Join TexasGunTalk

Gun thieves, a re-post, an old memory, perhaps a warning

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by leVieux, Oct 22, 2019.

1. leVieux

leVieux Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    So, you aren't familiar with Laredo, Jasper, or Vidor ?

leVieux

2. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Laredo yes......sux. Jasper and Vidor no. But any town where a person can be dragged behind a truck on a chain and be decapitated by a culvert pipe must suck too.

3. leVieux

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    Having spent decades in & near Corpus Christi I think it is the nicest Texas City to live in; compared to Midland, Austin, Brownsville, Galveston & Houston; places I have also lived and worked.

Yes, there are problems. As a young Physician, I actually ran the Federal Methadone Clinic there very briefly. The drug problem there, as elsewhere, has a number of causes and related issues. The main one, as elsewhere, is the lax or absent prosecution of RECREATIONAL drug users, who fund the entire mess.

Of course, plain old geography sets-up the Coastal Bend as a drug conduit.

But, the weather, hunting, fishing, openness, ease of getting-around, and friendliness of natives are unequaled. The beauty of the Bay and Beaches is not found elsewhere.

There is an old saying in French: "Chacque un a son gout"; You are free to have your preferences, but you don't speak for me !

leVieux

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Charlie and ZX9RCAM like this.
  4. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    leVieux,

Did you answer my question and I missed it or do you prefer not to answer?

5. leVieux

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    1) Please read intervening posts. Others made same comment, so I answered once.

2) The other thieves had already removed all of the loot / evidence, so it was my word against theirs.

3) He didn't tell me his actual reason.

4) I wouldn't refuse to answer a sincere question, but I figured you could read my reply to a similar question above.

leVieux

Charlie likes this.
  6. Reinz

Reinz Well-Known

Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Thanks for the story LeV.

leVieux likes this.
  7. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Great story!

I have to say that Corpus is one of the nicest locations I've ever been to. It's a beautiful area and has a lot to see and do. However, I've had to go there on business a number of times and I have to say that the crime level is incredible. People say, "Oh, well, HOUSTON....", but I spent years working on the Ship Channel and it was positively better than Corpus with respect to criminals. And those crack/meth ho's mentioned earlier? OMFG! Some of the nastiest looking things I've ever seen! Makes me gag to think about them, and in CC they roam the streets in broad daylight. My wife has family there that we don't associate with. I'm pretty sure some of them are intimately familiar with the justice system - like from inside the cells.

At the same time I had to support a plant in CC, I also supported a plant in Marrero, LA. OK, it was worse. There was a pipeline valve outside the gate that had to be opened or closed from time to time and they had to call the cops out to stand by while someone turned the valve. One day a body washed up to the docks. It had been in the water so long that it was oozing out of the basket the Coast Guard used to get it out of the water. Grown men threw up. Turned out to be a cop that had a wife and a girlfriend and not enough money to cover both. He jumped off a bridge, leaving a note in his car. But since it was an unmarked police car, the cops left it alone for weeks until the body was identified and they decided to find the car.

8. leVieux

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    A well-know historical FACT, world-wide, is that seaport cities have lots of petty crime.

Corpus certainly is no exception to that. Plus, it is a geographic "natural crossroads" for illegal drug shipments.

Greater New Orleans is extremely violent. For instance, I had to carry a .45 to take my garbage out, INSIDE A GATED, GUARDED COMPLEX while spending the past 11 years there. New Orleans suppresses crime reporting in order to give prospective tourists a false sense of safety. We had home invasions & rapes in our complex, and had kidnappings, rapes, & armed robberies inside the Medical Center there, on our University Medical campuses.

I have never been a cop, but several friends and family were/are.

Two big keys to crime safety are neighbors/neighborhoods and teaching our women to be observant of their surroundings, especially in homes & other familiar places. For instance, it tried and tried to get my granddaughter/Med Student to pause a moment on entering a parking garage to check for feet under vehicles, moving shadows, things out of place, etc; only to be ridiculed.

Corpus has great unofficial community guarding by neighbors. Also, there was de-facto handgun carry there for decades before it became officially "legal". Shades of the "Wild West", but it definitely deterred street crime.

I have often said that, if very wealthy, I'd spend my winters in Corpus Christi and my summers in Western Montana.

leVieux

TxStetson likes this.
  9. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    leVieux,

I missed your post somehow.

There was a blank post with your name - I have no idea how that happened thus my perplexity..........

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

leVieux likes this.