when he tried to explain his condition, need for the chair, and inability to speak clearly. His mind is sound but he is trapped in a body that does not cooperate. It was a bittersweet visit.
    I can understand that; that's a really neat artifact to find and he doesn't want to lose it. I know it has to be hard for him, I watch that with my dad all the time. Although, he's starting to go mentally...

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Didn't have time to look at all of them but many of these have the same heraldic elements of that ring. Shield, crossed arrows, lion like creature, armored headpiece, etc:

Might be a good place to start.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Silver dulls over time like that. It's hard to tell from just a picture. As to the markings I'm not sure. Old is already known, how much older? Couldn't guess unless I came across those markings somewhere.

Have an almost 200 year old, English silver "stirrup cup" that has a similar patina, but the ring doesn't look as heavy as most solid silver items?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom