• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    We recently hijacked M3rt's thread about his brand new 10/22 when we started discussing the accuracy differences between KIDD's fluted match barrels and their new Ultra-Lightweight barrels.

With my curiosity piqued I decided to put the two barrels in a head-to-head competition to see which one comes out on top. With my two favorite full-KIDD rifles in hand, a bucketfull of Wolf Match .22, and some homemade targets off I went to Eagle Peak to enjoy a beautiful day putting tiny holes into paper. This is the result of that informal test.

First off let's look at the two rifles in question. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics... I spent all my damn money on these two guns :)

20140416_171857_zpsbba8aff3.jpg

The one on the top sports a KIDD Supergrade Receiver, 20" Fluted Match Barrel capped by one of their compensators, KIDD's sweet two-stage trigger (12 oz. first stage, 12 oz. second stage), one of their scalloped precision bolts, spring and guide rod. The whole thing is topped off by a Leupold VX-2 and set inside a Boyd's Classic stock. It weighs in at 6.85 pounds dry.

The one below is a KIDD Classic Reciever, 16.5" Ultra-Lightweight Barrel, KIDD's crisp single-stage trigger (1.5 lb. pull weight), one of their matte silver precision bolts, spring and guide rod. It's topped off by a Simmons .22 Mag scope with adjustable objective and sitting inside a Hogue overmolded stock. This little gem weighs in at a wonderful 5.25 pounds dry.

Two very different rifles but each accurate as hell... far more accurate than yours truly. In fact, I am the weakest link to the true capabilities of both these guns. I love buying great hardware but the "software" is bargain bin :) The test was held on the bench at 25 yards, with five shots on each of 10 one-inch squares. Here are the results of the shoot:

20140416_171156_zps37eea23f.jpg

First up is the fluted match barrel. It comes in at 0.272", 0.275", 0.331", 0.416", 0.477", 0.409", 0.228", 0.428", 0.399", and 0.296" for an average group size of 0.3531". To this day I still marvel at how light and crisp KIDD's two-stage triggers are. You have to shoot it to believe it.

20140416_171328_zps1bf807bf.jpg

Next up is the lightweight barrel... groups come in at 0.551", 0.239", 0.315", 0.236", 0.404", 0.559", 0.362", 0.335", 0.640", and 0.333" for an average group size of 0.3974". KIDD's single-stage trigger takes a little more getting used to but it breaks so cleanly that it's easy to get off consistently good shots. As much as I love two-stage triggers I will always have a warm soft spot for perfect single-stage bang switches.

The results surprised me. Not that I had much doubt that the longer, heavier fluted match barrel would win out but by the small margin it would do so against the shorter lightweight barrel. In conclusion, the fluted match barrel just barely edges out the ultra-lightweight barrel but only by a scant 0.0443 inches! Maybe in the hands of a much better shooter than myself the gap would be wider but from my perspective you can't go wrong with either choice.

Not bad at all especially when you consider that the lightweight KIDD is so much more enjoyable to shoot offhand...

Anyway I hope this little test was interesting to y'all. It was definitely interesting to me.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

M3rt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    nice write up! thanks for the info... I cant wait to try out my UL this weekend.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    BTW, I just wanted to point out that those black one-inch squares don't really show bullet holes very well even through a scope. I had to take it on faith that I was on-target. I just bisected each square with the crosshairs and hoped for the best. I think some of the larger groups might have been tighter if I had used some of those fancy Shoot-N-See targets so I could see where the shots were impacting :)

I really wished better shooters like TexMex or Scott had been there to run the test. I bet the results would have been different.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Thanks for the range report on that. So it seems the ultra light shoots pretty close the the match barrel. That is surprising to me but there it is.

What ammo?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Any discussion of barrels should at the very minimum discuss chamber design. Does the Bentz chamber factor in either of those barrels?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's simply a comparison of one barrel to another of the same manufacturer.

I don't see why chamber design needs to be discussed.

At the minimum, we only need to know the barrels used and the specifics of each rifle. Which he provided.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston

At the minimum, we only need to know the barrels used and the specifics of each rifle. Which he provided.

Two different barrels, yes, but also two different receivers, different triggers, different stocks, different scopes, etc.. Academically it's hard to say that it was just the barrel making the difference.

Put the two different barrels on the same receiver/trigger/stock/scope rig and see what happens. Only then would you have a true "apples to apples" comparison.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409

Since the experiment isolated only one brand of ammo (Wolf Match) shot through two different barrels, it would be prudent to know if the rounds were loaded into match grade chambers or standard .22 LR reamed chambers.

.22 LR is mighty variable between brands; identical makes of the same rifle/barrel, and time of day/phase of the moon.

Many of us long time .22 LR rifle shooters always seek the holy grail of bulls eye accuracy. To discount chamber dimensions even from the same manufacturer is sticking your head in the sand.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom