• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luke1249

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    austin
    A relative has recently passed away, and since I'm the only one in the family other than him that has any interest in guns, it's been decided that I'm to get his small collection. (I haven't seen what there is yet. All I know is "two rifles and a handgun.")

He shot and hunted regularly (according to his wife), so I'm guessing he kept his guns in good condition, but the only thing is, he stored them in an unairconditioned shed on his property.

This being Texas, I'm wondering if there's anything I should worry about regarding the heat.

Thanks.

(If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.)

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    That seems like a really odd place to store guns.

I'd get them and give them a good cleaning and oiling (yeah I know that's obvious) and look them over for condition. If they were stored in an outdoor shed, I'm not terribly optimistic - unless maybe it was a nicely sealed up workshop or storage building?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The heat wouldn't be enough to hurt the metal, but rust may be an issue. The wood may also be in bad shape. I hope he had some way to protect the guns from the elements.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If he lived out towards Midland humidity probably aint an issue. The wood might be dry rotted though.
    The shed huh? That's odd, even for me.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Wonder if he had them in a hard case, off the ground or ??. There are a lot of issues with gun storage, knew a guy who kept his in the underground bunker at his house, sitting on concrete, all guns were rusted. Also did some work on a gun that had sat against the wall of a metal shed in one of the cheap canvas cases, when I tried to get the gun out the zipper was so rotted it separated at the stitching. However the gun was secure in the case as the lining had become stuck to the wood and metal.
    When you get them or go pick them up let us know how he had them stored and what condition you found them in.

BiggEZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    North Dakota
    Goodluck with your new guns man. I'm very interested to hear how he had them secured and the storage conditions. Hopefully he had them in some type of sealed case and all will be well. Just make sure you give them a good once over, even if everything seems good to go.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have bought several guns that have been stored in barns and other out buildings. Usually they were stored in a gun sock in a cabinet and had very slight surface rust if anything at all.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If the dogs and cats can come in the house then the guns aught to. Foreign concept to me. Keeping guns in barns that is.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Im mainly seen it in older families. They would have a shotgun in the house the rest are stored outside with the rest of the tools (and thats the mentality i get from them).

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    They would have a shotgun in the house the rest are stored outside with the rest of the tools.
    Tools should be kept where you use them most. Most of my tools are in the garage, but I also have tools in my cars, in the shed, in the house, and even in the bedroom. I'll let your imagination run wild on what all I consider "tools"

Top Bottom