Lynx Defense

Head Down or Up When Processing Deer and Other Large Game?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    When I hoist a deer (or hog for that matter) up on the gambrel for processing (gutting/skinning) I do it 'head up', while (I think) most do it 'head down'.

Why do I do it 'head up'?

It's easier.

How's that?

After my vertical skin cut, (being careful not to slice the innards) from throat on down, I reach in for the top of the wind pipe, cut it horizontally, which I then use as a handle, behind which I carefully cut and gently pull and cut until the entire organ package (if you will) falls out all in one bundle.

Am I in the minority processing using this approach?

What say you?
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    kyle,

Of late, I've been watching some 'hunting videos' and have yet to see anyone process a deer/hog, etc. like I do.

So, head up or down...assuming you're 4 legged animal killer?

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Gutless on the tailgate is preferred. I can get the 'straps, the rear quarters, the rib/shoulder/neck, and the tenderloins without opening the body cavity.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    In regard to processing game animals, I've processed them both ways.

Many times it depended on what equipment/setup I had available. I've also field-dressed them on the ground.

I prefer to hoist the animal, hind legs stretched, and work downward. I've been in camps where the setup necessitated hanging the animal from the head. Either way works.

I'll forego the "inuendo".

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    If I'm dressing in camp, I do head down, but a different order than most. Cut around the rectum and tie, zip the skin up from throat to top (junk) without cutting the peritoneum membrane and opening the gut. Use a short saw to cut down from sternum to throat. Open the peritoneum from top to bottom, reach in and pull the tied rectum through, and use gravity to pull the guts and organs out while cutting them loose along the spine and diaphragm. Reach in and cut the esophagus. Done.

This way you can cut the sternum without the guts resting on your work area.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Man, I had no idea of the wide variety of processing I see in this thread.

Fantastic!

I see I neglected to mention my processing method is 'in camp' only and also that my approach is in the minority of processing methods.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Head down. I can have one skinned, quartered, organs for dogs removed and all bones for dog food stock( basically all of the bones) in the cooler in about 25-30 minutes. ( faster on pigs as I do not gut them)
    No reason to try something new.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Head up ass down just the way I learned.
    Though I've also down them laying on the ground. Not fun but when push comes to shove ya gotta get it done and those Mule dear live in the deserts and those Cholla cacti aren't made for hanging critters from.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hoji,

You da man!

If my life depended on it, I can't do it that fast even with a helper.

I'm slow as molasses!

Lonesome Dove,

Good to hear as I was beginning to think I was the only 'head up' processor.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When I hoist a deer (or hog for that matter) up on the gambrel for processing (gutting/skinning) I do it 'head up', while (I think) most do it 'head down'.

Why do I do it 'head up'?

It's easier.

How's that?

After my vertical skin cut, (being careful not to slice the innards) from throat on down, I reach in for the top of the wind pipe, cut it horizontally, which I then use as a handle, behind which I carefully cut and gently pull and cut until the entire organ package (if you will) falls out all in one bundle.

Am I in the minority processing using this approach?

What say you?

Jesse Griffiths does it head up for the same reasons.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Gutting is head up if not laying on its side.

If it’s been field dressed waiting skinning head down. Once it been skinned out breaking it head down was how I was taught, same as domestic animals for the weight is in the hind.

It also depends on if it’s being caped out, then head down.

Rib/ loin separated on a table. Front ends can be split head up, but neck & head removed.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Flat on the tailgate with legs up. Slit from throat to genitals and "Y" off on each side of the rear legs around the anus just under the tail. Cut the windpipe and pelvis, guts get dumped to one side off the tailgate into a pile. No fuss, no muss and no contamination.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom