• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas
    I thought I'd start a new HAM radio thread to try and collect 'introduction' information in one place since there seems to be interest. Given the expected assault on all our Constitutional rights, it seems possible that HAM radio may become more important as censorship/control/shutdown happens on other communications systems. History has shown where HAM radio is extremely important when Mother Nature shuts down power/internet/cell services.

some basics:
    # yes, you need a license to transmit
    # no, you don't need a license to just listen
    # no, morse code is no longer required for a license
    # there are 3 license types: technician, genera, and extra

you can start with a basic handheld (HT) radio with minimal investment (cheaper than ammo these days):

https://www.mtcradio.com/yaesu-ft-65r-dual-band-5w-ht-transceiver/
    https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/bgm-bch-270
    https://www.radioddity.com/collecti...ios/products/baofeng-uv-5r-plus-two-way-radio

Free software for programming HAM radios:
    https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

A good place to start for more information is the ARRL:
    http://www.arrl.org

Members can now select a beginner/intermediate level magazine:
    http://www.arrl.org/on-the-air-magazine

Some additional info here:
    http://www.arrl.org/getting-your-technician-license
    https://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Operating_Aids/Beginner_s_Guides/
    https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

I recommend Gordon West's study guides:
    https://www.mtcradio.com/books-and-training-materials/

hopefully, other HAMs will jump in and add info.....
    Guns International

Last edited:

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    This is a huge forum, large classified section with lots of gear. Be aware that some curmudgeons on the board tend to chew up people that ask what they consider to be "stupid" questions. They also have practice tests for all elements.

Some more retailers specializing in gear

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    This is a huge forum, large classified section with lots of gear. Be aware that some curmudgeons on the board tend to chew up people that ask what they consider to be "stupid" questions. They also have practice tests for all elements.

Some more retailers specializing in gear

medicmike,

FYI, I've been a ham operator since the first 10 days of Desert Shield & I've NEVER known of anyone on www.qrz.com OR on any other ham radio website to be NASTY , hateful or even "dismissive of" new people, who ask even VERY elementary questions, that seem OBVIOUS to experienced persons.

PLEASE do NOT "scare off" the "newbies" from looking into becoming a ham operator.
    (My "Elmer" has been gone now for 20 years PLUS but he & the other "old-hands" in the hobby were always helpful to me & in fact were the ones who got me interested in converting "commercial & industrial" equipment, rather than buying new equipment that costs $$$$$$$$$.)

NOTE: The "super heavy duty" 2M repeater, which I have in storage, was built from FOUR GE Master II radios (and some "junk box" pieces from a PD "desk rig") that were "liberated from a dumpster", after the 2010 Manassas Fall Hamfest.
    (That "machine", IF it was put back on the air down on the Texas coast, would probably run fine for a decade or more, without major repairs. = The three old-time hams who built it for me for "after the storm" rescue & recovery operations & under most "relatively primitive circumstances", were "masters of their craft".)

ADDENDA: Fwiw, I'm a really "non-traditional ham", inasmuch as I'm NOT at all "talented" in radio theory, electronics, building equipment & a host of other things that hams who become "Elmers" seem to always KNOW.
    My major interest is in "after the storm" Rescue & Recovery operations and other "emergency service" actions.

BTW, "a little bird told me" that we hams are very likely to be given 25 more "channelized" USB frequencies in the 60 Meter band, as those frequencies are being (or have already been) "vacated" by the former commercial Marine radio services.
    (60 Meters frequently works very well for "relatively local" groundwave communications & using low power equipment. = In some European nations, 15W is the limit & even at 5W "effective communications" is often possible.)

ONE of my "dreams" is to find (or have someone build me) a "single band" 60M transceiver of about 40-50 watts that is "plug & play" in a mobile/portable installation.
    (ONE of the many "problems" after a major storm R&R mission has been going on over several days is a SEVERE SHORTAGE of "trained emergency service operators", little or no time available to train more operators & therefore we often NEED radio equipment that we can brief a volunteer upon in less than 15 minutes. ----- Most anyone, who is of "relatively normal IQ" can monitor a radio, take notes for other people & with little training "key" a mic & read a "script".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    When I started, I bought a study book on Amazon for $18 and took practice test for free.
    I paid $15 to take the Technician test and bought a Boafeng 8HP HT for $65
    So it's relatively cheap to get started and the license is good for 10 years
    As of right now the FCC isn't charging for the license, but that is changing soon as there will be a $35 fee soon

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    When I started, I bought a study book on Amazon for $18 and took practice test for free.
    I paid $15 to take the Technician test and bought a Boafeng 8HP HT for $65
    So it's relatively cheap to get started and the license is good for 10 years
    As of right now the FCC isn't charging for the license, but that is changing soon as there will be a $35 fee soon
    Which book did you buy?? Ty

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I agree with satx78247, every Ham I've ever known was a "pay-it-forward" type of person, or in Ham terms, an "Elmer".

Good stuff you've posted here, and the best advice I can give to a newcomer is to find a local Amateur Radio Club. You will gets lots of help.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    A basic SDR like an RTL-SDR (get one from a reputable site like https://www.rtl-sdr.com/) can be great for receiving all across the spectrum. You'll still need an appropriate antenna for the band you're trying to receive, but that can be pretty easy.

If anyone is in the Houston area and wants to see some basic stuff in action, I'll be happy to show what I have. It's not much, and there are people with much more and better equipment than me, but I'm here if it helps.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    medicmike,

FYI, I've been a ham operator since the first 10 days of Desert Shield & I've NEVER known of anyone on www.qrz.com OR on any other ham radio website to be NASTY , hateful or even "dismissive of" new people, who ask even VERY elementary questions, that seem OBVIOUS to experienced persons.

