HAM (amateur radio) info

Tnhawk

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 7, 2017
Southwest TN headed to TX
Saw my first ever ham radio ad while watching the Blue Origin launch livestream (it was for an MFJ box). Then I saw an ad for Gigabits Ham Radio Store. I thought I had heard of all of them but never heard of these guys. Any feedback?

I like to do business with local Mom & Pop's: Main Trading Company in Paris, TX is my go-to store, but I'll use HRO in a pinch.

Edited: Oops! I meant GigaParts.
I primarily use HRO in Plano although GigaParts and DX Engineering are good sources for internet orders.
A few days ago I got a returned RigExpert AA-1400 from HRO at half the price of a new unit.

Tnhawk

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 7, 2017
I just started researching Hams a couple weeks ago.
Didn't see this thread till now (lots to see around here).

I'll start on practice exams shortly I hope & get the general lic.
Our newly elected Sheriff teaches Ham Radio classes that I'll check out.
I'm looking for a handheld Motorola to get started.
Which Motorola handheld would be a good choice ?

With a few hours class or practice passing the Technician and General tests isn't difficult. www.qrz.com has practice tests online but much information such as radio choice can be gained from radio club classes.

Tnhawk

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 7, 2017
The IC-705 looks like a very attractive option, as it seems to provide a lot of flexibility.

But, besides being fairly expensive, it seems to be more of a QRP radio as it only provides a max 10 watts of power. In my location, I may need more power to reach out.

I’m way too early in the learning process to make any final selections at this point. But the Icom IC-7100 is on my list to study more. The display isn’t nearly the eye candy of the 705 or the 7300, but I think the unit might make sense as a moderately priced rig that can be a base station or a mobile station.
The IC-7100 is an excellent radio. It and my IC-7300 get daily use. Icom usually has $100 rebate available.

Tnhawk

Lifetime Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 7, 2017
The IC-705 looks like a very attractive option, as it seems to provide a lot of flexibility.

But, besides being fairly expensive, it seems to be more of a QRP radio as it only provides a max 10 watts of power. In my location, I may need more power to reach out.

I’m way too early in the learning process to make any final selections at this point. But the Icom IC-7100 is on my list to study more. The display isn’t nearly the eye candy of the 705 or the 7300, but I think the unit might make sense as a moderately priced rig that can be a base station or a mobile station.
The IC-7100 is an excellent radio. It and my IC-7300 get daily use. Icom usually has $100 rebate available.
True, not without a bunch of cutting anyway. Are there any modern remote display radios available? I remember seeing rigs from like 30 years back that you could trunk mount the radio, and run a cable to a handheld mic+display or remote mounted display.
The control head of many radios allows it to mounted in a different location than the main unit.

Top Bottom