Meme Creator_1632072157600.jpg
    DK Firearms

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Since this is about hacked accounts I got an email from McAfee that they found my password was hacked on 1/30/17 from TGT. I had a secure password too. I have changed it to an even more secure and I would recommend that TGT members consider changing their passwords. Especially since all of this hacking has gone on. Your choice of course.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Question please.

If someone's account was hacked OR where it says:

YOUR IP ADDRESS HAS BEEN BANNED

and you do NOT have anything for sale or want to buy anything or did anything 'wrong'...

is there a place ON HERE where you can put contact information on?

I can't find it now.

This happened to me but NOT ON THIS FORUM but on another forum where I just SAW THIS TONIGHT when I went to sign in.

I know BBBass and I sent him a message.

Maybe he knows more on how to help me elsewhere.

I can't READ OR CONTACT or even try to sign in again.

I hope that this does not happen HERE to me with all of these crazy computer issues.

Thank you!

BBBass... you have my email address too.

Do I put one up here in a contact section just in case for THIS FORUM?

Who has a LINK for that?

Thanks again.

Old Lady Cate

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Question please.….

Who has a LINK for that?

Thanks again.

Old Lady Cate
    Here may be what you are looking for:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Cate,

There's a lot to unpack, there.
    1. When you get "Your IP address has been banned", you, personally, may not have been banned. It could be someone who shared an IP with you (they get recycled) or someone in the same IP block as you. When a block is banned, everyone in it is banned. That's why we try not to use block bans, though I've done it for IPs in Asia.
    2. There's no place on here to put contact information. That's by design. If your info is on a public forum, it can be scraped and used against you.
    3. Leaving your contact info with BBBass fulfills the purpose of The Offline Contact Reference Thread cited by toddnjoyce. If you go missing or start posting in an uncharacteristic or threatening matter, we can ask BBBass to check on you. That's what that thread is for. Post a note over there that just says "BBBass has my info."
    4. As for help elsewhere, I don't know the configuration of the other board where you had trouble. I suggest you use the "Contact Us" link that's usually found on the bottom of every page of lots of forums (using a standard computer, not a mobile device.) For this board, that is the only way to appeal a ban.
    Hope this helps,

Ben

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Since this is about hacked accounts I got an email from McAfee that they found my password was hacked on 1/30/17 from TGT. I had a secure password too. I have changed it to an even more secure and I would recommend that TGT members consider changing their passwords. Especially since all of this hacking has gone on. Your choice of course.

Never use Google or Fakebook to log in. (Not saying you do, just making a point about how secure passwords are useless if your FB profile is hacked and you use it to log in elsewhere!!!)

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Question please.

If someone's account was hacked OR where it says:

YOUR IP ADDRESS HAS BEEN BANNED

and you do NOT have anything for sale or want to buy anything or did anything 'wrong'...

is there a place ON HERE where you can put contact information on?

I can't find it now.

This happened to me but NOT ON THIS FORUM but on another forum where I just SAW THIS TONIGHT when I went to sign in.

I know BBBass and I sent him a message.

Maybe he knows more on how to help me elsewhere.

I can't READ OR CONTACT or even try to sign in again.

I hope that this does not happen HERE to me with all of these crazy computer issues.

Thank you!

BBBass... you have my email address too.

Do I put one up here in a contact section just in case for THIS FORUM?

Who has a LINK for that?

Thanks again.

Old Lady Cate

Hi Cate,

I just found this post today.

I don't recommend putting any personal contact info on any forum. (And it may not even be allowable).

The thread referred to for contact AFAIK is a list of those that know your private contact info.... so for instance, you could list me in/on that thread, and if you disappeared somebody could go there, find me as your contact, and ask me to get in touch with you.

If I'm not being clear and writing understandably, you can add to the PM we have going and I will try to do better.

bb

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Never use Google or Fakebook to log in. (Not saying you do, just making a point about how secure passwords are useless if your FB profile is hacked and you use it to log in elsewhere!!!)
    I agree. But on TGT I had a very secure password not used anywhere else yet it was somehow compromised. That is according to McAfee.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I agree. But on TGT I had a very secure password not used anywhere else yet it was somehow compromised. That is according to McAfee.

That's weird.

