Join TexasGunTalk

Having more time available now

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by 2ManyGuns, Mar 22, 2020.

1. DoubleDuty

DoubleDuty Active Member

Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    My wife bakes bread. She freezes what we don't eat in one day then just unfreeze some to eat. Keeps it fresh.

2. 2ManyGuns

2ManyGuns In 1911's I Trust Lifetime Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Back into the garden this afternoon, planted 9 bell peppers, 18 more holes of potatoes, planting this second round to since I had quite a few left and to make seed potatoes for next spring so I will not need to buy any! Also planted a second round of bush beans and put up bird netting on the blueberry, black berry, strawberry and cherry tomatoes, damn Mocking Birds just love the fruits!

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  3. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Well-Known

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    nice

4. 2ManyGuns

Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today's grand experiment was Bread and Butter Zickles (Pickled Zucchini). Made 2 quarts and 2 pints. I have been eating so many zucchini I am turning GREEN!! The second planting of zucchini are blooming, the yellow squash are bearing fruit. I have been picking green (bush) beans for 3 weeks or so, the pole beans are putting on and starting to bear, cucumbers are thriving, second planting of potatoes are 10 to 12 inches tall, first planting will need to be harvested soon and the third planting are beginning to poke their little eyes above the soil. All of the peppers are doing well, the only thing not doing well are the okra, can't have everything perfect! And the cow peas (purple hull) are coming up as well. The golden bantam has 2 ears on most stalks, damn I may loose weight eating all of the veggies!! But I will be content to enjoy them!

cvgunman likes this.
  5. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere TGT Supporter

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Marking for more learning

6. 2ManyGuns

Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Todays project, my outdoor "Beer" table. I've been using an old sycamore stump for a table for 20 yrs, finally needed to replace it. The wood is all reclaimed pallet wood. I did not get fancy, I used simple hand tools, no jointer or anything like that. It is far from perfect, just serviceable. Clear marine grade varnish so I can see the natural wood.

Table 1.jpg Table 2.jpg Table 3.jpg

308nato likes this.
  7. 2ManyGuns

Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today's prepared-ness accomplishments:

Dug about 100lbs of red potatoes up, canned 2 qts. and 1 pt. of dill pickle chips, 8 pts. of a vegetable medley I am trying, (zucchini, yellow squash, baby carrots, green & yellow bell pepper, garlic and onions) first time attempting this, and 1 qt. of pickled carrots, this may not work, but I had some brine left so what the heck!

Byrd666 and ZX9RCAM like this.
  8. 2ManyGuns

Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today's prep, 4 pints of Dilly Beans, 4 pints of Dill Chips and 7 Quarts of Dill Spears. I have been freezing all of the green beans I have not been eating, and that has been about 4 quart bags each day, and about 3 quart bags of zucchini every other day.
    Been eating all the cherry tomatoes, I think in a week or so the big boy and big beef tomatoes should be getting ripe, they are growing like crazy, should be picking corn soon, ears are filling out nicely, some stalks even have 3 ears!!
    I think tomorrow I may make some stuffed jalapenos, or I might just pickle them.

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  9. 2ManyGuns

Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Once again in the kitchen, 3 quarts of dill spears, 2 quarts of whole dills, 2 quarts dill chips, 3 pints of dill spears, and 2 pints of pickled jalapenos!

Then it was outside to break down 7 pallets so I can make some more raised beds. I bought a pallet buster and a pneumatic punch for nail removal, so worth it. Tomorrow, I will go to the shop and pick up some more pallets and collect some hardwood shavings from the planes used for sizing wood for the doors. This works well in the compost since it is so fine of a material. Free stuff!

ZX9RCAM likes this.