• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Wife got me a HackRF-One for Xmas last year, and within a week I blew the receive amplifier :) Ordered 10 replacements, a couple minutes with the hot air and I was back in business. After not hearing much, I bought a discone but just have it mounted in the attic. Better, but being shielded by the foil on the roof decking isn't helping things. The Hack-RF doesn't have the greatest ears to begin with, but I can still pick up quite a bit locally.
    These are cool units. I have one with a portapack and the mayhem firmware. It could do enough to get a feller in trouble I figure.

Last time I used it I was playing around the 315mhz band. I was able to capture the signal for my 2004 tahoe lock and unlock from the key fob while in the house. Once outside I was able to use the unit to lock and unlock the doors.

The same could be done for non rolling codes for gates and garage doors.

I actually have a new antenna on order for mine. I am going to run some experiments on rolling codes with newer cars. There is a video with some guys stealing a mercedes using this type of attack. Basically you trigger the unlock from the door handle and the keyless go broadcasts a signal to the key. You capture that and transmit it to the key that is not by the car. Once the key recieves, it broadcasts back, again you capture and relay. -------disclaimer, I own the Mercedes I am going to try and gain access to.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I got my general class almost 60 years ago, was working up to the 20wpm Extra morse code speed when I had to move and lose my 60ft antenna. About that time the ssb bands were starting to be about the same content as CB so I lost interest. A real clown show.

Thinking about getting the Extra just as a project but if there are lots of questions about exact band freqs allowed for the various license grades I won't bother. Too much memorization for my old brain !

I also got a First Class RadioTelephone license while in high school and see that some years ago they dumbed it way down (and don't even require it for anything). That test was killer but needed it for my college jobs at radio and TV stations.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yea the electronic ques are not the problem it's the
    What is allowed now with this and that............

Who is in charge when this happens...........
    Basically, if it sounds fun to do, then it's illegal.
    If you DO fail the first time and I highly doubt you will), they will let you take another test.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    These are cool units. I have one with a portapack and the mayhem firmware. It could do enough to get a feller in trouble I figure.
    Same, but I don't hardly ever use it portable.

My Dodge key fob is a 433MHz rolling code, and using the rolljam 'attack' I verified I could unlock and remote start. Read a bunch of my neighbor's electric meters, read all of their tire pressure sensors, blah blah blah lol. It a fun little piece of kit. Occasionally I'll listen to some old farts on the HF bands, but it's always the same "I'm receiving you 5x5, 73's zzzZZzzZzZzzz"

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    lol. They're on 70cm doing the same thing ... "How is my audio? I'm going to switch to db switch, going into charlies repeater." Over. and. over. For the past 20 minutes.

Reactions: gll

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    lol. They're on 70cm doing the same thing ... "How is my audio? I'm going to switch to db switch, going into charlies repeater." Over. and. over. For the past 20 minutes.
    If you listen on 7.185 MHz from 7-11 pm daily, you'll hear little other than signal reports being exchanged. At various times and frequencies the same thing occurs daily as hams pursue their quest to make contacts across the Country and around the Earth.

Reactions: gll

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Things are looking a little sus on the waterfall...
    1662731254377.png

Top Bottom