• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Weather won't affect much unless your powder isn't a very temp stable type.

The only bad thing about 100 is it doesn't mean it will be accurate at further distances.
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Weather won't affect much unless your powder isn't a very temp stable type.

The only bad thing about 100 is it doesn't mean it will be accurate at further distances.

I was thinking more about wind, or how the weather would effect me, which is more likely. Even with higher winds it could still be compared based on vertical spread. I guess I just wanted to shoot more:)

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would have loaded five groups x2 at .2 grains difference centered around 43.5. By that I mean 10 rounds @ 43.1, 43.3, 43.5, 43.7, and 43.9 and shot 2 5 round groups with each.

I am going to guess that your 43.5 group is great and then it starts to open back up.

Just my prediction though. Let us know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I almost didn't load a batch at 45, but it would have bugged me later. And I was a little curious about the velocity from an 18" barrel.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    308 is actually very efficient in a short barrel.

That's what I've been seeing, but there is a lot of mixed info on the Internet about how much velocity is lost. Nice to just do it yourself and know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tested 4 more loads today. Loaded 5 rounds from my best batch last time plus 5 each at 44, 44.5, and 45gr. Otherwise, they were identical to the rounds from my last tests.

I shot prone again but this time I did remember my rear bag. Mirage was pretty bad today, that dot seemed to flicker and jump all over the place. Considered waiting but figured since I had carried the gear I would see what happened.

Winds were fairly calm. If say about 5mph from my back with an occasional 10mph gust.

Was about 10-15 degrees warner today than last time. I don't have the velocities handy right now but I do remember there was more deviation from the previous test than I expected using the 43.5gr load I carried over Fran the previous test. Will find and post them tomorrow.

My copy load of 43.5gr. IIRC this shot a group just under .5" last time. I couldn't do my part today it seems. I pulled one of the shots about an inch low. Knew it happened as soon as I fired so I didn't include it in the group size.

Here's 44gr

4amuhe7y.jpg

44.5gr, I remember these averaged about 2725fps

ape2unyg.jpg

And the max load from Hodgdon of 45gr

9ena6u5e.jpg

I think my next step will be to load 10 rounds each of 43.5 and 44.5 and shoot 4 five rounds groups at 200-300 yrds and use the best of those to fine tune.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Tested 4 more loads today. Loaded 5 rounds from my best batch last time plus 5 each at 44, 44.5, and 45gr. Otherwise, they were identical to the rounds from my last tests.

I shot prone again but this time I did remember my rear bag. Mirage was pretty bad today, that dot seemed to flicker and jump all over the place. Considered waiting but figured since I had carried the gear I would see what happened.

Winds were fairly calm. If say about 5mph from my back with an occasional 10mph gust.

Was about 10-15 degrees warner today than last time. I don't have the velocities handy right now but I do remember there was more deviation from the previous test than I expected using the 43.5gr load I carried over Fran the previous test. Will find and post them tomorrow.

My copy load of 43.5gr. IIRC this shot a group just under .5" last time. I couldn't do my part today it seems. I pulled one of the shots about an inch low. Knew it happened as soon as I fired so I didn't include it in the group size.

Here's 44gr

4amuhe7y.jpg

44.5gr, I remember these averaged about 2725fps

ape2unyg.jpg

And the max load from Hodgdon of 45gr

9ena6u5e.jpg

I think my next step will be to load 10 rounds each of 43.5 and 44.5 and shoot 4 five rounds groups at 200-300 yrds and use the best of those to fine tune.

What app/program is that?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    For android I use- Strelock, Shooting Solutions, Titusville Armory. Shooter looks to be good, I think I had a free version at one time but now it is about $10. But none of them use pics to measure group size like the one on iphone.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I use Strelok and it seems to be accurate enough for a free app. There is a paid version also but the free version does what I need it to.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have strelok as well and it works kinda close but the applied is much more thorough. The data input is more in depth and it has Litz BC database as well. I also like being able to directly compare loads in a graph and apply drift associated with barrel twist.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Let me clarify. I am sure there are much better apps out there and if I was going to do long range precision shooting I would be looking hard for one. But that justain't gonna happen anymore. Most of what I use them for is as a way to illustrate general pergormance of one round versus another for customers who only know what the guy on the huntin show said. You would be surprise at the number of people that think a .30-06 is the only bullet that will kill anything bigger than a raccoon. since my experience in precision shooting is not what I once desired, I reslize there are others on here that know FAR more about it than me. But it still interests me. I have learned a lot here and tell customers so. One even followed my advice and came on here last night. So yes, please dont take me as definetive, FAR from it, but those apps are easier than others I tried, and reasonably accurate for a starting point. I was just pointing out, I can't find one for android that measures pics either. Would be nice though, even with my bad shooting.

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    So, I've spent hours sorting and weighing brass and came up with a decent sampling of LC and a small batch of FC.
    I have a box of Barnes 55gr hp that I took 50 out of (10%) and weighed and measured. I didn't find any that deviated by .1gr or varied in diameter at all. Extremely consistent.

I loaded 10 with Remington 7 1/2 benchrest primers, 10 with CCI 400 primers (these are LC brass) and 22.2 gr of H322 powder.
    I also loaded 5 Federal brass with the benchrest primers and identical powder charge.

All charges were weighed and trued before being dumped in the cases. Each cartridge has an OAL of 2.205".

Now, I just need to get to the range and see how each load performs. While I'm at the range I'll also be evaluating the bells and whistles on the scope. Range finding, BDC and such, but will be using bulk loaded rounds from a progressive press. So, I need some time to get all the shooting done and results logged.

Top Bottom