Lynx Defense

Hearing Protection: Just the basic 101 info for new shooters...and maybe a few tips for others as well

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The Humble Marksman YouTube Channel explains basic hearing protection needed by all shooters. And use the protection when in loud environments (mowing lawn, leaf blower, engine work, chain saw, etc)

This video is just a starting point for the shooter to find the hearing protection that works best for him/her where they shoot. To find more info just search on YouTube for 'hearing protection' and you will find many other similar videos.

Video shows indoor and outdoor ranges with different hearing protection options and reviews several products. I would agree with the presenter about wearing ear plugs with ear muffs when shooting indoors and outdoors with magnum loads and/or other large caliber firearms.

p.s. this video made me reconsider my current hearing protection gear and an idea for combo Christmas/birthday present to self.
    Lynx Defense

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    plugs and muffs now, but: "Others" were careless of my hearing when I was little. Stood close to the stage as a teen at concerts. Got blown up a couple times didn't help. C'est la guerre...

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    The Humble Marksman YouTube Channel explains basic hearing protection needed by all shooters. And use the protection when in loud environments (mowing lawn, leaf blower, engine work, chain saw, etc)

This video is just a starting point for the shooter to find the hearing protection that works best for him/her where they shoot. To find more info just search on YouTube for 'hearing protection' and you will find many other similar videos.

Video shows indoor and outdoor ranges with different hearing protection options and reviews several products. I would agree with the presenter about wearing ear plugs with ear muffs when shooting indoors and outdoors with magnum loads and/or other large caliber firearms.

p.s. this video made me reconsider my current hearing protection gear and an idea for combo Christmas/birthday present to self.

If it's loud enough just one shot will damage your hearing forever from the AmmoLand blog.

Can one shot from a gun cause irreparable harm to your hearing? Recently, on Tom Gresham’s Gun Talk Radio, Brent called in during hour three to explain how he damaged his hearing in one shot. This is an all-to-often occurrence that many shooters encounter, and it points out the critical need for all shooters to protect their hearing.

Brent dialed in to voice his concern about shooting firearms without hearing protection. A single shot from a 454 Casull was his hearing’s undoing. Now, Brent is left with a lifetime of buzzing in his ears.

I found with muzzle brake devices, shooting .38 Super caliber and anything at indoor range even with hearing protection the noise level requires double protection; ear plugs and muffs for me. And the sound shock wave can affect one if you are too close.

Video short of someone shooting a .454 Casull round.

Last edited:

caddy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2023
    Houston
    I'm a big fan of the Walker Razors....especially the ones with Bluetooth. Nothing cares for your hearing like listening to Christmas jazz while running pistol drills....
    I purchased some Walker Razors during Amazon prime day. I haven't tried them out yet. I usually used earplugs since I had plenty from working around refineries. Heard good things about the Razors, do you guys have them on during hunting? I usually don't use ear protection while hunting because I want to hear everything around me and when I shoot its just one shot.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I purchased some Walker Razors during Amazon prime day. I haven't tried them out yet. I usually used earplugs since I had plenty from working around refineries. Heard good things about the Razors, do you guys have them on during hunting? I usually don't use ear protection while hunting because I want to hear everything around me and when I shoot its just one shot.

I don't hunt, but I have used the Razors while doing yardwork. It dulls the sound of loud equipment (i.e. weedeaters) but lets you hear conversations and other sounds. And it's comfortable to wear for long periods.

Terralk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2023
    Canyon, Texas
    I have a set of Walker's that gets used regularly, usually on top of the plugs I always wear at the range. I have worn earplugs for decades, even in my youth at concerts. The loud rock music I liked then (and still do now) gave me headaches when watched at live venues so I wore plugs. Played in a garage band for a few years and did the same then.

I get hearing tests done annually as a part of my work, and in my late 50's still have excellent hearing, and I still enjoy music in the same amount and volume as I always have.

What started as avoiding sound induced headaches, has paid off with minimal hearing loss after decades of industrial workplaces. It was pure luck on my part that I started so early and have had such good luck with it, and have even presentations during safety meetings about it, in hopes of reaching some of the younger ears in the audience.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Watch more from the Doctor Cliff, AuD channel;

Doctor Cliff Olson, Audiologist and founder of Applied Hearing Solutions in Phoenix Arizona, discusses the top 3 types of hearing protection including Foam Earplugs, Ear Muffs, & Filtered Hearing Protection, and how to properly use them to protect your hearing.

His sponsor has an interesting filtered hearing protection where one can insert different filters depending on the hearing protection needed. For example he provides an audio comparison with a music concert using different filters. After trying out many different modes of hearing protection I am using ear buds that mute guns shots but allow normal range commands and conversations and ear muffs that work the same. Double protection. The noise for pistol/rifles with muzzle brakes or hot loads like .38 Super in pistol with muzzle brake require a lot for me.

And when I expect to be in a loud environment for any length of time I carry foam ear plugs in the car just in case. I learned that lesson when I had a lot fun watching the rodeo at the Ft Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. The new Dickies's arena puts out a lot noise for the audience and cowboys.

Top Bottom