Venture Surplus ad

Gunsmiths that are willing/able to handle a Sten build?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sergei

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2022
    Corinth
    I've been sitting on a Sten V kit for... let's just say a while, because I really don't want to think about how long it's been gathering dust and mocking me silently from the box it's sitting in. Any rate, I was curious if anyone knows of a decent smith that can handle a semi auto build on one of these, since, full honesty, I cannot weld to save my life. I'm entirely sure the receiver would somehow end up LESS attached if I tried to put it on there. Anyway, I've called just about every single gunsmith in the DFW area, and none of them are willing or able to do anything more advanced than replacing a pin on an AR-15 anymore, and it seems like a lot of the folks on the gunsmith sticky are out of business or just don't do this kind of work, so... any help would be appreciated.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    First of all, welcome to TGT.

Second, you might want to follow this thread.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I built my STEN MK II and it was insanely easy....no, really it was. The STEN MK V should not be much more complicated. Mine is however a Post Dealer Sample and cannot be transferred to individuals, even myself personally. I have an 07 FFL which allows me to manufacture. You of course do not need a license to build your semi auto STEN.

First, do you have the semi auto bolt? Do you have a semi auto receiver tube? Do you know anyone that can weld at all? Or has a welder you can use?

The semi auto receiver tube is a smaller internal diameter than the select fire receiver. The full auto bolt has to have modifications, making it smaller to fit the semi auto tube and adding a floating firing pin. The bolt in your kit has a fixed firing pin. There are modified semi auto bolts available that are drop in. A bit of machining is required to modify the full auto bolt. It may be less expensive to buy one already modified. You will also need a barrel of appropriate length unless you want to build a short barreled rifle and register it ($200.00 one time NFA tax)

You can buy the receiver tube that has the template affixed to the tube. Simply use a Dremel to cut. I can weld, but am not all that great at it. Most of the welding required is little more than tack welding. If your goal is make a perfect specimen, pay someone or buy one already made. Otherwise if you just want one that is functional but may have a few aesthetic/cosmetic flaws, build it yourself. It is more satisfying to build it yourself. There are some other things that will need to be done as far as trigger group. ect.........

For building advice and seeing how others have done and are doing what you want to do.

Weapons Guild

BTW.......a normal FFL gunsmith can't build one for you....it would be manufacturing and they would need a manufacturing license........

Last edited:

Sergei

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2022
    Corinth
    Well I finished a Sten III receiver out about a year ago, then sent it over to JBI Armory, but... well, it's still not complete (or started based on our last conversation). The blocker for me has always been the welding. I have the semi auto parts from Indianapolis Ordnance, and all that happiness, but... welding scares me, to be brutally honest. I've built AKs, FALs, VZs, rebarreled Garands, so on and so forth. It's the same thing that stopped me grabbing a Thompson kit when they were still... well, "affordable" may not be the right word, but not AS prohibitively expensive as they are these days.

The other thing that's stopping me is this one is ROF Theale serial number 0000006. It was all matching (bolt is EP'd, so it was FTR'd at some point in its long life), but there was a louse up with the shipping and long story short, the magwell is mismatched now. Any rate, I'm wanting it done professionally since it's a historically significant piece and I don't want my amateur-ish-ness (that's a word now) all over the outside

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    One person I know that is capable, but is so damn busy I don't know if he has the time. Halcyon Defense in Fredericksburg.

Their email (preferred way of contact) is sharkyforty7@gmail.com

His work is primarily Title 2 firearms.......

If he can't work it in.......he may know someone who can.......

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    You my try https://www.hawkeye.academy/czerka-arms.html

They're in Temple.

Pretty sure he built all the full auto rentals and has a full list of stens.
    Screenshot_20220614-230125_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sergei

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2022
    Corinth
    I appreciate all the info y'all. I've sent out a couple emails to the folks mentioned and hopefully I'll get lucky. I attached a couple pictures of the serial numbers for y'alls perusing pleasure. The A- prefix on Stens denotes that the part was reserialized during FTR procedure. It's an early rebuild protocol that was abandoned at some point (I'm assuming once the guns were declared obsolete), and stands as a mildly interesting throwback to an older time in firearm design.

Attachments

• 20220615_070301.jpg
      20220615_070301.jpg
      494.3 KB · Views: 53
    • 20220615_070331.jpg
      20220615_070331.jpg
      297.4 KB · Views: 53
    • 20220615_070358.jpg
      20220615_070358.jpg
      343.9 KB · Views: 57
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant