• ...and so much more!
  • lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The Columbia Shuttle Recovery

As you know this primarily occurred over a rural Texas county or two, or at least the main portion. Ham radio operators were called in to help with the communication aspect. The county radio system for Sheriff, Fire, and EMS was sized for a known quantity of users. There were many agencies pulled in such as NASA, FBI, Fire EMS, ATF, NHTSA, etc. Not everyone uses the same radio band or set of frequencies. Many radios couldn’t be programmed in the field even if they were on the proper band.

We brought in a portable repeater and had a radio operator assigned to the liaison for each group and each team in the field. We practice a coordinated net to keep radio traffic in an orderly fashion otherwise it is an uncoordinated mess.

This allowed the proper liaison to be looped in as needed and resources sent to particular locations as it was required.

Without the hams, it would have been chaos especially since cell phone signals were hit and miss.

This is the same procedures we use during RACES activations for storms. We practice by doing public service events like the Cowtown Marathon where there are thousands of participants scattered throughout the course. Each liaison and water stop is manned by a radio operator. I have a dual band radio on my ATV for use during the Marathon and Ultra Marathon portions.

It gives us visibility and practical use of our skills for use during disasters. Quite a few of us get posted to big venues to have a direct line to the National Weather Service if there is a threat of bad weather so advice can be given to the event staff. Mayfest is a good example after the hailstorm event a number of years past.

If anyone wants to know more, PM me and I’ll be glad to answer questions.
    Target Sports

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Altitude and line of sight make a huge difference on distance unless tropospheric ducting or conditions are in play( interject common CB term of skip here). This is from reflection of the radio signal between two points from the ionosphere. It varies based on the time of day and the interaction of the sun. Due to this, depending on the time of day, different HF bands are more usable.

Certain amateur radio bands such as 6m are not as frequently open, but when they are you can talk all over the US or even farther on minimal transmit power.
    He's not going to be getting too much tropo ducting on GMRS bands though.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought a couple

Baofeng UV-5R's a while back. Have the book to study for the test, but have not had time to do that. Shooting for this fall. Also bought the cable so I can program the radios with my laptop.​

The 5Rs came with a long antenna and a much shorter one. Have not read the instructions yet, but will hopefully get all that figured out. We had a CB radio when I was a kid. It was a home base unit with a 20'+ antenna, and that thing would reach really far away. I talked on it regularly, and found it interesting all the different people that get on there.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Bought a couple

Baofeng UV-5R's a while back. Have the book to study for the test, but have not had time to do that. Shooting for this fall. Also bought the cable so I can program the radios with my laptop.​

The 5Rs came with a long antenna and a much shorter one. Have not read the instructions yet, but will hopefully get all that figured out. We had a CB radio when I was a kid. It was a home base unit with a 20'+ antenna, and that thing would reach really far away. I talked on it regularly, and found it interesting all the different people that get on there.
    You can also take the practice exams online to make sure you can pass before you take the test.
    My wife got her Technician license 10 years ago. I love her dearly, but she is the anti-christ of technology. If SHE can pass the test, I guarantee that after a couple of nights studying, you can pass it.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    You can also take the practice exams online to make sure you can pass before you take the test.
    My wife got her Technician license 10 years ago. I love her dearly, but she is the anti-christ of technology. If SHE can pass the test, I guarantee that after a couple of nights studying, you can pass it.
    I used QRZ.com for practice tests preparing for the General and Amateur Extra Tests.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I used https://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ for my Extra and my GROL.

They shut down at the end of the month.

It is a great test prep because it generates exams from the question pool and each exam is different. It is adaptive and alters things based on questions you get wrong.

Yes there is a small fee but it allowed me to pass the extra with about 40 hours of study. I think it took closer to 60 for my GROL with radar endorsement. That was a tough test that took 3 separate exam parts or elements.

The technician exam is simple and vary basic mainly covering rules and regulations with minimal electronic theory.

You should be able to study for it and pass 80% of the time within a week then it is a matter or getting with a group to take the actual test.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area

This is the list of questions with answers that comprise the technician test.

