• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Where the potatoes were planted, I will amend the soil with more mushroom compost, I'm down to about a yard or so. I will plant carrots, I may try some other root crop, I purchased some parsnip seed, but I need to see what the planting time frame is, since I don't remember what I read. Since it is nearly the end of May, I will probably plant some okra and maybe another round of corn. I have not decided. I need to rebuild some of the raised beds since they were built from HT wood, they have lasted about 4 years and need repair as well. I have planted an apple and peach tree in 15 gallon pots for now, it has been to much rain to plant in the ground now. I have strawberry and goji berry plants on order that I will be planting. I want to start comfrey and maybe get some rabbits and chickens, comfrey is a great protein source for these to feed on, as well as useful to mulch your plants. Comfrey will grow very deep roots and bring minerals and nutrients up to the surface for soil enrichment, as well as being useful for making salves.

@gll, keep in mind the leaves of sweet potatoes are edible as well as carrot greens if you are growing those. More ways to use what you grow.
    Gun Zone Deals

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    This AM out into the garden by 7. Picked habanero peppers and fresh basil, washed, cleaned and cut everything up. Now in the oven drying to make crushed habanero and some dried basil. I need to go out and do the same for some dill weed.

Yesterday evening finished potting 60 strawberry plants, this year the plant company (Gurney's) sent them FedEx instead of snail mail. Last year they sat at the Cypress, Texas facility for nearly 2 weeks, pretty much DOA. I was pissed.

Gurney's has shipped the 2 Goji berry plants, those will be planted in a flowerbed to make part of a edible landscape I am thinking about. Depending on how they grow/survive I may order several more.

The apple and peach trees ( reachable varieties 6-10 foot height) are leafing out nicely.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    For the moment I am skipping the dill weed, I looked at my "wandering onions" and decided to top the greens on some of the plants and dry those. I ended up with a 5 quart colander nearly full after I sliced them! First batch is in the oven. The habanero are cooled, crushed and jarred, about a half-pint, the same for the first round of basil, the second batch of basil is now drying.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Yesterday evening I picked the second planting of potatoes, it wasn't a very good yield, maybe 25 more pounds, but when I planted them I did not amend the soil, it was last years. Today I planted 2 goji berry plants.
    I will need to rebuild a number of raised beds, the heat treated material I used lasted right at 4 years. I think I will be using ground treated 2 X 8's on the next round. I have a lot of farmers plastic left to line the walls of the beds to prevent chemical leeching from the wood, although I'm not really overly concerned about this.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    This weekend has been a busy one. I have rebuilt raised bed planters 2- 3' X 8' X 18"D so that they are now 4' X 9' X 14 5/8" C and 2- 3' 6" X 9' X 18" to now 4' X 9' X14 5/8". I also converted 2 = 3' X 8' X 18" to one large bed to now 4' X 20' X 14 5/8"D. This has been a major undertaking for me. I also slowly burned all of the trash wood a little at a time, while keeping it under watch and keeping all of the surrounding area wetted. I still have a small amount of trash wood to burn. I still need to tear out some "shelves" where I kept potted plants growing, due to rot.

I need to get things ready to plant for the fall.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    3, plus I give to my neighbors and extended family. Where I live, people do not earn large incomes in general, my aunt for example lost her husband. They never had large incomes to save a lot, and soc sec does not pay her a lot. She struggles, she needs some help. Since she is in her mid-80's she is of the mindset to cook for herself and do as much as she can. I can supply some extra food like what she and her parents canned in her youth, on their farm. It isn't much.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    So here are photos of what I have done so far in replacing the old raised garden beds. Even laid down some landscaper's cloth so I can get a load of wood chips to reduce weeding!

Rebuilt Raised Bed_1.jpg

Rebuilt Raised Bed_2.jpg
    Rebuilt Raised Bed_3.jpg

Everything is being affected by the heat and lack of rain, those are my 2 habanero peppers that have made the aforementioned crushed red peppers.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The project I started this morning. My dad re-slatted this old garden bench 20+ years ago. Now it is my turn to fix this up. In other news, my mom has ended her chemo treatments and will be starting a pill treatment. The neuropathy that has been caused by the chemo should go away. I want this bench to be fixed, so she can have a place to sit outside when she will need a break. She wants to return to doing her yard work and flowers so much.

Next Project Bench.jpg

What I have done so far this morning, I still have to make a top "slat" with some kind of design, I think it will be a fairly simple one.
    The metal will be cleaned and painted with an "aged bronzed" look, and the wood will be "Ford Blue", I wanted something that would stand out but be tasteful at the same time, I think it will work well. But, I have been wrong before.

Bench Slats.jpg

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    As a side note, so much wood, even treated lumber is purchased "wet". I let this sit for a couple of days and checking was terrible. I cut out the flaws, and I applied a medium CA glue to the end grain, in hopes of reducing cracks. For a painted project I did not worry about not taking the "finish", the paint stuck on fine.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rhodes is a good product. I am just trying to learn some new skills. Yesterday, I oven canned 12 quarts of rice, 12 of pasta and 12 dry bean soup blends. This is also something I never tried before. As I get older I think more about the time I shall no longer work and have a robust income. So, I have been adding things to my skill set to enhance my waning years. I really do like to eat!

The garden is doing very well this year, potatoes are between 8 an 10 inches tall already, the cherry tomatoes are starting to put on and probably in 35 days or so will be picking beans and squash(zucchini), I will be planting yellow crooknecks next week, trying to stagger the squash. Today transplanted some Big Beef tomatoes and eggplant to another raised bed. With the rain from the last two days I did not get another raised bed assembled and filled for planting the Big Boy tomatoes, maybe sometime this week. In two weeks I should be transplanting jalapenos, serrano and habanero peppers to gallon containers for the summer. Golden Bantam corn is between 4 and 6 inches tall, still need to plant okra, but I have the beds worked up for those, just waiting for it to warm a little more. Busy little beaver I am!! LOL
    <>

”oven canned 12 quarts of rice”

As a guy who grew-up amid rice fields & rice mills; I’m scratching my head on this one.

Milled rice keeps so well if dry, w/o refrigeration, etc.

Why not just store it raw, uncooked, dry ?

leVieux

<?>

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

As a guy who grew-up amid rice fields & rice mills; I’m scratching my head on this one.

leVieux

<?>
    for someone that is supposedly educatedyou don't read real good do you? he explained that he was expanding his skillsets and trying new things

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    <>

leVieux

<?>

I had to look it up myself. And I’ve been canning food for a while.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Completed Garden Bench

Completed Garden Bench.jpg

The original bench slats are long gone, I remember that they were wider. I may make some adjustments with a couple of the slats, or I may leave it this way for "rustic" appeal. I rushed a bit and drilled a couple of the bolt holes "off", I don't have a drill press and the wood was wanting to lose its shape, even though I gave it a bit to acclimate. Overall I am satisfied, all that the bench really needs to do is hold my ass off of the ground!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom