• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I recently discovered the hash knife, or Ula knife, and it is the trick. You can dice an onion or pepper in no time, at all. Joanne just asked me to cut up some cilantro for her. She said she wanted it cut up pretty small. In just a couple of minutes I had it cut up into very small pieces. You're cutting with a rocking motion so you'll need to be careful with your fingers and thumbs as it would pretty easy to have a mishap. Maybe y'all are experienced with them but I just found out about them and wish I'd known about them sooner.
    Hash Knife.jpg

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Yeah the ulu knife. It's a inuit thing right? skinning, food prep, igloo construction, like an arctic multitool.
    I think they pass them down through the family, and the knowledge of the ancestors is passed to the next generations.

Edit

From the wiki

An ulu (Inuktitut syllabics: ᐅᓗ, plural: uluit, English: "woman's knife"[1]) is an all-purpose knife traditionally used by Inuit, inupiaq, Yupik, and Aleut women. It is utilized in applications as diverse as skinning and cleaning animals, cutting a child's hair, cutting food and, if necessary, trimming blocks of snow and ice used to build an igloo.[2]

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yeah the ulu knife. It's a inuit thing right? skinning, food prep, igloo construction, like an arctic multitool.
    I think they pass them down through the family, and the knowledge of the ancestors is passed to the next generations.

Edit

From the wiki

An ulu (Inuktitut syllabics: ᐅᓗ, plural: uluit, English: "woman's knife"[1]) is an all-purpose knife traditionally used by Inuit, inupiaq, Yupik, and Aleut women. It is utilized in applications as diverse as skinning and cleaning animals, cutting a child's hair, cutting food and, if necessary, trimming blocks of snow and ice used to build an igloo.[2]

From what I read about the ulu knives some years ago, they were like an all-purpose type knife.

Lots of chefs have gravitated towards using them for chopping various food items when prepping for cooking, because of their ease of use.

A lot of custom knifemakers are making them for customers as well. I think there is a renewed interest in them now, because a lot of celebrity chefs on TV are using them.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I did not realize that, though I have wanted one for some time now. Seems like it be great for skinning.
    (Though a moderately sharp rock has actually been the best tool shown to me for separating a hide from a deer. Basically impossible to nick the muscle)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I did not realize that, though I have wanted one for some time now. Seems like it be great for skinning.
    (Though a moderately sharp rock has actually been the best tool shown to me for separating a hide from a deer. Basically impossible to nick the muscle)

IIRC, some leatherworkers will a ulu type knife for some various leather working tasks.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Since they have become very popular with chefs, I'm actually working on a design of my own for a hash or ulu type knife to make.

Try cutting down a rotor that's in decent shape. You'll already have the basic shape, and the metal is already heat hardened.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    One of the traditional uses in fact

Since they have become very popular with chefs, I'm actually working on a design of my own for a hash or ulu type knife to make.
    Try cutting down a rotor that's in decent shape. You'll already have the basic shape, and the metal is already heat hardened.

My plan is to use some heavy circle saw blades. Basic round shape, and also already heat-treated and tempered. I would have to anneal the area for the handle and the pins though.

Still in the design stages at the time though.

What type of rotor are you talking about? Like a brake rotor for a motorcycle?

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    I didn't know these were getting that popular down here. I'd seen one or two but never heard the name until I went to Tuk. The traditional uses are like everything, mainly depending on the size. They're a one and done tool on the tundra. In the True North, it's just a "knife".

Top Bottom