• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    so when it comes to self defense ammo, what do you prefer? heavier? lighter? +P??? +P+ ??

i carry winchester ranger 115gr JHP +P+. i like the lighter weight since it screams through the air rather quickly. i think its somehwere around 1335fps or around that. i've heard argument of heavier 147gr for a better knock down power or some shit. never really understood it though. i mean i understand the concept but i never understood sacrificing speed for "power"
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Anything between 9mm and 10mm works about the same provided you have good shot placement. Below that, you start to get into issues with shallow penetration if you don't get perfect hits.

People can argue all day and night about calibers and performance, but really it just comes down to shot placement. You could shoot someone with a 12# cannon firing depleted uranium solid shot and if it hits them in the hand they are still going to be able to kill you.

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    so.. what do you prefer and why. lol

I carry a .357 magnum loaded with Remington 125 grain SJHP Magnum ammo. The cartridge and ammo choice have been proven to work by no small number of police agencies over the last....50 years or so.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Well placed shots.......... j/k I use Cor-Bon 185gr +P JHP in the sig and Cor-Bon 115gr +P JHP in the XD9 because they had the best performance in my guns IMO. Fast, accurate, and look like they would be damn painful. Pretty sure I'd think that if I was shot by a .22lr though.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    so.. what do you prefer and why. lol

Federal Air Marshals and the Secret Service are two organizations that rely on immediate take downs, and have large budgets regarding firearm choice. They chose the .357 Sig cartridge, and I just so happen to like it as well.

Good enough for the President, good enough for me.

When you look at it the only downside is cost, and frankly are you going to trust your life to a lesser 9mm over $10?

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    i been wanting to try some cor-bons but they are quite pricy.

Are they? I didn't notice. I was merely buying every different type I could find in the gun shop to try out. I'll admit the outing was expensive but I never compared the individual costs line by line.

Texas1911 said " When you look at it the only downside is cost, and frankly are you going to trust your life to a lesser 9mm over $10?"

Those were my sentiments when searching for my SD ammo. The fact that both pistols liked the Cor-Bons was coincidence, I shot many different ones including the different weights within the brands. My play ammo on the other hand, if it'll feed it I'm gonna shoot it!

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Federal Air Marshals and the Secret Service are two organizations that rely on immediate take downs, and have large budgets regarding firearm choice. They chose the .357 Sig cartridge, and I just so happen to like it as well.

Good enough for the President, good enough for me.

When you look at it the only downside is cost, and frankly are you going to trust your life to a lesser 9mm over $10?

I do, but I shoot tons so that $10 a box adds up quite quickly. Heck, I carry a .32 ACP with me because the 9mm is too big, the .45 is too heavy, and the .22 is a .22.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Hits are what counts. Can you draw and engage the target with well placed shots? Are you practicing with those premium hollowpoints regularly to know they work in your chosen defense weapon or hoping they will cycle as well as the inexpensive practice ammo?​

sti45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    .45 230gr jhp avg around 800 fps on the low end. I do not know of any anamial that can move fifty feet in 1/16 th of a second

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hits are what counts. Can you draw and engage the target with well placed shots? Are you practicing with those premium hollowpoints regularly to know they work in your chosen defense weapon or hoping they will cycle as well as the inexpensive practice ammo?​

Truth.

machinisttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008

I don't have to worry about cycling, I carry a revolver. :D

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    Shot placement is number one, then bigger is better.

Self defense ammo usually consists of JHP with low-flash power. Hornady offers coated cases for slicker feeding.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    My preference after spending time running more than a few rounds through different guns is Hornady TAP in 230gr for 45 and 147 for 9mm.

I go heavy as a good number of my guns are suppressed and the higher weight keeps the rounds subsonic.

Top Bottom