PLEASE do NOT "scare off" the "newbies" from looking into becoming a ham operator.
    (My "Elmer" has been gone now for 20 years PLUS but he & the other "old-hands" in the hobby were always helpful to me & in fact were the ones who got me interested in converting "commercial & industrial" equipment, rather than buying new equipment that costs $$$$$$$$$.)

NOTE: The "super heavy duty" 2M repeater, which I have in storage, was built from FOUR GE Master II radios (and some "junk box" pieces from a PD "desk rig") that were "liberated from a dumpster", after the 2010 Manassas Fall Hamfest.
    (That "machine", IF it was put back on the air down on the Texas coast, would probably run fine for a decade or more, without major repairs. = The three old-time hams who built it for me for "after the storm" rescue & recovery operations & under most "relatively primitive circumstances", were "masters of their craft".)

ADDENDA: Fwiw, I'm a really "non-traditional ham", inasmuch as I'm NOT at all "talented" in radio theory, electronics, building equipment & a host of other things that hams who become "Elmers" seem to always KNOW.
    My major interest is in "after the storm" Rescue & Recovery operations and other "emergency service" actions.

BTW, "a little bird told me" that we hams are very likely to be given 25 more "channelized" USB frequencies in the 60 Meter band, as those frequencies are being (or have already been) "vacated" by the former commercial Marine radio services.
    (60 Meters frequently works very well for "relatively local" groundwave communications & using low power equipment. = In some European nations, 15W is the limit & even at 5W "effective communications" is often possible.)

ONE of my "dreams" is to find (or have someone build me) a "single band" 60M transceiver of about 40-50 watts that is "plug & play" in a mobile/portable installation.
    (ONE of the many "problems" after a major storm R&R mission has been going on over several days is a SEVERE SHORTAGE of "trained emergency service operators", little or no time available to train more operators & therefore we often NEED radio equipment that we can brief a volunteer upon in less than 15 minutes. ----- Most anyone, who is of "relatively normal IQ" can monitor a radio, take notes for other people & with little training "key" a mic & read a "script".)

yours, satx

Certainly not trying to scare anyone off, please don't think that is what I was trying to do. I have been on the "Zed" off and on for years. Have seen a few guys get chewed up by some of the old timers. Usually an Extra asking how to make a dipole or similar things. Those threads usually get locked pretty quick there. It was just a head's up, more to let people know that it could happen.

Agreed! 99.9% of hams out there are great folks that just want to further the hobby. I got a smoking deal on my first HF rig from an old timer that helped get me started. I helped pay it fwd when I inherited a boatload of ham gear from my dad by donating a pretty complete HF station to a local Jr High school to help get a club started. I gave away several more HF and VHF rigs to guys getting started (I had 3 pickup loads of gear from his estate). There is a lot I don't know but I for one am more than happy to help anyone with interest to get started.

My dad was, and my son is a ham so it kinda' runs in the family.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Which book did you buy?? Ty
    Screenshot_20210112-071827_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MTA

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Certainly not trying to scare anyone off, please don't think that is what I was trying to do. I have been on the "Zed" off and on for years. Have seen a few guys get chewed up by some of the old timers. Usually an Extra asking how to make a dipole or similar things. Those threads usually get locked pretty quick there. It was just a head's up, more to let people know that it could happen.
    It's the attitude of the old and self-appointed experts (who while often being able to quote shit out of the ARRL handbook, don't actually know much of anything) that keep me out of amateur radio. Which is unfortunate, because right now is the exact time we need to be attracting younger folks.

When, not if, the "other" side becomes more emboldened and successful in limiting communication on the 'net, what other options will there be? When, not if, the "other" side decides shutting down major internet PoPs is a matter of national security, what other options will there be? In the case of a true national emergency where our infrastructure is successfully targeted (power grids, major pops, major fiber bundles, etc.) what other options will there be? We need a network larger than the crusties can manage, and worse the crusties are going to spend most of their time bickering about inconsequential nonsense anyway.

ETA: A LONG time ago I remember the old timers would blast anyone that wanted to make an antenna anything but resonant. Only an idiot would choose a loaded element over a resonant 1/4, 1/2 or full wave. Until it became common knowledge after smart people ignored them, and realized the desired propagation patterns won't necessarily come from a simpler resonant design (e.g. the 5/8 wave verticals). That stuck with me.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Before you buy anything, check your public library for the ARRL books on licensing. Go check those out and renew and take the test usually sponsored by an amateur radio club in your area.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    It's the attitude of the old and self-appointed experts (who while often being able to quote shit out of the ARRL handbook, don't actually know much of anything) that keep me out of amateur radio. Which is unfortunate, because right now is the exact time we need to be attracting younger folks.

Don't let the jerks keep you out of radio. Yes there are some out there but it is far from the majority. I have found them in every hobby I have had, shooting, military vehicles, fishing, etc.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Don't let the jerks keep you out of radio. Yes there are some out there but it is far from the majority. I have found them in every hobby I have had, shooting, military vehicles, fishing, etc.
    You're absolutely right, and I really really do want to get into SDR. An old friend actually administers the tests too, is a member of a local club in Tomball. Probably should look him up and get back in contact.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    You're absolutely right, and I really really do want to get into SDR. An old friend actually administers the tests too, is a member of a local club in Tomball. Probably should look him up and get back in contact.
    Are there are jerks on ham radio? You betcha ! Most are not however.
    Same as this forum. >95% are great people and very helpful, but there are a few assholes sprinkled throughout.

ghostrider45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Central Texas

SDR should probably have its own thread. I'm happy to start one, but other than some links, I don't have much to contribute as its an area I know very little about. Hopefully, there are some SDR people on the forum that can help out.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom