• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Back when we had cars the size of tanks and they had bench seats and a metal dash, it was easy to find a place to do an install. These days everything is plastic and crowded.

I can’t see a good place in my truck to install anything.
    Hurley's Gold

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    True, not without a bunch of cutting anyway. Are there any modern remote display radios available? I remember seeing rigs from like 30 years back that you could trunk mount the radio, and run a cable to a handheld mic+display or remote mounted display.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Just finished my technician exam, 100% now just need to find a HH and wait on my call sign.

No waiting really. Go to qrz.com. Then Technical Forums. Down toward the bottom is one called FCC Updates. Your license is good when posted there and it usually takes 24-48 hours after the test.

PM'ed also.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    True, not without a bunch of cutting anyway. Are there any modern remote display radios available? I remember seeing rigs from like 30 years back that you could trunk mount the radio, and run a cable to a handheld mic+display or remote mounted display.
    I've shopped a few radios with remote displays. I'm considering mounting something using some of the hardware holding down the center of my 60/40 split bench on top of the tranny hump.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    I would be really interested in hearing about the rigs you guys have, including base, mobile and handheld.

I’m studying for the Technician exam and I’m starting to look at equipment. There is a dizzying array of choices that makes my head want to explode.

There are a LOT of different directions to go. One can spend as much as one would like on gear. My gear is all older. Some bought used, most inherited from my dad who was a long time ham. For HF I have a Yaesu FT990 and FT110d, a Heathkit SA2060a antenna tuner, Heathkit SB220 amplifier. For VHF/UHF I have a Kenwood FT733 dual band mobile, Realistic 2m mobile rig. For HTs, VHF and UHF Motorola GP68s, Vertex VX150 in VHF and a couple Baofengs but I probably use them the least, one of them started having severe audio problems after a couple weeks use so they are backups. I also have some test and accessory gear. None of it is new, none is fancy, no DMR, SDR, etc. Everything is simple, basic and it works.

I would be looking at used gear if you want to get into HF. VHF and UHF can be found new for affordable prices, with that comes factory warrantee and support. Some deals can be found on Craigslist and possibly at Hamfests when they finally get started up after this whole COVID thing. If you find something you can afford and might like, reach out here or to hams you know and ask for advise, see if it is truly a good deal and will give you the service you want. I'm not a huge fan of the cheap Chinese HTs but a lot of folks absolutely love them so YMMV. I probably got spoiled using Motorola gear when I was working in LE and EMS.

Geeze, sorry for the wall of text...this is a subject can (and does) fill volumes of books.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . . I'm not a huge fan of the cheap Chinese HTs but a lot of folks absolutely love them so YMMV. . . .

100% with you on that. I’m not a fan of cheap Chinese ANYTHING these days. (Of course, that means my shopping at Walmart and Harbor Freight is pretty much done.)

Yaesu has a nice selection of HT’s, and my understanding is that they are made in Japan.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    HTs have 2 price points it seems.. there is the Baofeng UV5 and 8HP that a couple a months ago were $45-75 range, now they are higher because of demand and then you have the other end which is $300-$500..
    The Baofeng works and gets you on the air fast..And I have a couple of them but I ended up getting a Yaesu FTD3R HT because of the quality and Digital Fusion capability.
    My base radio for my house is also a Yaesu FTM 7250DR. It works well with a good power supply and has 50 watt output. With a Comet GP-3 antenna, I can hit 7 different repeaters from my house and talk simplex with my friends across the county.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I have a TYT TH7800 in my F150. The faceplate controls come off, and sticks on the dash just below the center controls. The rig is mounted under the back seat (Supercab model), and I had to get a gutter mount dual-band antenna (Comet) because the body is aluminum and nowhere to stick a mag-mount.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    I have (among other things) 4 HT's. 2 Wouxun and 2 Baofeng. Both BF's have no tx audio. Both died within 2 months. They were not worth messing with the warranty. The Wouxuns work.

My son has a Wouxun and has been very happy with it. He has since upgraded to Motorolas for nearly all of his mobile and portable FM rigs.

Another somewhat reasonable HT is the Yaesu FT70 at about $175 it isn't a bad way to go.

Moto GP68s can be found on ebay for less than $100 and they are user programmable unlike most of their other offerings but are limited to single band and 20 presets with no alpha display. But is a Motorola and I do like the "feel" of their equipment.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I probably got spoiled using Motorola gear when I was working in LE and EMS.

Yeah I can't quite get myself to purchase the chinese radios. I'd rather spend the funds on Yaesu or Icom, they haven't let me down yet. Motorola gear will spoil you as well, they provide years of reliable service.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Yeah I can't quite get myself to purchase the chinese radios. I'd rather spend the funds on Yaesu or Icom, they haven't let me down yet. Motorola gear will spoil you as well, they provide years of reliable service.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I also like the Kenwood commercial gear as well. Used a lot of it in Fire/EMS until they went Motorola for interoperability purposes.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I looked at that one, but it only operates in the 2m band. Repeaterbook.com shows most of the repeaters in my area are in the 70cm band.

The new Icom ID-52A is the one I’d love to buy, but Icom announced that shipment would be “significantly delayed” due to supply chain problems. I read somewhere that a chip manufacturing plant somewhere burned.

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    I just started researching Hams a couple weeks ago.
    Didn't see this thread till now (lots to see around here).

I'll start on practice exams shortly I hope & get the general lic.
    Our newly elected Sheriff teaches Ham Radio classes that I'll check out.
    I'm looking for a handheld Motorola to get started.
    Which Motorola handheld would be a good choice ?

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I just started researching Hams a couple weeks ago.
    Didn't see this thread till now (lots to see around here).

I'll start on practice exams shortly I hope & get the general lic.
    Our newly elected Sheriff teaches Ham Radio classes that I'll check out.
    I'm looking for a handheld Motorola to get started.
    Which Motorola handheld would be a good choice ?

The challenge with Motorola is their software for programing the radio. They are very stringent on licensing. You may be able to find a used HT that is set up as Front Panel Programable then you don’t have to have software to change settings. Otherwise you set up your channels with a known set of repeaters and simplex frequencies.

Top Bottom