Having more time available now

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
I was tired from the long week and I have been recovering from a back injury, so far just had some steroids for the back, hopefully not too serious. So I slept in this morning, till 10:30 am, (I woke up at 6:45 am, had some breakfast, and went back to bed).

(12:45 pm) I have so far packaged for long-term storage 50 pounds of the rice in 1-gallon mylar bags w/ 500cc O2 absorber (10 cups per bag) and 36 pounds of long pasta (spaghetti 4 lbs per gallon bag) w/ O2 absorbers as well. I leave the pasta in its original plastic sleeve, cut a small hole in it so the O2 absorber can more readily suck up the O2, with the added benefit of having cook time and nutrition info on each sleeve. The bags are 7.5 mil and resealable. After inserting everything, I use the ziploc to close them and then seal them with an impulse sealer. Back to work!

Quit for the day, packaged and sealed an additional 30 lbs of sugar and 10 lbs of Buttermilk Complete Pancake mix. Then put those bags into food-grade 5-gallon buckets. I may finish tomorrow, I really need to make a run for non-iodized salt and some dry cereals to package for long-term storage, as well as some meats to can into ready-to-eat stews and soups.

I wondered where C Rations came from. You're now moving up my SL.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Your Shit List? Thank you very much. I practice, with great effort to be an annoyance! :evil: :roflfunny:

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Ok, back to preppin'. This has changed to not only preppin' for a natural disaster but to fight food inflation as well.

Today I added to the stores, 30 lbs of sugar, 24 lbs of elbow macaroni, 4 lbs of plain salt, 24 lbs of cornmeal. I have decided to also plan just not foods I eat, but also for supplies to preserve vegetables I raise in the garden as well as some items for curing and or storing meats. Jars are becoming more difficult to find, and I need more.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Today's order of business, cleaning, and seasoning some cast iron cookware I happened to find cheap, as in free! The dutch oven and frying pan both had some rust, nothing major, and for the most part on the exterior of the cookware. My neighbor was going to dump them, so I asked him for them. About an hour in total soaking in vinegar solution and a bit of elbow grease, they are on the second round of seasoning. I didn't have any grapeseed oil so I am having to make do with extra virgin olive oil. Not the best but it will work. I could not see this cookware being thrown away when it could be restored with relative ease.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May 12, 2009
Looks good.

I usually only make beirbrot. It doesn't get much easier (or IMHO tastier) than that.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Today I harvested some of the sweet potatoes I planted earlier. The bed is 32 square feet, I had planted 12 slips, 7 survived, the yield today was 2 5 gallon buckets. Nothing super large, many baking size, but quite a few fingerlings. The smaller ones I plan to use for making sweet potato pies, one of my all-time favorites.

I planted a second bed from clippings taken from the original vines, just a month younger. I know there are some medium-sized potatoes already there, but I am giving them till November to grow some more.

In addition to this, the seeds I started, broccoli and cauliflower, I began to move to individual containers to get them ready for in-ground planting, I ended up with 90 broccoli and 50 cauliflower. The cabbage I tried starting earlier, never did germinate, so I am trying again snd replanted those as well. I had to replant spinach also, damn grasshoppers ate it all.

Top Bottom