• ...and so much more!
  • Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Does anyone know if HB 2675 which relates to an expedited license to carry a handgun for a person who is at increased risk of becoming a victim of violence, requires the class, finger prints and the rest? I read the bill and it does not say. It appears that they will issue it within 10 days but not much else regarding the procedure. This is for people with Protection orders.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I'd be very surprised if it allowed one to bypass the class etc.
    Plus I would very highly recommend to class, especially for someone at risk of being a victim of violence because the class touches on when it is ok to shoot and when not to shoot... Further education in this area is very highly advised.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I'd be very surprised if it allowed one to bypass the class etc.
    Plus I would very highly recommend to class, especial!y for someone at risk of being a victim of violence because the class touches on when it is ok to shoot and when not to shoot... Further education in this area is very highly advised.

No disagreement on any of the above. Just looking for clarification on the procedures. My daughter just called DPS and got clarification. They sent her to their website to begin the application. There is a selection for the license under this bill which will guide her through it. She will still need to take the course and get fingerprints but the process will be expedited when you have a protection order.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    True but having an LTC has its perks. Travel in other States being the primary one.

ETA: Plus I really want her to have the class.

True, but with constitutional carry, she could carry it legally right now, not ten days from now when her permit might or might not arrive.
    With permitless carry she can carry as long as she isn't prohibited from having a firearm. She could always get a carry permit when it became available for her to get the class. That is the great thing about permitless carry, not being constricted to getting a permit in order to carry for self defense.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    As a follow up on the process, I have to say that the DPS has been very responsive. They actually called my daughter to let her know that they received her PPO and finger prints and asked her to upload her LTC completion certificate. She let them know that she was to complete the range portion at the end of the week and would have it uploaded for them then.

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    Does anyone know if HB 2675 which relates to an expedited license to carry a handgun for a person who is at increased risk of becoming a victim of violence, requires the class, finger prints and the rest? I read the bill and it does not say. It appears that they will issue it within 10 days but not much else regarding the procedure. This is for people with Protection orders.
    I'd have to call the sponsor (or you can if you care to do so) but the legislation says "application materials" (plural). I would assume that would require fingerprints, training etc. HOWEVER, as was pointed out by George S., this is no longer necessary as we have Permitless Carry.

I do recall that this bill went through because the fate of PC was uncertain at the time. I thought and still think it's a good bill and yes, while I fought hard for PC, I still went and got my LTC. (Long story on the timing of that for another day).

Hope that helps.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    I'd have to call the sponsor (or you can if you care to do so) but the legislation says "application materials" (plural). I would assume that would require fingerprints, training etc. HOWEVER, as was pointed out by George S., this is no longer necessary as we have Permitless Carry.

I do recall that this bill went through because the fate of PC was uncertain at the time. I thought and still think it's a good bill and yes, while I fought hard for PC, I still went and got my LTC. (Long story on the timing of that for another day).

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the follow up Andi. I know that she could have carried without a permit but I wanted her to go through the course so that she could learn the law have the benefit of training from someone other than me, as well as the extra perks that come along with an LTC. And for the record she was not waiting on the LTC to carry but it was nice that it could be expedited in her case. I am happy to say that she is already finished and made a perfect 100 on the written test and a perfect 250 on the shooting portion. The DPS was hounding her (called her 3 times) to finish the shooting portion and get the certificate in to them. She uploaded her certificate and her LTC was printed the next business day. Pretty good if you ask me.

I think it is a good bill also. I think that I have created a monster, though. She is looking into more training and is planning to sign up for some tactical courses now. In case you can't tell, I am very proud of her.

Last edited:

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    Thanks for the follow up Andi. I know that she could have carried without a permit but I wanted her to go through the course so that she could learn the law have the benefit of training from someone other than me, as well as the extra perks that come along with an LTC. And for the record she was not waiting on the LTC to carry but it was nice that it could be expedited in her case. I am happy to say that she is already finished and made a perfect 100 on the written test and a perfect 250 on the shooting portion. The DPS was hounding her (called her 3 times) to finish the shooting portion and get the certificate in to them. She uploaded her certificate and her LTC was printed the next business day. Pretty good if you ask me.

I think it is a good bill also. I think that I have created a monster, though. She is looking into more training and is planning to sign up for some tactical courses now. In case you can't tell, I am very proud of her.
    I couldn't agree with you more! The LTC is a MUCH better deal-absolutely!
    Very cool that she's digging the tactical training. I've had some and it was way fun!

As a former DV survivor, I am ENORMOUSLY proud of her as well!! She's made hard decisions and rock on her!!!!!

Congratulations to you both!

Now, is she a member of TSRA?

Top Bottom