• ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They've definitely shot up in value.

I never really got the appeal. Had they made it with a more conventional cocking system (ooc thread worthy) it would've made the gun much better

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It's a Christmas Gun.

1671684056242.png

They were 700 bucks all day long 15 years ago

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Deaf Smith: Yes, I would gladly carry such a gun if an altruistic person wants to sell me one at 2004 prices. Ohne Zweifel / without a doubt.

A) It's a German-made (= proofed) HK.

B) Most owners seem to describe really good ergonomics (which might include a DA trigger?), unique operating system, excellent reliability.

C) And I like the strange shape which reeks of no-nonsense lethality.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It is an investment. HK firearms have steadily risen in value since I was a kid. The only guns that I ever sold that I missed. Now they are too expensive to buy back.

Be careful, because if you buy one they will start a fever that few can fight. Soon you will have a safe full of HK and an empty bank account. But a really big smile.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    would you pack that gun CCW?
    Probably not. It's too heavy. I have a P7 PSP that I've carried and that's right at the limit of how much weight I'm willing to put in a holster on my belt.
    B) Most owners seem to describe really good ergonomics (which might include a DA trigger?), unique operating system, excellent reliability.
    The trigger is SA only. For a service pistol, it has as good a trigger as has ever come from a factory.

As for mine, the reliability is 100%. I don't think I've ever had a failure to feed, fire, or eject. Of course, I don't feed it crap ammo. Most of the rounds that go through it are CCI Blazer aluminum.

The downsides are worth mentioning, too.
    • Dump 5 magazines as fast as possible and the frame above and in front of the trigger gets hot enough to blister unprotected skin. That's less of a problem with the later models with a heat shield but even on those, it's still a problem.
    • It needs to be cleaned too often. Shoot 200 rounds and you need to clean it as soon as you get home. Let it sit overnight and the carbon in the gas tube hardens up and makes disassembly substantially more difficult. Also, I find the gas tube fussy to clean. It needs a .270 nylon cleaning brush spinning inside it and that process can have a couple of pitfalls.
    • Good leather isn't impossible to find but neither is it easy. Many people make holsters for it without understanding how the weight of the pistol is distributed.
    Not a P7, but a P9S target in .45 acp.
    Great pistol. If I wanted to spend too much money on HK pistols, I'd own every P9 and P7 pattern pistol ever made.

The rest of the HK pistol lines interest me not at all.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Probably not. It's too heavy. I have a P7 PSP that I've carried and that's right at the limit of how much weight I'm willing to put in a holster on my belt.

The trigger is SA only. For a service pistol, it has as good a trigger as has ever come from a factory.

As for mine, the reliability is 100%. I don't think I've ever had a failure to feed, fire, or eject. Of course, I don't feed it crap ammo. Most of the rounds that go through it are CCI Blazer aluminum.

The downsides are worth mentioning, too.
    • Dump 5 magazines as fast as possible and the frame above and in front of the trigger gets hot enough to blister unprotected skin. That's less of a problem with the later models with a heat shield but even on those, it's still a problem.
    • It needs to be cleaned too often. Shoot 200 rounds and you need to clean it as soon as you get home. Let it sit overnight and the carbon in the gas tube hardens up and makes disassembly substantially more difficult. Also, I find the gas tube fussy to clean. It needs a .270 nylon cleaning brush spinning inside it and that process can have a couple of pitfalls.
    • Good leather isn't impossible to find but neither is it easy. Many people make holsters for it without understanding how the weight of the pistol is distributed.

Great pistol. If I wanted to spend too much money on HK pistols, I'd own every P9 and P7 pattern pistol ever made.

Ben you make me jealous.

Deaf Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2022
    Texas
    I knew about the side overheating. Gas blows onto the inside front of the side keeping it closed and as a result it gets real hot. Hence it would never make it as a military pistol.

I have one HK... USP Compact in 40 S&W I got for $450. And a good gent friend sold me 6 mags (HK made) for $10 each (retired Border Patrol.)

And I find it quite good... but $450 .vs. $4500... well the USP does not overheat and quite reliable.

Still, it is a cool gun and if I win the Texas Two Step tonight... I could afford it!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

It was one of the earlier Polymer framed guns, polygon barrel bore & roller delayed. It's as accurate as my Les Baer SRP, that I paid up for more accuracy.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    baboon:
    Does that decocking lever on the HK P9 or 9s ever get in the way for a left-handed shooter's Trigger Finger?

They have also been one of the Very most appealing handguns I've ever seen.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon:
    Does that decocking lever on the HK P9 or 9s ever get in the way for a left-handed shooter's Trigger Finger?

They have also been one of the Very most appealing handguns I've ever seen.
    I imagine it would. Never held it left handed.

When compared to the VP70 which
    might be ugliest.

I have an H&K4 Thad a nice looking pistol

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have an H&K4 Thad a nice looking pistol
    I agree. That's why I have a Mauser Hsc.
    When compared to the VP70 which
    might be ugliest
    The VP70 always intrigued me. I've dry fired one and it's appealing in that so-bad-it's-laughable way. But that trigger is terrible and the sights are only useful in good light.

As much as I like the weird and funky guns, I'll definitely pass on the VP70.

Wouldn't turn down a chance to shoot one, though. :)

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

The VP70 always intrigued me. I've dry fired one and it's appealing in that so-bad-it's-laughable way. But that trigger is terrible and the sights are only useful in good light.

It makes more sense in it's intended role, as a stocked machine pistol.

Without FA and a stock, it's bad enough to be comparable to the colt 2000

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

The VP was cool in it had 3 moving parts & was select fire when the stock was added. IIRC it was one of the highest magazine capacity too.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...it's bad enough to be comparable to the colt 2000
    Inside joke and I won't go into it...but I used to want one of those. The bore axis is too high and durability was a problem and those are enough reasons for me to have changed my mind. I loved the trigger, though. It felt just like the spring-powered "space pistol" toy I had as a child. Exactly like it.

I'm the only person I know who liked that trigger. :)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom