• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Saw my first ever ham radio ad while watching the Blue Origin launch livestream (it was for an MFJ box). Then I saw an ad for Gigabits Ham Radio Store. I thought I had heard of all of them but never heard of these guys. Any feedback?

I like to do business with local Mom & Pop's: Main Trading Company in Paris, TX is my go-to store, but I'll use HRO in a pinch.

Edited: Oops! I meant GigaParts.
    I primarily use HRO in Plano although GigaParts and DX Engineering are good sources for internet orders.
    A few days ago I got a returned RigExpert AA-1400 from HRO at half the price of a new unit.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I just started researching Hams a couple weeks ago.
    Didn't see this thread till now (lots to see around here).

I'll start on practice exams shortly I hope & get the general lic.
    Our newly elected Sheriff teaches Ham Radio classes that I'll check out.
    I'm looking for a handheld Motorola to get started.
    Which Motorola handheld would be a good choice ?

With a few hours class or practice passing the Technician and General tests isn't difficult. www.qrz.com has practice tests online but much information such as radio choice can be gained from radio club classes.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The IC-705 looks like a very attractive option, as it seems to provide a lot of flexibility.

But, besides being fairly expensive, it seems to be more of a QRP radio as it only provides a max 10 watts of power. In my location, I may need more power to reach out.

I’m way too early in the learning process to make any final selections at this point. But the Icom IC-7100 is on my list to study more. The display isn’t nearly the eye candy of the 705 or the 7300, but I think the unit might make sense as a moderately priced rig that can be a base station or a mobile station.
    The IC-7100 is an excellent radio. It and my IC-7300 get daily use. Icom usually has $100 rebate available.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The IC-705 looks like a very attractive option, as it seems to provide a lot of flexibility.

But, besides being fairly expensive, it seems to be more of a QRP radio as it only provides a max 10 watts of power. In my location, I may need more power to reach out.

I’m way too early in the learning process to make any final selections at this point. But the Icom IC-7100 is on my list to study more. The display isn’t nearly the eye candy of the 705 or the 7300, but I think the unit might make sense as a moderately priced rig that can be a base station or a mobile station.
    The IC-7100 is an excellent radio. It and my IC-7300 get daily use. Icom usually has $100 rebate available.
    True, not without a bunch of cutting anyway. Are there any modern remote display radios available? I remember seeing rigs from like 30 years back that you could trunk mount the radio, and run a cable to a handheld mic+display or remote mounted display.
    The control head of many radios allows it to mounted in a different location than the main unit.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Just to clear some possible confusion with prior mentions about a better antenna being able to reach Australia.
    You will NOT be able to reach any other country from Texas (except maybe Mexico for those of you near the boarder) with a Baofeng handheld on 2 meters or 70cm unless you are using satellite repeaters. These are strictly low power line of sight radios.
    Now, I have 2 of them myself and they are great radios for local repeater contacts, but NOT talking to other countries like you can with HF radios with large antennas outside. I've got a HF radio and have talked to over 75 countries, but a handheld will not be able to do that unless you get a digital handheld and to something like WIRES, D-star, X.25, or something like that.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Last edited:

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    As in firearms, I don't expect my Rock Island to be equal to my Wilson Combat, but they each accomplish the purpose for which they were built.
    My Baefeng does the same job as my Kenwood and Yaesu radios at a much lower cost.
    ^^ Excellent comparison ^^

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    As the Baofeng UV-5 radio covers the VHF and UHF amateur bands you aren't likely to hear police or fire frequencies. Scanners are available which cover the bands you want to monitor.

Last edited:

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’m currently considering getting a HAM Technicians licence. It started with simple research before I spent $20 on a cheap set of walkies for wife and I to use when cell phones won’t work. Think cruise ships, hiking, 2021 Texas deep freeze, etc. Down the rabbit hole I went. After countless product reviews, coms/prepper/SHTF forums, I ditched the blister pack walkie idea and got my GMRS license. In my research, many of the comments touched on HAM, and it piqued my interest.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I’m currently considering getting a HAM Technicians licence. It started with simple research before I spent $20 on a cheap set of walkies for wife and I to use when cell phones won’t work. Think cruise ships, hiking, 2021 Texas deep freeze, etc. Down the rabbit hole I went. After countless product reviews, coms/prepper/SHTF forums, I ditched the blister pack walkie idea and got my GMRS license. In my research, many of the comments touched on HAM, and it piqued my interest.

There's a LOT more activity and ways to contact people with Ham radios compared to GMRS. There are a few GMRS repeaters, but not many.

Also, on the comment about cruise ships, technically, you're supposed to get permission from the ship captain before transmitting. Not sure a lot of people actually do it though.
    I've had my ham license for just north of 20 years now.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom