• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Guess mine is old enough to not have been locked, but alas I still really need to schedule my test so I can actually transmit anything with it at all. So far I've just been monitoring, but honestly not hearing much. :(
    Target Sports

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    What does the FCC do if you talk on a HAM radio without a license?

Beware the ire of the sad HAMs...

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Guess mine is old enough to not have been locked, but alas I still really need to schedule my test so I can actually transmit anything with it at all. So far I've just been monitoring, but honestly not hearing much. :(
    I've been using two Android apps to prepare for the Technician test, HamStudy and Ham Test Prep. HamStudy is the better study, I think, but Ham Test Prep presents the study in test format, so you can see if you can pass randomized 35 question test formats...

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've only ever programmed my Baofeng radios using Chirp; thought it might be worth learning to save to memory channels on the keypad...

Am I correct that there is no way to give channels alphanumeric names from the keypad?
    Correct. Only through the computer can you program the Alpha-numeric tags.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've been using two Android apps to prepare for the Technician test, HamStudy and Ham Test Prep. HamStudy is the better study, I think, but Ham Test Prep presents the study in test format, so you can see if you can pass randomized 35 question test formats...
    I took an online sample test and passed it no problem. Way back in the day I was pretty into radio and wireless so the wavelength calcs and such I'm still pretty clear on. I'd prepared to take the test a few times in the past decades, just never got off my butt and did it. There were a few questions in there that showed me I definitely forgot some things, so I appreciate the heads up on those apps.

I probably should have never sold my old Yaesu FT-101e, it was a cool old rig. I might have accidentally used it to transmit on 11m at one point in time.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I took an online sample test and passed it no problem. Way back in the day I was pretty into radio and wireless so the wavelength calcs and such I'm still pretty clear on. I'd prepared to take the test a few times in the past decades, just never got off my butt and did it. There were a few questions in there that showed me I definitely forgot some things, so I appreciate the heads up on those apps.

I probably should have never sold my old Yaesu FT-101e, it was a cool old rig. I might have accidentally used it to transmit on 11m at one point in time.
    I don't have any problem with the electrical, and I understand the antenna and wavelength stuff, but the non-sensical regulations hit me in my weak point... memory. My short term is good, but for this kind of stuff my long term is bad! I'll be doing practice tests till 15 minutes before I take the test...

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

I had that radio about 20 years ago. Wish I had kept it. It was a great rig.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    What does the FCC do if you talk on a HAM radio without a license?

Beware the ire of the sad HAMs...

The real truth is that the FCC doesn't care about enforcement anymore. All they care about is making money by auctioning off spectrum (witness the current 5G vs. aircraft interference debacle). They certainly don't care about Ham Radio. Only the ARRL and Hams care about that.

In truth, you can use the Baofengs anyway you want. The range is so limited, and the power so low, that you will rarely be intercepted. Just don't use repeaters And if you are caught, no one will be able to tell where you are anyway. The only way you might be pursued is if you cause interference to other services to the extent that they will want you stopped. And full disclosure - I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator. so I believe in obeying the law, and if you interfere with me, I will hunt you down - I know how.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We used to play 'CB tag' when we were kids, basic fox hunt game. Send a car out and 10 minutes later have them call out 5 counts on request until found.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Another nice thing about the FT-70d specifically is it's digital mode. The digital audio quality is much better than FM, and it works over longer distances as the radio can still pickup and decode the signal right at the noise floor. I really wish there was a $30-$50 digital option as I could get more people into digital radio if there were.
    [/MEDIA]
    Ew, digital is gross. It's a bunch of competing specifications that are mostly proprietary (arguably illegal because of that) and don't interoperate well or at all. Also, people keep using a radio link to some local mmdvm-like gateway for the first ten feet, and route the rest of the internet. Which is exactly what you don't want to use for something you're going to rely on in an emergency.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Probably depends on where you get them, too. Buddy of mine got a pair of UV-5r off Amazon a couple months ago and they were gimped.

I bet if you order them fresh off the boat from Aliexpress they are fine :laughing:
    It's absurdly easy to unlock them. Hold PTT, monitor, and VFO (I think it's those three) while turning the power on.

Edit: I was beat

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Ew, digital is gross. It's a bunch of competing specifications that are mostly proprietary (arguably illegal because of that) and don't interoperate well or at all. Also, people keep using a radio link to some local mmdvm-like gateway for the first ten feet, and route the rest of the internet. Which is exactly what you don't want to use for something you're going to rely on in an emergency.

Part of the issue with digital are simplex and repeater operations. With FM operation you get a clue that you are nearing the range of operations via audible static, signal quality reports from others and such. With digital you are working fine until you don’t. You don’t know when you drop off.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I bought a BTech UV-5X3 triband handheld from BaofengTech a couple weeks ago. This is essentially a UV-5r with 1.25 meter band added. It cost me $59.89 and included nothing extra except a 1.25m antenna and the usual UV-5r charger, earpiece, VHF/UHF antenna, and the 1500mAh battery.

I bought it thinking that most people won't have a triband if SHTF and that would be an advantage... Then, I thought what use is one, if nobody else has triband? So, I went looking for another to give to someone I want to talk to "privately"...

Found on Amazon this deal for $36.99...

BaoFeng BF-R3 Tri-Band with 2 Antennas 3800mAh Battery Amatuer Portable UV-5R Transmitter Two Way Radio with USB Programming Cable and Speaker Amazon product ASIN B07VPGB6ZV
    which seems to be the same triband radio, includes the same usual Baofeng accessories as above, except a 3800mAh battery instead of the 1500mAh, and a programming cable and hand mic in addition.

The cable and mic would cost about $20 on Amazon, so this is quite a deal... thought I'd pass it on. I think this must be old stock, as the radio is not gimped.

Top Bottom