• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    I am looking at getting a gun vise or cradle for cleaning help and just giving me a good platform to work on stuff. I live in an apartment and already have a desk that I use to work on electronics and such so size really doesn't matter for how big the vice can be.

I have been looking on midway to see what all is available, looking to get something under the 50 dollar area, like the tipton gun vise or gun butler.

Any recommendations?

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    A lot of that will depend on what kind of rifles you are going to be working on. if you are cleaning bolt actions, a basic cradle works fine. For AR stuff it kind of depends on what you are doing to it. for cleaning a cradle will work with some thing like this. Without it it can be difficult to hold the receiver in place. For gunsmithing work you need either a "flipper" or a "claw" depending on what you are doing to the gun.

At the last gunshow there were some guys from rail vise selling their products. For cleaning ARs or anything else with rails it looked pretty cool.

The clamp style cradles are good if you are going to be putting any force on what you are cleaning. but for gunsmithing work on bolt actions , a padded bench vise works best.

Joat
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16650/Product/AR_15_CLEANING_LINK

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Well for right now it is going to be bolt actions, mainly my mosin and a couple of .22s. I will prob just get they gun butler from tipton for those and when I get my ar I will just built a platform with a mag insert to put the gun on and work on it.

Top Bottom