• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    These types of bills are very important to our state and federal legislatures.

It keeps them busy so they don't have to focus on the real issues they are supposed to be dealing with.

At least the discount for CPR training is something I don't have a problem with.
    Venture Surplus ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Here the fun part: Gov Abbot signed this in to law in June, it became effective 9/1/19 - but DPS doesn't know it and still requires you to pay for renewals!

Eli

Close, but no cigar. The Lege did not appropriate funds for the program.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Close, but no cigar. The Lege did not appropriate funds for the program.

Conversation with DPS indicated most employees - including supervisors - were unaware the law was passed and signed into law. The clerk and the renewal office acted like my wife was stupid when she presented her CPR certificate, of course same clerk refused to correct an error (typo) on her DL without an 'official government document' - and refused to accept the spelling on her Social Security Card as correct! The DPS representative that called us from Austin said she knew it had been discussed, but hadn't actually been passed - she looked into it with her supervisors.
    This happened prior to the TSRA email...
    ETA: This last legislative session was probably the worst in Texas history, Dan Patrick needs to be unemployed!

Eli

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If the program wasn’t funded, where does DPS get the money to train the employees on the program?

There are tons of unfunded programs across the state like this. One, provides grant money to students who graduate high school early and go straight to college.

It’s advertised by the state as an available program. But there’s no way to apply because the program is unfunded.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    So, is this a thing, or is it not a thing. My 19 year old will have his 20th birthday soon, and I would like to talk him into taking CPR and his LTC class; he’s down.

Saving some money on fees would be great.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    So, is this a thing, or is it not a thing. My 19 year old will have his 20th birthday soon, and I would like to talk him into taking CPR and his LTC class; he’s down.

Saving some money on fees would be great.
    Not a thing, IIRC. But you are exempt from 30.06 and 30.07 if you are "volunteer emergency services personnel". Some people say that being CPR certified puts you in that group. I'm not sure about that, but it has not been tested in court. If I were going to claim that exception, then I would want to be an official card-carrying member of a somewhat well known volunteer emergency services organization.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Because with operating cars or weapons, there IS a chance of injury :P

Well, operating motor vehicles and firearms DOES have a risk of injury, even if it's just M1 thumb, and being able to render First Aid and CPR _would_ safe lives (proper Good Samaritan laws provided) and it _would_ be something that could be thrown back in the faces of anti-gun activists. See? We ARE doing something reasonable and useful that actually might save lives, not just when driving and shooting; unlike your consistent trying to chip away at gun rights.

Everything you do has a risk of injury. Are you going to require everyone get a First Aid license? Why not just teach it in school like I learned it long ago. Then many times over in various disciplines. If people really wanted to do it they will. Just because they force you to pay and take a class doesn't mean they will help you. Those that take the class voluntarily will probably be the ones you get aid from. Those that are forced will more than likely be the ones to turn and walk away.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom