• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Took a drive into town for Tractor Supply. Cruising along about 70 mph down 1512out in the distance I think I see cattle out of a fence. A big body black & 2 brown brindle calf sized hogs letting a sounder runoff to safety.

No, I didn't stop & take pictures. Felt kind of stupid when it dawn on me them aint calves. I'm just real thankful I didn't hit them doing 70. I'd bet money they will ruins someones day in the near future.

Somewhere out here some rancher has to be pissed enough to let someone, who am I kidding these guy have oil & gas wells.
    Capitol Armory ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    M134_in_HH-53.png

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I was between Alpine and Marathon on my way to a project in the Big Bend Park when I saw the faint outline of a herd of large animals I couldn't make out. The animals were large and had a strange gait. I asked an outfitter from Alpine what the heck they could have been. He told me I had most likely seen a wild herd of Camels that lived out there.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I was between Alpine and Marathon on my way to a project in the Big Bend Park when I saw the faint outline of a herd of large animals I couldn't make out. The animals were large and had a strange gait. I asked an outfitter from Alpine what the heck they could have been. He told me I had most likely seen a wild herd of Camels that lived out there.
    I seen the camels out in Arizona just trucking along not a care in the world.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Worked with a woman that was very "woke". Big lib and totally into saving the planet, etc., so she chose to drive a Prius. Her trip to work took her through some rural areas where there were a lot of deer. After she hit the THIRD one, she decided a bigger vehicle might be a good idea. One of the deer impacted in such a way that it almost went through the windshield.

Reminds me of back when I did some work in Maine. We were leaving the plant to drive across the state to the airport. The plant manager cautioned us to watch out for the moose. We laughed. He got very serious and pointed out that it was a time of the year when moose frequently wandered around on the roads and since they are the equivalent of a cow on stilts, the body usually ends up in the front seat. We didn't see any moose, but the description stuck with me.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I've seen elk take the top of cars off along with the heads of the driver and passenger in AZ on the rim.

Took me a couple miles past the wreck till I realized the yellow tarp covering the driver didn't have a head and the yellow tarp on the side of the road wasn't covering a bowling ball.

Read the next day both were decapitated and the elk had to be put down by state troopers.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Back in early 80's I was working in oilfield and delivering equipment to a rig around 2AM. I was in a pickup running around 90-95 on a two lane. That was pretty SOP back in the day. I pull out my Bic lighter to light a cigarette and there was a flash of light in my eye for a brief moment and as it cleared I looked up and was passing a big ole cow laying right on the center strip of the road. I did not see the cow until i passed it at 90+.
    I slowed then pulled over and sat there for quite a while counting my blessing.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Took a drive into town for Tractor Supply. Cruising along about 70 mph down 1512out in the distance I think I see cattle out of a fence. A big body black & 2 brown brindle calf sized hogs letting a sounder runoff to safety.

No, I didn't stop & take pictures. Felt kind of stupid when it dawn on me them aint calves. I'm just real thankful I didn't hit them doing 70. I'd bet money they will ruins someones day in the near future.

Somewhere out here some rancher has to be pissed enough to let someone, who am I kidding these guy have oil & gas wells.
    Did you get your truck repaired from that hit hog?

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    We've got a lot of stupid wild burros out here too, coming home from a job on 118 this morning had 20+ grazing on both sides of the highway, talk about wreckage hitting a couple of them at 75.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    We've got a lot of stupid wild burros out here too, coming home from a job on 118 this morning had 20+ grazing on both sides of the highway, talk about wreckage hitting a couple of them at 75.
    Only thing that I hit was big bodied Muley. Never saw a burro in about 8 months driving between Alpine and the Park.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I've often thought about the insurance companies.
    I'm sure they track losses due to hog hits I know they do for deer.

Texas is in the top 5 of states for deer collisions.

I have read if they go to losing lots of money due to any other wildlife (other states also not just Texas) that they start squealing (pun intended) to the authorities

They have played part in deer herd population in some states where losses from deer strikes are more common like Michigan where the insurance companies give input on regulations for seasons and bag limits

I am waiting to see when and if they have anything to say about hog control and what any possible solutions might be.

I recall a program where you turned in coyotes ears for a reward. That would be interesting.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I've often thought about the insurance companies.
    I'm sure they track losses due to hog hits I know they do for deer.

Texas is in the top 5 of states for deer collisions.

I have read if they go to losing lots of money due to any other wildlife (other states also not just Texas) that they start squealing (pun intended) to the authorities

They have played part in deer herd population in some states where losses from deer strikes are more common like Michigan where the insurance companies give input on regulations for seasons and bag limits

I am waiting to see when and if they have anything to say about hog control and what any possible solutions might be.

I recall a program where you turned in coyotes ears for a reward. That would be interesting.
    My friend in San Angelo was very involved in the sheep and goat industry. The government at times would bring out helicopter hunters who were paid by the ear. The hunters would open up female yotes to see if they were pregnant. All unborn pups were counted in the kill total also.

Top Bottom