• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I put in 3 strawberry plants that arrived just after the freeze. Trying a hanging basket for the first time. My house backs to the greenbelt so I have more critters to deal with. Had to build a cage. If this works out I will put in a small raised bed. I am a beginner at this.
    PXL_20210313_034124109.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    That is a good idea for a cage, I like it. I put out 20 strawberry plants, just potted them up in some nursery pots. I will later drape some bird netting over them. Other critters, no issues to date, fingers and toes crossed.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    About $20 in PVC fittings and pipe and zip ties. Fencing I had already. The other critters regularly show up in my yard. Racoons especially almost nightly.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    CORN, this has been an issue this year, I must have received a bad lot. Out of 250 seeds planted only 2 germinated!!! Today I re-worked the ground where I had planted before and once again sowed a new lot of seeds. Strawberrys' have been something also, they were growing just fine, blooming and putting on small berries, then the edges of the leaves on some started turning brown and the plants died, only 9 of the original 20 remain. Same soil, and the same ratio of fertilizer, I thought it may have been weed spray drift from the "nearby" rice fields when they sprayed, but it didn't hit all of the plants, ditto with some of the bush beans. Kind of strange, plants near the beans and strawberries were not affected.

Potatoes are doing well and starting to bloom, kale, collard greens, leaf lettuce, and kohlrabi are thriving also. I have been picking and eating the young lettuce, collards and kale for the last week. I was late getting in cucumbers but they are up. Some seeds that I planted to make "starts" did not germinate well either. I blame that partly on myself since I just planted them in cups outdoors and did not start them indoors this year, most likely the cooler nights are the culprit. Yellow squash and zucchini are coming along nicely and I expect to see blooms within two weeks or less.

Mole crickets have been a bit more "mild" this year, although I did kill one of the ugly little suckers today. Snails on the other hand have been terrible, I have been crushing them as fast as I find them, I hate wasting even cheap beer to trap them.

While, I am behind on getting some things planted, like tomatoes, jalapenos, serrano, and bell peppers, I am pretty happy with where I am. Onion starts and sweet potato slips still have not arrived, but I have the ground ready for when they do.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The aftermath of the "Big Freeze" has meant death to my citrus trees as well as my fig trees. I have ordered some of the RAZZMATAZZ grapes to try those. At maturity, 3 to 4 years can make 60 to 80 pounds of grapes per plant!! I also have ordered a different variety of strawberries (WHOPPER), which hopefully will do well. In addition, I stumbled upon a type of radish "GERMAN GIANT PARAT" supposedly, they can reach the size of a baseball and not become hot or woody!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I am trying the Elan F1 strawberries. Supposed to be excellent sweetness and flavor with smaller berries and keeps producing. Doing good so far!
    PXL_20210402_203505847.jpg

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    UPDATE 4/4/21: I was going to cut the fig trees down today, what do you know, 2 of the 3 have new growth coming from the roots!! Damn, that sure made my day!

Finished building the grape trellises so when they arrive I can plant them, also built new tomato trellis about 8.5' above my raised beds, hopefully, this year I will not run out of trellis space.

Now it is time for a COLD beer!! (3:11 PM)

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    4/16/21 After 7/10's of an inch of rain, the garden is looking pretty damn good!

Attachments

• garden1_4_16_21.jpg
      garden1_4_16_21.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 100
    • garden2_4_16_21.jpg
      garden2_4_16_21.jpg
      93.8 KB · Views: 99
    • garden3_4_16_21.jpg
      garden3_4_16_21.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 95
    • garden4_4_16_21.jpg
      garden4_4_16_21.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 101

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Garden 1 Zucchini "center", onion starts "right", kale and strawberries "rear center"

Garden 2 Carrots and onion "right rear", tomatoes and kohlrabi "front center", potatoes and asparagus "rear center/right"
    In with the tomatoes and kohlrabi I planted some bush beans yesterday "companion planting", will put some nitrogen back into the soil.

Garden 3 at the arch in the rear, cucumbers waiting to be trained to grow upwards, will be shading a heat resistant leaf lettuce and more kohlrabi, left more potatoes, leaf lettuce and to the rear of the lettuce some more tomatoes, just hard to see, I was late getting them planted.

Garden 4 pole beans growing on an improvised pyramid trellis, watermelons in the clear patch "center", more potatoes, early summer yellow squash in the "left rear" raised bed, and then some potted bush beans along the fence. In the clear area where the watermelons are I planted a few remaining seed potatoes, since my corn never germinated after 3 attempts, I threw away the remaining seed and planted the potatoes.

I just finished my strawberry wall planter, now I have to assemble it, fill it with soil, and then plant the strawberry plants when they arrive.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    This is the strawberry planter box I built, it is not quite complete due to rain today. I am going to add some horizontal trellis boards to the sides and top so I can plant some type of vining veggie like pole beans and let them grow up and over. I plan to build another like it when I acquire more material, everything is from reclaimed pallet lumber, my only cost is 3-inch prime guard screws, some exterior grade titebond III glue, and some finishing nails.

Attachments

• Strawberry Planter.jpg
      Strawberry Planter.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 167

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Early morning snail patrol! The damn things are a real PIA this year. Last night 4/23/21 killed 30+, this morning Killed 50+!! I started setting out beer traps this morning after the kill fest. I could go into snail sales for French cuisine this year, some really large snails, about the size of a fifty-cent piece.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    A snail walks into a sports car dealership and says "I want the fastest car you have and paint a big "S" on it. Why the big S the salesperson asks? The snail replies "When I speed down the street I want everyone to say Look at that S car go!"

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Not all yeasts are the same. makes a big difference and hard to find now.Another covid thing.

FerdinandIV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2021
    Waxahachie, TX
    Not all yeasts are the same. makes a big difference and hard to find now.Another covid thing.
    Harvesting wild yeast is relatively easy, but it doesn't perform half as well as commercial yeast. The only way I've found that you can get anywhere close to a good strain is if you keep a starter going for ages and ages. It takes about a month after putting the jar out for the thing to ferment to where it's mostly yeast and you've got to watch it really closely because lactic acid bacteria can build up if you let it go for too long.

That being said, if you gather a few different strains from different areas, combining them can produce a pretty solid yeast for making bread with.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Early morning snail patrol! The damn things are a real PIA this year. Last night 4/23/21 killed 30+, this morning Killed 50+!! I started setting out beer traps this morning after the kill fest. I could go into snail sales for French cuisine this year, some really large snails, about the size of a fifty-cent piece.

Get a couple ducks. They will solve the snail problem fast

FerdinandIV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2021
    Waxahachie, TX
    Thanks for the advice, but I have no room for animals.
    If you can, plant some Lavender, Sage, or Rosemary around, they're supposed to be pretty good at deterring snails. If you don't have time for that, get some dried sage and rosemary and put that around (but not too much, it can hurt some plants).

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I decided to dig up some potatoes today. I planted 94, pulled 18 today, they could have remained in the ground another 2-3 weeks, but I wanted some fresh, the store-bought ones are so nasty. I did not weigh them, but I filled a 5-gallon bucket heaping, and half of a 2.5-gallon nursery pot. Had mashed potatoes for supper! damn good.

Top Bottom