• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Oh, I know. But with a QSO card, no one has can easily link it to guns... like I said, I'm probably just paranoid, but I dont want my address tied with "owns guns" not because of the feds (I'm sure I am on a few watclists), bit because of crime.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Many ham operators have a larger investment in radio equipment than in their guns.
    Unfortunately it's usually difficult to store this equipment in a safe. The fact that I own guns isn't obvious to everyone who drives past my home but several antennas reveal to everyone that I have radio equipment. I have to trust my security system, dogs and insurance to protect these assets. As for watch lists, military experience, security clearance and purchases from gun dealers should keep me on several lists. The tracking devices in automobiles, phones and numerous cameras in use are more of a concern in my opinion. Whoever is watching me probably will have a long boring day!

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I verified that on a new production GT-3TP yesterday. The GT-3TP is still my favorite version of the Baofengs.
    The first two radios I bought were GT-3, then I bought a GT-3TP... They are just UV-5R and BF-F8HP in fancy clothes, as you know... That's fine, I like the nice clothes, but the negative is they use a different battery, making them more expensive now, and potentially less available if SHTF, when more preppers will have UV-5R types...

This is my current favorite deal on a radio,

BaoFeng BF-R3 Tri-Band with 2 Antennas 3800mAh Battery Amatuer Portable UV-5R Transmitter Two Way Radio with USB Programming Cable and Speaker Amazon product ASIN B07VPGB6ZV
    as it comes with an extended battery, mic, and programming cable, and is triband (includes the 220mhz (1.5m) band and apparently being old stock, has no channel lock anyway, and the price is good. The only negative is that it comes with a separate rubber duck for 220mhz (has low SWR) and I have not found a triband antenna that actually has good SWR on all three bands. The Luiton antenna has SWR under 1.5 for 70cm and 1.5m, but over 4 on 2m.

Walkie Talkie Antenna for Baofeng UV-5X3 Antenna Upgrade Triband HT Antenna 144-220-440Mhz Antenna SMA-F Compatie with Baofeng UV-5X3 UV-25X4 UV-82X3 BF-R3 UV-9S UV-5R MK3X Two-Way Radio (2 Pack) Amazon product ASIN B0793JRVS7
    The Nagoya NA-320a supposely triband antenna has high SWR on 1.5m...

Why 220mhz? Simply because, while you can still comm with any dual bander, the 1.5m band isn't included on most HT's, and offers the possibility for relatively secure comms with those others who have one.

My testing of SWR was done using a nanoVNA...

AURSINC NanoVNA SAA-2N V2.2 Vector Network Analyzer 50KHz-3GHz HF VHF UHF Antenna Analyzer Measuring S Parameters, Duplexer, Voltage Standing Wave Ratio, Phase, Delay Amazon product ASIN B08G4GXTKK
    Yes, this is another expensive hobby...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The first two radios I bought were GT-3, then I bought a GT-3TP... They are just UV-5R and BF-F8HP in fancy clothes, as you know...
    Something is different about them because they sound better both in TX and RX than the others. Could just be mic and speaker placement design. They obviously use the same chipset as the BF-F8HP, but don't what else might be different at the component level. ...and yeah they are a little more ergonomic than the standard UV-5R style.

Top Bottom