I finally changed all my accts across the web to secure passwords because my FB is repeatedly hacked. Fortunately I don't use it to log into any websites, but now I'm worried that I'm still not safe. I'm using 2FA on some important accts, but I doubt I want to do that for forum use. Tho I may have to if the hacking gets too bad.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

The compromise probably has zero to do with the strength of your password. Servers have to store you password (or a salted and hashed version of yours) for comparison and validation. Those catalogs of passwords are what hackers seek or purchase on the market in order to gain access to your account.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    The compromise probably has zero to do with the strength of your password. Servers have to store you password (or a salted and hashed version of yours) for comparison and validation. Those catalogs of passwords are what hackers seek or purchase on the market in order to gain access to your account.

Good post!

Thank you for that information!!!

It really points up the need to have Two Factor Authentication for important accounts.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The question then is how did TGT get hacked? My having 2 factor authentication doesn't keep TGT from getting hacked? Once TGT is hacked a hacker I assume can delete an account and immediately replace it with the same name. I assume this is what happened.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The question then is how did TGT get hacked?
    I don’t the exact details, but the theories I’ve been privy too are common attacks.

… My having 2 factor authentication doesn't keep TGT from getting hacked?
    No. Depending on how you choose your 2FA or MFA settings, each time an attempt to sign into TGT, you will be prompted to provide a separate method of authentication that only you *should* have. It drastically improves the protection of your account from being taken over, but doesn’t prevent every single way your account could be compromised, but it’s 99.999% effective.

…Once TGT is hacked a hacker I assume can delete an account and immediately replace it with the same name.
    I don’t think so, username reuse wouldn’t work for a lot of reasons.

..I assume this is what happened.
    It is not what happened.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don’t think so, username reuse wouldn’t work for a lot of reasons.
    That didn't happen to TGT but part of the reason the whole situation put me in a panic was because it was possible in a practical sense. It wouldn't involve reusing a username, exactly, but simply replacing that user which has the same effect.

If no staff had been online as the hack happened I have no idea how far the guy would have gotten. Thank God for the changelogs that made it possible to fix things before they got too broken.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

Well said. Strong passwords help prevent them being easily guessed but breaches can still happen. This is why the industry recommends not reusing passwords.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Hi Cate,

I just found this post today.

I don't recommend putting any personal contact info on any forum. (And it may not even be allowable).

The thread referred to for contact AFAIK is a list of those that know your private contact info.... so for instance, you could list me in/on that thread, and if you disappeared somebody could go there, find me as your contact, and ask me to get in touch with you.

If I'm not being clear and writing understandably, you can add to the PM we have going and I will try to do better.

bb

Okay and I already PUT your name on that one contact thread in case I am very SICK, dying or dead or just plain MISSING online.

You have my EMAIL that I share with my husband so IF something happens to me and since he does not do FORUMS and hasn't for many, many years... you or some person could ASK YOU to contact us.

He rarely does ANY EMAIL - I do the TINY BIT of email for real estate and for a couple of people. But he has the email info there IN CASE he does have to sign in and check it if I do die so he can notify some people via email or call them - the ones on another piece of paper (Telephone numbers.) in our important papers. My older brother, my older sister and a couple of friends back east.

By the way, I just signed in and answered you. Please check your messages.

Thanks friend!

Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA

I had that happen on the OTHER FORUM that I mentioned in this thread. ABOVE POSTS.

That password OVER THERE was changed several times and I always signed into the forum from the FORUM'S OWN WEBSITE. NOT from any other LINK.

I do not use Fakebook or any of those things. I am NOT knocking people who choose to use them.

I had a super secure password and ran MANY NEWER SCANS again.

I ALWAYS CLEAN UP and scan after using forums and other sites even if I do NOT belong to them or even SIGN INTO THEM.

Yet, OVER there, not here, it said that my IP address was banned with NO explanation and in a day or so... I could READ the forum which I could not do when I got that IP ADDRESS BANNED, BLA BLA message and I could sign in which I did do ONLY ONCE SO FAR.

On top of that the software says over there that OTHER DEVICES canNOT be signed OUT of only mine - DEVICE/COMPUTER when you do a security check in the LOG OUT section and SESSIONS.

So it will show Apple, other things, other browsers that I do not use, other types and brands of computers that I do not use or own.

It is really strange.

Cate

Top Bottom