DK Firearms

Hello from Houston never owned a gun and thinking of buying my first... just have one question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Portablepewpew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2021
    Houston
    This morning I was reading the news and stumbled on this article:

And considering the pandemic (could get crazy riots perhaps) I was thinking of purchasing my first gun but, If I may ask this question here in the intro section) back in high school I did an evading arrest (about 20 years ago) which was considered a felony. I've never gotten in to any trouble ever since... I am actually a very nice reserved guy. To give a little details regarding the run, it was because I had gotten in to a fight with my girlfriend that day. While goind home the officer pulled me over because I ran a stop sing which I know I did not... so like and idiot (I was already fuming) I ran... that's all.

I will appreciate any info thanks.
    Target Sports

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

And considering the pandemic (could get crazy riots perhaps) I was thinking of purchasing my first gun but, If I may ask this question here in the intro section) back in high school I did an evading arrest (about 20 years ago) which was considered a felony. I've never gotten in to any trouble ever since... I am actually a very nice reserved guy. To give a little details regarding the run, it was because I had gotten in to a fight with my girlfriend that day. While goind home the officer pulled me over because I ran a stop sing which I know I did not... so like and idiot (I was already fuming) I ran... that's all.

So you were arrested, What were you convicted of, and what was the maximum penalty you could have received?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So you were arrested, What were you convicted of, and what was the maximum penalty you could have received?

Totally irrelevant Renegade. Unless the new member happens to be your client, you legal advice and law degree, really aren't meaningful in this discussion. Pretty much means as much as what any other member's opinion matters.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Totally irrelevant Renegade. Unless the new member happens to be your client, you legal advice and law degree, really aren't meaningful in this discussion. Pretty much means as much as what any other member's opinion matters.

Yeah I am not giving legal advice, nor am I offering my opinion, I am asking simple questions.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf

Take a class BEFORE you buy one.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Howdy & welocme to TGT.

Pay a gun lawyer a couple hundred & get the correct advise. It'd be worth it. Or just go to Academy & try to by a cheap pistol & have them do a 4473....FBI check. If it comes out clean, you're good. If not, then you saved the $ to pay the lawyer.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Howdy & welocme to TGT.

Pay a gun lawyer a couple hundred & get the correct advise. It'd be worth it. Or just go to Academy & try to by a cheap pistol & have them do a 4473....FBI check. If it comes out clean, you're good. If not, then you saved the $ to pay the lawyer.

The 4473 specifically asks if you have ever had a felony. If he answers yes, then it's an automatic failed background check. If he answers no but has a felony on his record, then he just committed a second felony.

It's best to find out what exactly he was convicted of (felony or misdemeanor), talk to a lawyer, and get his record expunged if needed before he tries to buy a gun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Portable pew pew,

Go join TEXAS LAW SHIELD for about 10 bucks & ask one of their lawyers your question.

yours, satx

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I guess it depends
    The 4473 specifically asks if you have ever had a felony. If he answers yes, then it's an automatic failed background check. If he answers no but has a felony on his record, then he just committed a second felony.

It's best to find out what exactly he was convicted of (felony or misdemeanor), talk to a lawyer, and get his record expunged if needed before he tries to buy a gun.

If he answers NO & passes .... then he don't have the felony on his record & is good to go. If he answers NO & comes back felony, then they don't sell him a gun. It's not like Academy is going to detain him & wait for the cops to show up.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I guess it depends

If he answers NO & passes .... then he don't have the felony on his record & is good to go. If he answers NO & comes back felony, then they don't sell him a gun. It's not like Academy is going to detain him & wait for the cops to show up.

That's easy for you to say. You're not the one that would be risking a five year stint doing this, and Academy doesn't have to do anything. They have his info, as does the FBI when they call NICS.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I guess it depends

That presumes that the felony actually made to the NICS database. There are a lot of convictions that occurred where the court didn't notify other authorities.

Top Bottom