• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbspeedfreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Hey folks,

Just picked up my first pistol in 9mm and would like to take some classes. I'll be purchasing the Magpul Dynamic Handgun video to establish a baseline first.

I am an experienced shooter, however, I've not had any formal training.

Can you recommend any classes in the Houston area? I see there's a place called Down Range Academy. Anyone have any luck with them?

Thanks!
    Lynx Defense

mtbspeedfreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    I'm in the west part of town. Though I don't mind driving occasionally to go to a proper range/course.

Are classes taught there?

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Try Hoffners.com. He has been a firearms instructor with HPD since forever. Good solid practical defense training. His shotgun classes are really good.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Down on 59s, towards Rosenberg

G2G range has idpa style matches every tue night, 630-9

May start having 2 on Sat or sun because of the numbers

$16

Loads of gun and a good start

Rios

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I have done similar research and come up with Paul Howe (CSAT) in Nacogdoches, Preston Tactical in Livingston, and 360 Tactical here in Houston.

Preston Tactical is recommended on CSAT's website, and he appears to be a legit SWAT officer. 360 Tactical I haven't heard mentioned a lot by the training community, but a look at the instructor backgrounds (listed on website) and it looks good to go.

Read some AAR's (After Action Reports) on M4carbine.net or Lightfighter.net and it will help you choose a good class that fits your needs.

NeedMoAmmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2015
    Just saw this thread. Two months late. LOL. Anyway, was in your shoes. I was fortunate enough to get referred to Kelly Venden, Criterion Tactical. Retired SGM with 1 SFOD-Delta (Delta Force). Based in San Antonio but he holds classes in the Houston area. My daughter and I have had several classes with him this year and can't say enough good things about him as an instructor or as an individual. Several of my friends also took a class with him and everyone really enjoyed the experience.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just saw this thread. Two months late. LOL. Anyway, was in your shoes. I was fortunate enough to get referred to Kelly Venden, Criterion Tactical. Retired SGM with 1 SFOD-Delta (Delta Force). Based in San Antonio but he holds classes in the Houston area. My daughter and I have had several classes with him this year and can't say enough good things about him as an instructor or as an individual. Several of my friends also took a class with him and everyone really enjoyed the experience.

Glad to hear it! Kelly is a truly great guy, with a superhero background.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    I train with a female trainer Brenda Kirkham (Sheepdog Tactical Training, LLC) (Winchester Marksmanship Course). Though i am 3-5 minutes from G2G and go there to shoot indoors on occasion, I prefer an outdoor setting. Brenda holds her classes at Bailey's House of Guns on Almeda just about 3/4 mile south from the Sam Houston toll road exit.

SigSteve

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Rosenberg, TX area
    The Rosenberg Defensive Pistol Club no longer meets at G2G, they are now shooting at Area59 towards Beasley (outdoor range). There are some very good IDPA and USPSA shooters that help the club, and many offer private lessons on the side. The club is a laid back, fun, and safe atmosphere so you can get some solid practice as well as make contact with some great trainers. I don't want to violate any forum rules for posting links etc. PM me if interested.

Steve

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I don't know whether you've attended a class yet or not, but I'm teaching a CRG-1 Pistol Gunfighting course in Houston Sept 26-27, 2015.
    Hey folks,

Just picked up my first pistol in 9mm and would like to take some classes. I'll be purchasing the Magpul Dynamic Handgun video to establish a baseline first.

I am an experienced shooter, however, I've not had any formal training.

Can you recommend any classes in the Houston area? I see there's a place called Down Range Academy. Anyone have any luck with them?

Thanks!

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Well I'm late to the parts as well.

I haven't taken any classes, so I can't vouch for how well they are done, but Spring Guns and Ammo usually has fliers up for classes, and Specter Firearms regularly has emails about this or that badass that is coming into town to do tactical classes.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I get my class packet about a week before the class starts. No pressure, but I usually keep the course at 15-16 students and they tend to sell out. This class will be out in Waller/Katy area.
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm very interested in this. Is there a registration deadline? Where abouts is the course taught?

Top Bottom