There are a select number from each section that are used to make up the actual exam you take. Most VE’s (volunteer examiners) have created several variations for each testing session. If you fail the first you usually can take the others until they run out of variations they have for that session or you pass.

You’ll need to go to the FCC site before testing and get your FRN number assigned as you’ll need it for your paperwork.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Bought a couple

The short antennas they come with are pretty much a dummy load..good for a mile or so.. they definitely won't let the radio talk or receive to its potential

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    The short antennas they come with are pretty much a dummy load..good for a mile or so.. they definitely won't let the radio talk or receive to its potential

It is a good idea to pick up a good aftermarket antenna for the HT’s (handheld transceiver or as some say handi-talkies). Comet, Diamond, Pryme all make good antennas for them. Just be sure you get the correct antenna connectors as many radios use different types. Most are now sma, reverse-sma, or BNC.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX

This is the list of questions with answers that comprise the technician test.

There are a select number from each section that are used to make up the actual exam you take. Most VE’s (volunteer examiners) have created several variations for each testing session. If you fail the first you usually can take the others until they run out of variations they have for that session or you pass.

You’ll need to go to the FCC site before testing and get your FRN number assigned as you’ll need it for your paperwork.
    Our Radio club has never allowed anyone to retake a test during the same test session. With over ten years as a VE, I've only seen one person fail the Technician Exam.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Our Radio club has never allowed anyone to retake a test during the same test session. With over ten years as a VE, I've only seen one person fail the Technician Exam.
    The club I belong to allows you to retake the test in the same session.
    You can also take the General to see if you can pass that as well. And if you pass that, you can take the Extra.
    Saves you some money and time.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The club I belong to allows you to retake the test in the same session.
    You can also take the General to see if you can pass that as well. And if you pass that, you can take the Extra.
    Saves you some money and time.
    In our club if an applicant successfully passes a test, he take may take the next level exam at no additional fee.
    Last fall, we had an individual score 100% on each of the Technician, General and Extra Exams during a test session.
    He is also a member of the Mensa Foundation.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    In our club if an applicant successfully passes a test, he take may take the next level exam at no additional fee.
    Last fall, we had an individual score 100% on each of the Technician, General and Extra Exams during a test session.
    He is also a member of the Mensa Foundation.

Had someone tell me I should check into Mensa. He said my 79IQ should get me in.

Oldfalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Point Venture
    I am in the lake Travis area (Lago Vista) north of Austin and I was all prepped up for the Tech license when Covid hit. Have not found a way to take a test yet but admittedly I have not checked in months and would have to study up again. Not too good with the schematics parts, understand the FCC parts as pretty much common sense. Have 4 Naofangs but when I turn them on (2 have improved antennas) have not heard a single word but my altitude is 720’ with hills (Lakeway) to the south. I need to take the test real bad and find a club member who can teach me what one needs to know, not the test. Have the programming cable but I use Safari, can switch to other browsers for programming I think but really need someone local to show me how to access repeaters etc. Do not care about the upper level tricks-texting/internet. Just may need to communicate. Looking to learn. Heck, I do not know the questions much less the answers.
    Mark

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I am in the lake Travis area (Lago Vista) north of Austin and I was all prepped up for the Tech license when Covid hit. Have not found a way to take a test yet but admittedly I have not checked in months and would have to study up again. Not too good with the schematics parts, understand the FCC parts as pretty much common sense. Have 4 Naofangs but when I turn them on (2 have improved antennas) have not heard a single word but my altitude is 720’ with hills (Lakeway) to the south. I need to take the test real bad and find a club member who can teach me what one needs to know, not the test. Have the programming cable but I use Safari, can switch to other browsers for programming I think but really need someone local to show me how to access repeaters etc. Do not care about the upper level tricks-texting/internet. Just may need to communicate. Looking to learn. Heck, I do not know the questions much less the answers.
    Mark
    The way to program the Baofengs is through a program called "Chirp". I don't know of anyway to program those through a browser.

Top Bottom