• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    A couple of weeks ago I had an incident where I need to go to the ER because I had a sudden onset of double vision. The ER performed some tests and they came back clear and I was discharged. Since then I had appointments with an ophthalmologist, and neurologist both of who were unable to locate any issues however my neurologist did schedule another MRI to be performed this past Monday. Wednesday evening around 7pm I got a call from none other than my neurologist stating that the new MRI showed indications of me having a stroke at some point between last September and this past Monday. He stated that it did not look to be recent but that the evidence was there.

Last week I got a call from one of my brothers explain that he had seen a cardiologist for symptoms that he experienced while he was scuba diving in Mexico. His diagnosis was that he has what is known as a PFO, which in layman’s terms is essentially a condition during development in the womb resulting in a hole between the upper chambers of the heart. This is fairly common and most of the time people live full lives without ever knowing that they have it but in some cases people with a PFO experience migraine (aura headaches) and PFO’s can cause strokes in “younger” individuals.

I've got appointments on Monday with both Neuro and Cardio to find out what we need to do if anything. We'll see what happens, prayers would be appreciated, as well as comments from anybody else who has gone through this.
    DK Firearms

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Strokes are a lot more common than people think. It's the second leading cause of death globally. I'm almost certain I had a stroke when I was 22 years old but was too poor to go to the ER.

Transient Ischemic Strokes happen much more often and are referred to as "mini" strokes. Hopefully you're ok.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Strokes are a lot more common than people think. It's the second leading cause of death globally. I'm almost certain I had a stroke when I was 22 years old but was too poor to go to the ER.

Transient Ischemic Strokes happen much more often and are referred to as "mini" strokes. Hopefully you're ok.

The bummer about it is that now I'm a little spooked to go hog hunting this weekend which for the past two months has been the activity of choice. I'm sure missing a weekend won't hurt anything and really just gives me an opportunity to test some reloads I've put together. Better safe than sorry I reckon.

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I've been told by a cardiologist I have a hole in the bottom of my heart. Went for 72 years not knowing it. My mother was told she had one also, she was almost 98 when she passed away.
    My grandma is 90 and I'm told had a stroke when she was in her 40's (my age) and has had multiple since, grandpa had a few heart attacks and died of one in his sleep, uncle had a heart attack and is fine, dad had a massive heart attack and survived (the infamous widow maker type evidently so got really lucky) as well as another uncle who was prone to heart attacks had a pace maker put in and later passed away due to related issues. The survivors were due to being in very close proximity to medical care and not hanging out in a blind at 3am in the middle of nowhere.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I was born with a fairly large atrial-septal defect, which is similar to, but much more serious than PFO. Surgically closed at 7 years old in the early 1980s with open heart surgery. Today, both PFO and ASD can be closed much, much less invasively via catheters however some ASD repairs still require cracking the chest.

Other than growing up cold-hearted, it’s been a non issue for me since the surgery. Cardio did a fairly intense workup (bubble echo and stress echo) on me about 18 months ago showing everything still functions normally and well within parameters for healthy people.

Prayers for health.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    The bummer about it is that now I'm a little spooked to go hog hunting this weekend which for the past two months has been the activity of choice. I'm sure missing a weekend won't hurt anything and really just gives me an opportunity to test some reloads I've put together. Better safe than sorry I reckon.
    Carry on with your life as usual. NO ONE knows what lies ahead, except the creator.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was born with a fairly large atrial-septal defect, which is similar to, but much more serious than PFO. Surgically closed at 7 years old in the early 1980s with open heart surgery. Today, both PFO and ASD can be closed much, much less invasively via catheters however some ASD repairs still require cracking the chest.

Other than growing up cold-hearted, it’s been a non issue for me since the surgery. Cardio did a fairly intense workup (bubble echo and stress echo) on me about 18 months ago showing everything still functions normally and well within parameters for healthy people.

Prayers for health.

My first serious girlfriend in HS was the first long term survivor of open heart surgery by Dr Debake in the 60's. Many had been done, but she was the first to survive long term. She was around 3 I think when they did it. Had a scar all the way down her chest, and around to her side due to being so small.

She has lived a full life and had 3 kids. Recently she had a heart attack and died, but they revived her and put a device to shock her heart in case her heart stops again.

It amazing how far heart medicine has come in the last 20 years.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    A couple of weeks ago I had an incident where I need to go to the ER because I had a sudden onset of double vision. The ER performed some tests and they came back clear and I was discharged. Since then I had appointments with an ophthalmologist, and neurologist both of who were unable to locate any issues however my neurologist did schedule another MRI to be performed this past Monday. Wednesday evening around 7pm I got a call from none other than my neurologist stating that the new MRI showed indications of me having a stroke at some point between last September and this past Monday. He stated that it did not look to be recent but that the evidence was there.

Last week I got a call from one of my brothers explain that he had seen a cardiologist for symptoms that he experienced while he was scuba diving in Mexico. His diagnosis was that he has what is known as a PFO, which in layman’s terms is essentially a condition during development in the womb resulting in a hole between the upper chambers of the heart. This is fairly common and most of the time people live full lives without ever knowing that they have it but in some cases people with a PFO experience migraine (aura headaches) and PFO’s can cause strokes in “younger” individuals.

I've got appointments on Monday with both Neuro and Cardio to find out what we need to do if anything. We'll see what happens, prayers would be appreciated, as well as comments from anybody else who has gone through this.

Hope things work out for you.

Thanks for posting about the "PFO".
    My oldest stepdaughter suffers from debilitating migraines.
    I googled PFO symptoms, and they are EXACTLY what happens to her in extreme instances. Maybe 10 times.
    Will be informing her to talk to her cardiologist about this.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I had a lacunar stroke about 15yrs ago but didn't know it at the time. Found out later when a scan was done for something else. Was fortunate that I only have some deadened surface sensation in one leg.

My family has all died from strokes or diabetic complications, but Dad got liver cancer... so ya never know what's ahead. Gotta live in order to live, yes? Mom had a serious stroke from blocked carotid 20yrs ago but is now 96.

May Father hold you in the palm of his hand and lay his blessings upon you.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    1f64f.png
    1f64f.png
    1f64f.png

Top Bottom