• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I've gone from watching the grass grow to watching dust bunnies in the house, because of the heat!

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Damn, it was hotter than Hades out there today. Planted some beets, the seed potatoes that I ordered earlier in May, which were in stock are no longer available. I am pissed, ordered more than a month ago, and still, nothing has arrived except one DOA plant. I have ordered other seeds, and I have put some of the potatoes I harvested earlier aside to sprout and plant for fall.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today I picked enough okra to pickle 3 quarts. In the water bath now at 11:30 am.

Yesterday 6/25/22

Growing corn in raised beds is different than growing in the ground, corn needs some type of support. The simplest way I have found is to build a "brace" on each short end of the bed and then run tomato trellis string from end to end between the "rows". This is about 27 inches in height and will help to keep the corn from being damaged by high winds. Built the braces on 2 raised beds.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Braces for the corn:

Dent Corn 1.jpg

The above photo is the last bed of corn, as you can see it is still too short to reach the support "mesh". Braces are constructed from some scrap material I had left from other projects. Dent corn can grow as much as 10-12 feet in height!!!

Corn 2.jpg

In the above photo you can see how the corn will grow between the "mesh".

Corn 2 and Cowpeas.jpg

In an earlier post, I mentioned planting more purple hull peas for the "fall" garden since these are heat tolerant they are faring well!

Okra 1.jpg

In the above photo, you can see how densely I planted okra this year and the result. In the lower portion of the photo is a volunteer purple hull pea intertwined with sweet potato and some of the heat-resistant kale, which is still producing a reasonable amount of green edibles, there is more of the same to the left (not visible), and elsewhere in the garden.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
    silencers
    third coast
    DK Firearms
    Tyrant Designs
    Every Day Man
    Shroud
    Shroud
    Smith Sights

Latest posts