• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So, I have a habit of buying vintage scopes for vintage rifles. The new stuff is usually some form of matte black, and just doesn't look quite right on many older guns, at least to me. My go to is the Weaver K4 as they are usually decently nice, simple scopes that can be had cheaply. So, I bought one and it showed up today. There's something not quite right with it.

So, the ebay seller described the glass as being clear and scratch free. When I first looked through the scope, that was far from the case. There were numerous brown/dark colored things on the lens that looked like scratches.

6abe76f84bbffa847b5edeb50627d12e.jpg

After a lot of looking, I realized they were not on the outside of the lens. In fact, most of it wasn't even on the first lens. It was some kind of sticky stuff stuck to the inner lens, and it cleaned up. What didn't clean up is the stuff around the outer edge of the outer lens.

e07e2babc1d0b9c5011a4c18263bb41e.jpg

Now this stuff is definitely on the outside of the lens. You can actually feel it with a finger nail. It's very faint, but it's there.

To my eyes, it doesn't look like damage to the glass. If I were to guess, it's glue that someone tried to wipe off the lens. Looking around the edge of the lens kind of lends credence to that theory. You can see glue around the edge of the lens, and in one place, it's a glob of glue.

f6bf31efab75e01fe41d76599fc43594.jpg

f444e95087b456d84691d649ed9f7860.jpg

My question is, is this a screw up by Weaver back in the day, or did Bubba try to fix the lens after it popped out at some point?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to send it back or try to fix it with some glue remover. The scope was cheapish ($100), but not enough that I would accept it as it is now. The rest of the scope is honestly really nice. It looks almost brand new. It's just that one lens that's buggered up. It just unscrews from the body so it could be replaced, but good luck finding one.
    Gun Zone Deals

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not really interested in having it professionally restored. I paid pretty close to the top end of what these are worth due to the condition it was supposed to be in, but I did look to see if they sold the part I would need. It looks like they sell the retainer piece, but not the lens.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think someone tried to fix something they had no business messing with.

I sent the seller a message with the pictures. It says on the item that he doesn't accept returns, but I have him dead to rights on the inaccurate description, which eBay says they specifically protect buyers against. I'm going to give him the chance to do what's right before I go to eBay and file a dispute.

It's sad. It was a nice scope other that that bad repair attempt.

EDIT: I'm going to send it back and he's going to refund me with no argument. I don't think this was his personal scope, it appears that he just sells a lot of sporting goods, so this might be one that had issues he just missed. It's great to see that there are still folks out there that will still do what's right.

Last edited:

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Yep,Some dumbazz probably tried to "Seal" the scope after it started fogging up after the factory inert gas leaked out over the years.
    Some people are just too stupid for their own good!
    And they drive and vote. There seems to be an over abundance of stupid drivers in Lubbock.

JoeAmerica

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2020
    Texas
    Jeez, what a let down.

My rant about eBay:

eBay used to be great, but ever since about 2015; everytime I buy anything from there, it turns out to be broken, counterfeit, or not as described in the slightest. Knowing this, I ask specific questions BEFORE buying.

Recently I bought an OEM vehicle fuse and specifically asked before purchasing, “if it was corroded.” They said “it was in great condition, no corrosion.” Assured I could buy with confidence, I made the purchase.

When it finally arrived, it was corroded. If anyone knows about electrical, that’s unusable garbage. The guy knew he was selling junk. When confronted with pictures he said I could send it back for a refund. Why? So you can rip someone else off? Waste more money out my pocket? I Charged back my credit card and tossed it in the trash.

I will never again buy from eBay. Apparently, eBay is a haven for junk peddlers that can’t hawk at the swap meets, Craigslist, or the pawn shop. People are so dishonest these days, sight unseen is just another tool in the box of a con artist.

Just my experience. Maybe others have good sellers they get stuff from. Seems like I can’t, no matter what.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Jeez, what a let down.

My rant about eBay:

eBay used to be great, but ever since about 2015; everytime I buy anything from there, it turns out to be broken, counterfeit, or not as described in the slightest. Knowing this, I ask specific questions BEFORE buying.

Recently I bought an OEM vehicle fuse and specifically asked before purchasing, “if it was corroded.” They said “it was in great condition, no corrosion.” Assured I could buy with confidence, I made the purchase.

When it finally arrived, it was corroded. If anyone knows about electrical, that’s unusable garbage. The guy knew he was selling junk. When confronted with pictures he said I could send it back for a refund. Why? So you can rip someone else off? Waste more money out my pocket? I Charged back my credit card and tossed it in the trash.

I will never again buy from eBay. Apparently, eBay is a haven for junk peddlers that can’t hawk at the swap meets, Craigslist, or the pawn shop. People are so dishonest these days, sight unseen is just another tool in the box of a con artist.

Just my experience. Maybe others have good sellers they get stuff from. Seems like I can’t, no matter what.

I agree, especially the part about counterfeit crap.

I think they’re starting to realize this isn’t good for business...they’ve started to authenticate watches that sell for over $2,000.

It’s mandatory, and I’m thinking it may roll out to other products.

Details here:

“When you make a sale, the item is sent to the independent industry-expert authenticator. Once they receive the item, they'll authenticate it within 2 business days. If the authenticator determines that the product isn't authentic, or that the item is not as described in the listing, the item will be returned to you and the buyer will receive their money back.

If the item passes inspection, it will be shipped to the buyer with two-day secure delivery, including signature confirmation.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is the first issue I've had on ebay, and the seller took care of it pretty fast. Pretty much the second the package hit his doormat, I was issued a refund. Paypal took a few days to get it to me, but that's not the sellers fault.

Some things are definitely better than others. I've heard of a lot of horror stories about electronics.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have bought lots of stuff off Ebay over the years. Very seldom have I been cheated on things I purchased. If possible, I buy new items. I check the seller's rating, and won't buy unless they have at least a 98% rating. I check the bad reviews.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom